E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > iPad holder via portfolio case for e9x

01-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Been getting alot of pm's of how I made my iPad holder in my e90. Just some quick visuals of how I get it in and out also how it sticks in there. I will be painting it black or wrapping it in carbon fiber like my interior but this way in white you can see it as it stands out more. Have fun guys!
*Belkin adapter is now mounted inside of that little cubby for a cleaner look and no wire hanging out

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
zshortyz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 2007 328i

how do you like the belkin receiver? Is the sound quality bad or about the same as aux?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

The sound quality is actually pretty sick compared to when I just plugged in my iPod via the aux. I hear no difference in sound quality over my stock set up. I listen to Bhangra and Hip-Hop and drive 2-3 hours a day so I stand behind this product. The second version that costs "$80" not the crappy first version which most people have and does sound like garbage.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
BoondogUK
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e90

I have the 2nd version of the belkin and can say that sound is as good as the Aux in via a cable... good bit of kit all in all
      03-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Thanks for the pictures of the coat hanger method. I will give this a go.

You don't scratch any panels when you take out it in or out do you?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h
Thanks for the pictures of the coat hanger method. I will give this a go.

You don't scratch any panels when you take out it in or out do you?
No it won't scratch just put it on loose then squeeze it to stay on the dash panel.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
Bram335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
The sound quality is actually pretty sick compared to when I just plugged in my iPod via the aux. I hear no difference in sound quality over my stock set up. I listen to Bhangra and Hip-Hop and drive 2-3 hours a day so I stand behind this product. The second version that costs "$80" not the crappy first version which most people have and does sound like garbage.
Chakdey! Shoulda played some "Honey Singh" in the background brother! Nice mod but I'm scared to try to coat hanger.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram335
Quote:
Chakdey! Shoulda played some "Honey Singh" in the background brother! Nice mod but I'm scared to try to coat hanger.
Bruuuuahhh! It's a DJ KSR mix tape so could've just diff track lol. But ridin 19's and drivin like I do it's been fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
zshortyz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 2007 328i

Quote:
alright thanks its on sale for 60 so i wasnt sure if i should get this one or the cheaper belkin even though i heard horrible things about the cheaper one
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
AdamC
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCI M135i

Garage List
Thanks for the video and pics. Def going to look into getting one of these.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC
Thanks for the video and pics. Def going to look into getting one of these.
Welcome
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
zsupreme
Knowledge Reigns Supreme
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Thanks for the idea! I ended up doing this with a ipad mini in my e92! Now I gotta clean it up a bit for presentation sake

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #13
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Nice supreme, just get a 6ft aux cable and run it all under the trims and it'll be much more cleaner
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
I have bluetooth built in but non-idrive. I use it for my phone but can I use it for music too? I was thinking about getting one of these if I can't. Also can I be paired to 2 different devices if I decide on getting it? For example: I come in the car I want my phone to be connected to the BMW's built in bluetooth and my music paired to Belken?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
I have bluetooth built in but non-idrive. I use it for my phone but can I use it for music too? I was thinking about getting one of these if I can't. Also can I be paired to 2 different devices if I decide on getting it? For example: I come in the car I want my phone to be connected to the BMW's built in bluetooth and my music paired to Belken?
Just get a ipod touch and leave it in the car with the belkin. And when you go home it'll sync via wifi and keep your phone connected to the bmw system. Best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
TreyR28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Yes, I am in the same situation as you are and I have found that iPhone's are able to connect to two bluetooth devices, when you answer the phone you'll just have to choose that you want the phone to connect to the car. (The same way you have to choose if you have your iPhone connected to an aux cord)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyR28
Quote:
Yes, I am in the same situation as you are and I have found that iPhone's are able to connect to two bluetooth devices, when you answer the phone you'll just have to choose that you want the phone to connect to the car. (The same way you have to choose if you have your iPhone connected to an aux cord)
Only problem is BMW's system doesn't recognize Bluetooth streaming audio.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #18
TreyR28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
I know, sorry i wasn't clear. I'm saying that you can use the belkin for streaming audio from your iPhone, and then when you make a call use the car's bluetooth for the phone conversation. From what I understand you can use the belkin for calls also? I would think the microphone quality would be better from the car though depending where you place the belkin.

Taran, do you use the belkin for talking on the phone? If so, do people you talk to complain of poor audio quality? Thanks ahead of time!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyR28
Quote:
I know, sorry i wasn't clear. I'm saying that you can use the belkin for streaming audio from your iPhone, and then when you make a call use the car's bluetooth for the phone conversation. From what I understand you can use the belkin for calls also? I would think the microphone quality would be better from the car though depending where you place the belkin.

Taran, do you use the belkin for talking on the phone? If so, do people you talk to complain of poor audio quality? Thanks ahead of time!
Oh I understand. I have it set up in that little cubby hole and nobody has complained about hearing me and I drive 150-300 miles daily (mostly freeway so it's loud in the cabin). But I have it set up 80% of the time to my ipad so I use my phone as a phone to my ear
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #20
DBall
ellipses advocate...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Jet Black/Black

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
No it won't scratch just put it on loose then squeeze it to stay on the dash panel.

Put what on loose and squeeze what, exactly? This is one of the coolest ideas I've seen regarding 'mounting' a tablet, bar none. Can't wait to do this with my Asus.

Also, I think I saw a pic of yours somewhere where you put it on the dash below the vents... how did you install that? Did it involve removing any of the trim?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBall
Quote:

Put what on loose and squeeze what, exactly? This is one of the coolest ideas I've seen regarding 'mounting' a tablet, bar none. Can't wait to do this with my Asus.

Also, I think I saw a pic of yours somewhere where you put it on the dash below the vents... how did you install that? Did it involve removing any of the trim?
Right once the weather starting rising and my first summer driving this car I needed the ac. So all I did was flip the hanger to the bottom. I'll add some pics of the new way below the vents.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #22
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep

Hope these help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0