E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Intake Valve DIY Video Completed

10-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #45
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07bmw335iguy View Post
OK so heres my 2 cents on the job: I noticed pits 200 does not have the stock piping that goes from the intercooler to the chargepipe, before you remove the fan there is a clip on the fan that supports that pipe, so that needs to be taken off to remove the fan. I got the evil box off fairly easy with some wd40 and my smallest screw driver shoved into the plastic guide then I wiggled that side out with the screw driver shoved in between the plastic guide. Then repeat on the other side. Other than that everything was smooth. I have 107k on my car and have been tuned for about 2k.
Mine at 85,000 where no where near that bad...WOW!
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #46
demontwinz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

those are disgusting. I will get my check out tmw
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #47
07bmw335iguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
WOW! You were right, those are scary looking. Probably some of the worst before pics I have ever seen but I guess that is expected with over 100k on the car.

You notice any difference. It is usually with idle and higher rpm shifts were I noticed a significant smoothing after the valve cleaning.
Just got done with the test drive. First thing I noticed after cranking up and letting it sit to make sure nothing was wrong was an actual smooth idle, with no burping or hesitation. Next thing I noticed under acceleration no more vibration or stumbling rpms. Now the rpms just smoothly climb to 6k without hesitation. I've been wanting to do this since I found out about our valves but was hesitant. This video shows how easy it is to get to them. The hardest part was cleaning the monsters. I went through three 16oz cans of carb cleaner, one can of sea foam intake spray and b12 chemtool plus a whole roll of shop towels. Thanks alot Pits200
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #48
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

great DIY pits200!
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #49
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07bmw335iguy View Post
Just got done with the test drive. First thing I noticed after cranking up and letting it sit to make sure nothing was wrong was an actual smooth idle, with no burping or hesitation. Next thing I noticed under acceleration no more vibration or stumbling rpms. Now the rpms just smoothly climb to 6k without hesitation. I've been wanting to do this since I found out about our valves but was hesitant. This video shows how easy it is to get to them. The hardest part was cleaning the monsters. I went through three 16oz cans of carb cleaner, one can of sea foam intake spray and b12 chemtool plus a whole roll of shop towels. Thanks alot Pits200
No problem bud, glad you were able to get it done without any hiccups.

Now everyone who uses this video can send me $0.35 through paypal @ pits200@yahoo.com so I can buy myself some rb turbos.

I kid, I kid, lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #50
Blue Streak
Gunny
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i 6MT, 2016 F10 535

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
special thanks to OP

Thanks a lot OP (Pits200)!
I used your video and some other DIY instructions I found here to do a good valve cleaning as well as replace my oil filter housing and oil cooler gaskets. It ended up being a full two day process, but not very complicated. Some of the hoses and electrical connections were a slight pain and removing the radiator fan and other intake parts were more of a pain than I had hoped for.

One awesome thing I discovered was that the evil electrical junction box was already partially off. I just barely tugged down on it and it slid completely off! I thought that was going to be the toughest part. I think when the dealership performed the recall for the HPFP replacement, they needed to remove the intake manifold, so they removed that evil junction box, so that's why it was so easy for me. So I was able to remove the intake manifol completeley and clean it out with carb cleaner as well as the charge pipe and throttle body.

I scrubbed the valves before and after each chemical soaking that I let sit for 20 to 30 minutes each and did that 3 times for each valve cylinder. I was kind of disapointed that they still didn't look perfectly clean. They ended up mostly clean and MUCH better than they were. As a matter of fact, when I drove it after the cleaning was complete, I noticed a difference in the low throttle performance in the smoothness (without the jerkyness) and the high RPM performance as well. It was a job well worth it.

The other thing is that when I was pulling intake parts out, I rubbed by gloves inside the charge pipes after the intercooler and everything is just soaked in oil. I think that's horrible, but I'm guessing it's kind of expected for these N54 and N55 engines. That's too bad... I think it still gets that way even with a decent oil catch can installed. So I plan to do the job again in the next year or so at least.
2007 E90 335i 6MT, ZSP, Nav, PDC, CA, Montego Blue, Terra Dakota leather, CDV, clutch-stop, E46 M Shift Knob, Logic HVI, JB4 PnP, MS 3" downpipes, Koni Yellow adjustable sport shocks, RE 12mm(f)/BMS 15mm(r) spacers, Blacklines, LUX 5.0 LED halo ring lights, DAEOS (Vista) harness, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, 35% sides-20% rear tint, matt black kidney grill, matt black 335i trunk badge
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #51
E90Nikkk
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007/SG/E90/335i/JB4+

Really nice vid bro. Will be using it as a walk through guide this weekend!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #52
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Nikkk View Post
Really nice vid bro. Will be using it as a walk through guide this weekend!
No problem, goodluck this weekend.
Appreciate 0