E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Problem with my car after resetting adaptations in INPA

08-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i Gran Coupe

Problem with my car after resetting adaptations in INPA

OK This is going to be a long post, but I'd like to try and provide as much detail on the issue I'm having as possible from the getgo.

So I decided I wanted to reset all the engine adaptation values on my car to let it start fresh. I reset them using INPA with the engine off, ignition on. When I started my car back up, I got the orange half engine error on my cluster but the engine seemed to be running fine. Thinking that maybe I just needed to clear an error, I looked and sure enough there were two stored errors related to the DME/DDE. I cleared the codes, and the light went away. I shut down the car, and started it back up to see if the problem was gone. Unfortunately, the same error popped up again on the display.

After that, I thought well maybe the car just needs to drive around a little to relearn a value and that will fix it. I drove around the block and everything seemed fine. If the engine had reduced power, I wasn't really able to tell. I did notice that the exhaust note seemed more audible in the car though. I got back home and shut it down.

About 10 minutes later, I went out to start my car because I needed to go pick up my gf and the same error popped up but this time the engine was revving up and down on its own over and over and pressing the gas pedal did nothing at all. I shut it down, restarted, same thing. I checked the codes again and there were 3 errors in the DME/DDE section again. I cleared them once more, shut down, and this time the engine did start and ran smoothly but the half engine light was still there.

I decided I would try resetting the adaptation values again, this time with the eigine running, just to see if that made a difference. The problem was, now INPA wasn't able to reset the values. I got an error ERROR_ECU_CONDITIONS_NOT_CORRECT_OR_REQUEST_SEQUEN CE_ERROR

I thought maybe i had a bad connection or something so I shut down INPA, restarted, and tried again and got the same result. I then tried it with the engine off, same result. Now I have no idea what to do to fix this. The car was working fine before clearing the adaptations, and I didn't think it was possible to do any damage to the car by resetting them. Any ideas? Right now I have the battery negative cable disconnected in hopes that it will reset the ECU and fix it but I don't know if it is going to work or not. Any help would be greately appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just reconnected my battery and the time needed to be reset but I still can't access the DME/DDE for the adaptations and still getting the half engine when starting. I checked the codes and have attached a screenshot of what it thinks is wrong.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Sounds like you need to check out your throttle valve potentiometers.

Unplug the connectors near the throttle body (I'm assuming they are there, not sure) and clean them and apply stabilant 22a to the contact pins.

Also try cleaning your MAF sensor, located on the intake tube. Take the 2 torx screws out and wiggle the sensor out. Get MAF cleaner and spray the wires as per the instructions on the can and WAIT FOR THE UNIT TO DRY COMPLETELY! Also clean the connector and apply stabilant 22a.

Your idle actuator could also be bad. But I don't think that's the case if you just reset the adaptations.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Sounds like you need to check out your throttle valve potentiometers.

Unplug the connectors near the throttle body (I'm assuming they are there, not sure) and clean them and apply stabilant 22a to the contact pins.

Also try cleaning your MAF sensor, located on the intake tube. Take the 2 torx screws out and wiggle the sensor out. Get MAF cleaner and spray the wires as per the instructions on the can and WAIT FOR THE UNIT TO DRY COMPLETELY! Also clean the connector and apply stabilant 22a.

Your idle actuator could also be bad. But I don't think that's the case if you just reset the adaptations.
Thanks for the reply. I'll check the throttle body to see if there's anything around there that looks like it could be what you describe. The MAF should be fine, I just cleaned it probably a couple weeks back. Is stabilant 22a available at an auto parts store such as advance auto or autozone? I've never heard of it.. guess a google search is in order.

Also, I'd still like to find out why the heck I can't access the adaptations in the DME/DDE anymore, that worries me more than anything else.

Last edited by axis; 08-26-2011 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'll check the throttle body to see if there's anything around there that looks like it could be what you describe. The MAF should be fine, I just cleaned it probably a couple weeks back. Is stabilant 22a available at an auto parts store such as advance auto or autozone? I've never heard of it.. guess a google search is in order.

Also, I'd still like to find out why the heck I can't access the adaptations in the DME/DDE anymore, that worries me more than anything else.
Try leaving your hazards on when you connect to INPA.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Try leaving your hazards on when you connect to INPA.
Tried that last night, no change. I looked in the section in INPA where you can monitor all the sensors in realtime and the values of the two things that keep throwing codes at every startup were well within spec so it's like the problem is happening immediately when I start the car. If I clear the codes with the engine running, the reduce power message goes away and does not return until the next time I shut the car off and restart it. If you look at the second error in the screenshot I uploaded above it looks like the code was triggered when the engine was only at 96 RPM, which would have to be during ignition. Also there's definitely a change in the engine sound when it is in reduced power mode. The exhaust resonates inside the car more, even at idle.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update on the half engine light.. It seems to be gone now. The way I got it to go away, however, was pure luck. What I did was put the key in dash, and pressed the start button without holding the brake to turn on the ignition. Then I pressed and held the gas pedal down for about 30 seconds, released it, then pressed the brake down and pressed start again to turn the car on. The light didn't come on. I turned it off, then restarted it again and still the light did not return. My reasoning for trying that was because I thought maybe since I reset the adaptation that the car didn't know what the limits of the throttle pedal were anymore. Not sure if that's what it was or what but the light hasn't come back since. I still can't access the DME/DDE for clearing adaptations anymore but for now I'm just not going to worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
bazz780
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 330d m sport

