E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > *** Calling All Members With Problems With The 320i ***

05-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #881
LPRC
Rep
Drives: 120i coupe

anyone had similar problems with the 120i? 4000k on the clock, 60 plate, 2l petrol, no engine lights coming up but having the cranks/misfire problem in that its turning over a lot before firing up.

Last edited by LPRC; 05-19-2011 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #882
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport F20

Hi LPRC,

I never had the cranks and missfire problem at the same time. When I bought the car I had the long crank issue which as soon as it was sorted the missfiring started. The crank issue was sorted by changing an oxygen sensor. my personal feeling on the matter was that the long crank was due to excess fuel in the cylinders caused by the engine running too rich. this was due to the faulty oxygen sensor causing the car to run in homogenous settings, once the sensor had been changed and the car started to run in stratospheric settings which gives the better mpg and emissions and straight away the short sharp missfiring happened, my previous posts tells my story.

Anyway, after all my problems and complaining to BMW I have been told that the COIL has now been changed and had extensive testing and they have confirmed to me that my car has all the latest parts therefore I should have this new COIL and since then it has been fine.

It seems though that when 1 or more coils start to go it seems to cause the others to fail, read mine and Jotty's posts, we had virtually identicle issues at the same time, cars got repaired with some coils then 2 days later another failed. Basically changing all 4 coils to the new part seems to be solving the issue!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #883
Stu667
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 320D F30

Hi all, apologies I haven't got time to read thorugh 40+ pages, but I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice.

I've had my 2009 320i E91 for nearly three months and I've had two injectors and one coil replaced under BMW warranty so far. Bought the car high mileage with FSH.

Question is, is this year of car affected by the N43 engine problems? I'm not sure what engine it is, I will need to check. Also are the injectors likely to keep failing even after all four originals have been replaced?

I'm thinking if it's going to turn into a nightmare I will get rid before the warranty expires. It would be a shame to do that though because it's a beautiful machine and runs perfectly when it's not misfiring.

Last edited by Stu667; 05-26-2011 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #884
my alias
Rep
Drives: 325i M-Sport Convertible

Stu, in response to your questions........

Yes your car does have the N43 engine, so the likelihood is it will be problematic.

Once all four injectors are replaced this doesnt necessarily mean problems resolved. Get all four sorted at once and you stand a chance. But get them done individually and it seems that a problem with one will kick off a problem with another (if that's possible). Some people here have had all four replaced at once and it seems to resolve the problem. As for me I had four replaced in three separate visit; not resolved. Then all four at once, and still not resolved.

You're right they are beautiful motors when they run properly. I managed to get cooperation from Williams and now in a 325 instead of the previous problematic 320. And the drive out of the new motor is fantastic.

Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 02:17 AM   #885
Stu667
Private
Rep

Thanks for the response my alias. I actually managed to sit down last night and read through the whole thing. Makes for for some scary reading, but there seems to be a glimmer of hope in the new coil part number. Has anybody successfully solved the problem with the newer coils?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 03:14 AM   #886
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep

@Stu667

Since all my problems and being told that my car has 4 of the new COIL (Its the COIL which is the problem) it has been fine. The only thing I have noticed is a slight jitteryness at clutch biting point with a cold engine, dipping the clutch and applying a bit more rev then re-engaging the clutch seems to solve this, its like the car is running just a little to lean when cold. I am hopefull that this new COIL has solved this long standing issue. So far I would say I have been successfull in solving this problem with the NEW COIL but only time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 04:05 AM   #887
Stu667
Private
Rep

Thanks mattstorm. It would be interesting to know whether the new coils all need fitting at the same time, or whether you could get away with doing them individually. Makes you wonder whether it was a coil design problem all along.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 04:15 AM   #888
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep

From my experience it looks like it was the COIL all along, despite the injector being the most expensive component out of the 3 they change. I think the COIL issue can damage the injectors and plug which is why they change the lot per cylinder when a problem occurs but initially I think its the COIL which has been the problem. To be honest after my experince and if you read my story and Jotty's story, we had very similar sets of events at the same time which basically points to..... Get them all changed if you can. There is hope though that after all this time since this thread was started there may be light at the end of the tunnel and for those of us who have bought into it recently we may be lucky that our horror stories have been short lived as hopefully the issue is now solved. I hope so as I would like to enjoy this car for the next 2 or 3 years. As we both live in Cheshire, if you see a space grey 57 plate coupe at the side of the road with the hazards on it might be me lol! although hopefully not now I've had all 4 done!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 06:37 AM   #889
CoopersE90
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 Touring

Oh fffffff......... I am having problems again.

