Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Opinions on broken lug nuts

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Opinions on broken lug nuts

First off let me say that I know this is not a BMW I'm talking about. However, I feel more comfortable asking you guys, then jumping on a random Range Rover forum, registering, posting this topic, and never logging onto that forum again.

On with the story.....

So my mother drives a '09 Range Rover Sport and my father opted for the Supercharged version.....why my mom drives the only boosted car we own with the most amount of HP....I DON'T KNOW.

Anyway with the Supercharged version comes the 19" wheels with performance summer tires. We have to mount snows every winter however this winter poses a problem.

We go to STS tire to have them remove the wheels, remove the summer tires, mount and balance the winter tires, and install them on the car.

My mom gets a call from STS telling her of the situation and how they cannot finish/return our car until tomorrow morning. They tell her that the nuts have rusted through and broken.

My mom calls me and I call BS. I think STS wants to charge her for new lug nuts and reuse the old ones.....keep in mind this is a 2 year old car with less than 15k on the ODO.

My mom calls the dealer and they tell her that she needs to buy new lugs, have them installed (at STS), and then bring the broken lugs to them with the car.

Here are the pictures. You can clearly see the rust is only on the inside/outside of the surfaces....not through the metal (I think they are made of galvanized steel).

Sorry about the flash.

[IMG]http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/*********/100_1964.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/*********/100_1967.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/*********/100_1966.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/*********/100_1965.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/*********/100_1968.jpg[/IMG]

So who do you guys think is to blame?

I am blaming the dealer because, and this is just my theory, if the nuts were properly torqued, then they would come off no problem unless the nuts rusted into the wheel and became seized....the pictures don't show the other end of the lug nuts but they are NOT rusted.

Taking off the lugs should not break them like that unless they were over-torqued, no?

My parents aren't worried about being reimbursed but I am curious as to who is at fault! What sucks is that I know the dealer won't reimburse us because they lugs were taken off, off site.

And what disturbs me the most is that this (over-torque) "theoretically" occurred at the dealer....who should know how to torque a set of wheels for gods sake.

For those who read through, thanks for reading! I know it was alot but it needed context.

EDIT: Is there anyway to measure torque, on an already tightened lug nut?

Last edited by fdriller9; 12-08-2010 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
The only thing I can see is they were over torqued, more than likely with and impact wrench. Some people are lazy and instead of putting them on my hand and torqueing them to spec the just put the lug nut in the socket and start it then run it all way down and hold the trigger for a few sec. This will in turn break them, esp. if they are a bit weak from rust. The people to blame are whoever put the lugs on last.

There is a way to tell what their torque was, but it isn't entirely accurate b/c rust and corrosion cause the lug to stick a bit. But if the lug nut is on and if you have a digital torque wrench(others may do it but I know the digital craftsman I have does) and go to loosen the lug nut the digital screen will show the torque on the wrench before it broke loose. Hope this helps!

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
^Thanks.....yea I'm thinking the same thing. Over torqued.

Sucks I can't prove the dealer did it though. They were the last ones to mount wheels on her car. I would say April, she got the summers mounted/balanced and installed on the car.

I hate dealers.....the BMW dealer by me quoted my dad $500+ to replace the angel eye bulb on his E65. I literally just got done swapping the bulb out. I did it in 45 minutes....and the bulb is $22.90 My hands still hurt because the space was so damn small!!

Stealerships....
Appreciate 0