Quote:
Update on the half engine light.. It seems to be gone now. The way I got it to go away, however, was pure luck. What I did was put the key in dash, and pressed the start button without holding the brake to turn on the ignition. Then I pressed and held the gas pedal down for about 30 seconds, released it, then pressed the brake down and pressed start again to turn the car on. The light didn't come on. I turned it off, then restarted it again and still the light did not return. My reasoning for trying that was because I thought maybe since I reset the adaptation that the car didn't know what the limits of the throttle pedal were anymore. Not sure if that's what it was or what but the light hasn't come back since. I still can't access the DME/DDE for clearing adaptations anymore but for now I'm just not going to worry about it.
what you did here is also a way to reset the throttle adaptation (apparently)

so might have done the trick
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
bimmerlike
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 roadster

really long post~~haha~~~
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerlike View Post
really long post~~haha~~~
I like to try and provide as much information as possible in my posts. If people actually take the time to read it, then there should be less confusion as to what is going on.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #11
iczz
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90 / F10 / F80

having similar problem now....will try to use your method tomorrow

============
It didn't work for me. my problem still exists.

Last edited by iczz; 07-09-2012 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #12
evssss1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F36 428i MSport Alpine White

Garage List
Thanks for the post! Just solved the engine light issue after inpa DME throttle reset!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I had this exact problem when I cleared all my adaptations, I solved it by just driving the car and repeatedly clearing those 2 codes. It finally stopped comming back and my car left limp mode.

Next time I'll skip that specific reset or try holding the pedal down.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #14
spacemonkey1112
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i AW

quick questions, why would you want to clear your car's adaptations?
      01-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
evssss1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F36 428i MSport Alpine White

Garage List
I changed the intake thus I cleared off those adaptation and let the computer relearn
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 01:56 AM   #16
x1ngxang
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry to resurrect this post, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU! I did the same thing resetting adaptations and received the Engine Malfunction" light...

Some background: I usually use INPA to reset transmission adaptation values. But I hadn't done it in a while and felt the need to do it after my 330i felt sluggish after. But I forgot and instead of just resetting under transmission I also reset throttle valve adaptation values under engine. Got the error immediately upon starting the car. I crove for a bit thinking it would clear since it was running fine, but it did not...

Came back home and found your post, pedal to the medal with the key in position 2 for 30 seconds actually worked!!! And the e90 drives like a bat out of hell all over again! THANK YOU!!
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #17
fryj00
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 N55 xdrive 6MT

I also got the error "ERROR_ECU_CONDITIONS_NOT_CORRECT_OR_REQUEST_SEQUE N CE_ERROR" after attempting to reset battery adaptions. My result, however, was to see a red triangle on the dash that said "TRA MODE" (transport mode). I drove to lunch after this and when I came back to the car, the remote would not work and the iDrive did not come on or respond to input.

I used INPA to take the car out of transport mode (transporte mode aus) and problem solved.

2011 E92 N55 xDrive 6MT
VTT Stage 1 | DV+ | Pure inlet
Cobb ATR (JB4 unplugged currently)
Stage 2 lpfp | BMS Intake
Shifteck 4" kittyless DP | MXP catback
VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF Chargepipe
ECS 2-piece rotors and bronze guides
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #18
Maximillius
Registered
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 135i 6MT

I know this is an older post but I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!

After resetting all adaptations in INPA today my car would literally not start, it would just keep cranking from 400-700 RPM and not respond to any inputs with oodles of error lights flashing on the dash.

I did your little throttle reset trick, reset the errors, and bingo, started up fine no problem. Saved me a lot of panic!
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2017, 12:35 AM   #19
Grohouse
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325i

Cheers... saved me from having a heart attack!
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #20
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Heh. Without reading all the posts - you CANNOT reset adaptations with the engine running. It even says so right on that screen. That was the original source of his problem.

What is less understood is the reset will pretty much always cause a rough running/error code after the first start (which is why i guess the OP tried it with the engine running). All you need to do is clear the code and it will be fine after the next start.

Basically it goes like this:
1. With ignition on (but engine not running) reset all adaptations
2. Start up. Clear errors.
3. Upon 2nd startup all errors are gone and engine runs normally.

It seems like "black magic" but trust me its not.

FYI, if you clear adaptations it also resets emissions monitors. Do not do this if you need an emissions test relatively soon...
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #21
Nafy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 328i sedan

I had the same issue after adaptations reset with Ista. Pressing the pedal for 30 secs worked for me! Thanks so much
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 10:36 PM   #22
Spineless
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i, 2009 335i

Thank you for your post! I thought I had done something really dumb when I no longer could control the engine... turned out I just did it wrong.

Thank you again
Appreciate 0