This car is going back.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #890
Stu667
Private
Rep

Well one week after having an injector/coil replaced the warning light has come on again and the car has started pulling. Must admit it was one week of pure driving bliss, the car performed better than ever, MPGs as advertised and then yesterday coming down the motorway in cruise control I noticed the engine management light had come on. No pulling or jerking at that point so I was secretly hoping it was something else but the wife reports today it is back to its old ways.

That's three injectors in the space of a month so far. BMW were great on the phone, the chap we spoke to said it was a very well known problem with this model and told us that they tend to fail in quick succession but the replacement parts cure the problem so it won't come back. Then gave the usual about BMW policy being not to replace them all in one go.

They are collecting the car a week on Wednesday, we've told them we're not wasting any more petrol driving it to them every five minutes.

I'm praying the new parts will solve this once and for all. Three down, one to go. If it doesn't then I'm gonna get medieval on BMW's ass!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 04:45 AM   #891
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am amazed BMW are not doing a blanket repair of 4 of these new coils when cars come in as everyone knows when you get this problem it will just continue untill all 4 coils have been replaced with this new part!

Mine is still running great on these new coils, I'm even starting to relax about it and allowing the car to run in 5th gear at 1700 rpm where I used to stay in 4th to keep the revs at 2000rpm (as the missfires happened at 1800rpm ish for me) or staying in 4th rather than 3rd at slower speeds etc... Bought in January, just starting to really enjoy owning this great car.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 04:56 AM   #892
Stu667
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattstorm View Post
I am amazed BMW are not doing a blanket repair of 4 of these new coils when cars come in as everyone knows when you get this problem it will just continue untill all 4 coils have been replaced with this new part!

Mine is still running great on these new coils, I'm even starting to relax about it and allowing the car to run in 5th gear at 1700 rpm where I used to stay in 4th to keep the revs at 2000rpm (as the missfires happened at 1800rpm ish for me) or staying in 4th rather than 3rd at slower speeds etc... Bought in January, just starting to really enjoy owning this great car.
Really pleased for you Matt and long may it continue! I think your case gives us all a little bit of hope.

I cannot understand why BMW don't just replace the lot if they are fully aware they all fail in quick succession. You would think with BMW being a prestige brand they would just sort it out and minimise the hassle they are putting their customers through, but no, it all boils down to costs at the end of the day.

A relation of mine once told me a heartwarming tale of how BMW replaced his clutch on his out-of-warranty 2004 coupe because they thought the clutch shouldn't have gone on a car that had only done 30k. They even did his front brakes free of charge while they were at it. Now they won't even replace four poxy coils on a car still under warranty?! Beggers belief.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #893
liam89
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

im not sure if this has been posted already but....

i went to BMW today to pickup a part from my broken seatbelt extender, when i was chatting to the service guy i mentioned how many times i'd been in to change the coils.

he said that a new coil has been released around 30th march by bosch that fixes the issues with the 4 cylnder engines.

he said that any car that comes in now are replaced with all four (at a cost to the warrenty company or individaual) but it will resolve the issue...

So good news if your in warranty i guess....

Liam
      06-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #894
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hello All,

The new COIL does seem to solve the issue. Unfortunately for me I have other issues starting with that Judder I mentioned in earlier posts getting worse, I decided to cut my losses and sold the car yesterday. Owned for 4 months, lost ALOT of money and not enjoyed the experience of owning it. Great car when it works and very nice to look at but am I releived now that its gone.... YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to all those reading this forum and those who will stumble accross it in the future looking for answers.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #895
Stu667
Private
Rep

BMW collected and returned my car yesterday. Turns out it was the catalytic converter blocked again. Seems it is a common problem after injector/coil changes.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #896
Stu667
Private
Rep

Went back to BMW last week with EML on again but car driving normally. Got told it was a blocked cat again, sorted under warranty. Got in it this morning, really bad vibrating at idle straight away and EML flashing amber. Managed to get BMW Assist out this afternoon who detected a misfire and faulty coil on cylinder 4. Changed it on the spot and car running like a dream again. Was going through my paperwork when I noticed what I thought was the last coil change, also on cylinder four, was actually just the injector they replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #897
daviep.sco
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 2.0d SE

Hi Guys

I wonder if anyone knows anywhere in the Galsgow / Lanarkshrie area where I can get me checked (Indy not any dealers as they take the pee mostly and it has already been in at a dealer and they say it is ok). I don't think I have a problem but the MPG s rubbish (approx 31mpg) on mostly motorway drives. My dad has a 2006 320i and it sounds so much better than mine.

It might just be me but it sounds like the tappets on mine are noisy, anyone any ideas if this is the coils etc?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #898
alistairgd
Rep
Drives: E90 318 ES Edition Saloon

Not just 320

Wow, long thread.

I just wanted to add that although this is a 320 thread, the main issues I see here are NOT confined to the 320, my 2008 318 saloon has the same issues i.e.

1. Regular failure of coil packs (I've had them all done over 2 year period and have now started replacing the replacements!)
2. Creaking suspension.
3. Clutch judder.

The response form dealer so far has been

1. Replaced coil packs, injectors, plugs under warranty as they failed. Told me no damage to other parts because fuel is cut from faulty cylinder. Yeh right, the fault system didn't even show I was running on 3 cylinders so how did it know to cut the fuel? Told me this was a *daily* issue for them. Talk of coil packs becoming a service item!
2. This is normal, they all do it.
3. I haven't complained about this yet, but warranty period is up in a few months so I will soon!

Hugely disappointed with these issues, thinking about moving marquee after 15+ years BMW.

Last edited by alistairgd; 07-12-2011 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #899
alistairgd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam89 View Post
he said that a new coil has been released around 30th march by bosch that fixes the issues with the 4 cylnder engines.

Liam
Interesting, my dealer is still fitting the same coil packs as last year. Any more detail on that?
      07-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #900
alistairgd
Rep

Quote:
Hi Everyone, well what a morning I have just had. My car was due to go in tomorrow morning after picking it up two days ago and still noticing missfires. Got up this morning and 3 miles into my journey the engine dropped a cylinder, light came on, engine clearly running on 3 cylinders. I limped it into BMW who have confirmed that one cylinder has gone and will be fixed. I spent all morning arguing to get the fourth cylinder done as I have had two done last monday now a third has packed up today but as there are no faults at present on that fourth cylinder they can't change it as BMW won't pay for it so I've told them to do it anyway and I will pay for it as I'm sick of the issue. My dealer has been great but BMW will be getting a letter of complaint regarding this issue.
Hey, I don't know how you got on, but I was in exactly the same boat. After my 3rd coil pack failed I told me dealer NO WAY was I driving back out until they replaced the 4th too. The car had proved too unreliable and I was not about to drive around waiting for No 4 to go - so they agreed to replace the final coil even though it had not failed yet.
      07-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #901
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi Alistairgd,

Your Engine is the N43 engine, same as the 320i its simply not tuned the same. Your lucky getting your 4th COIL done, I paid for mine then complained to BMW who refunded it. I'm surprised to hear that your getting the same COILs now as a year ago, I was told they were a new design Anyway my clutch judder was the last straw for me, setting of in first gear, plenty of revs for moving off, bringing the clutch up and judder, judder, judder so dip clutch more revs, try again, Judder, judder, judder so dip clutch even more revs try again, oh and now we are moving. The problem with this is there is no guarantee BMW will pay for it, if it goes down as a failed fly wheel then they will, however if it goes down as wear and tear they won't. The position I was in was basically authorise a job that could cost me £1850 but it might be done under warranty, but untill we drop the box we don't know what the warranty will say! So I got rid. Owned it for 4 months spent £450 on warranty and £100 excess on the large COIL saga claim I had. I have complained to BMW customer service and said as my only claim on the warranty was for the COIL issue which is a DESIGN FAULT and should be a recall, I expect a refund of the £550 I spent on the warranty despite the clause where you don't get one if you have claimed on it then cancel it like I was doing. BMW basically reckon that somehow I benefited from the warranty so will give me back nothing despite it being such a widespread issue. I'm now massively out of pocket, lost loads in depreciation and now my finance is over the ods on the car I now drive which I have to deal with for the next 4.5 years. So to you BMW, BENEFIT, I THINK NOT. I WILL NEVER BUY A BMW AGAIN except MINI as I've bought one of those and its the best thing I've ever owned but do I wish it was built by somebody else!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #902
alistairgd
Rep

Quote:
Hi Alistairgd,

Your Engine is the N43 engine, same as the 320i its simply not tuned the same. ......

setting of in first gear, plenty of revs for moving off, bringing the clutch up and judder, judder, judder so dip clutch more revs,....

The position I was in was basically authorise a job that could cost me £1850 but it might be done under warranty, but untill we drop the box we don't know what the warranty will say!!
Oh I didn't know that about the N43.

Clutch, yeh same as mine, happens a fair bit when trying to slip 2nd gear too. Not mentioned it yet but will before warranty runs out.

Surprised at the catch 22 warranty situation they put you in. I would have expected them to investigate for no charge, report on the issue, then advise if it was covered or not. My dealer has basically said under the warranty period, anything goes, there will be no wear and tear nonsense - it's all covered.

That's a real bummer that you sold it and are still feeling the pain though.

On the coil issue and the short life span, a pal came up with what I thought was a good point, don't workshop repairs come with a guarantee period? And don't new parts (ie the coil), come with a guarantee period? Seems to me these coils could be replaced under one of those guarantees even outwith warranty....

The part numbers are def. the same as last year, he checked it in front of me on the computer.

Very disappointed with BMW here, looking towards Audi now....