E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > LED indicator problem

07-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Steed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 2009

LED indicator problem

My standard 2009 E91 has developed a problem with the right rear LED indicator.

When indicating right, the interior indicator light flashes very quickly which usually means a blown bulb. The fault appears to be the right rear LED indicator bulb(s) which work but are much dimmer than usual.

The hazard warning light also produces the same problem.

I have checked the fuses which appear to be OK, and removed and refitted the bulb holders with no effect.

Any pointers?

John
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
kevin@bndynamix
Private
Rep
Drives: combo van

There is known faults with led indicators with 3series tourings get in touch with dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Steed
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Kevin, will give them a try.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steed View Post
My standard 2009 E91 has developed a problem with the right rear LED indicator.

When indicating right, the interior indicator light flashes very quickly which usually means a blown bulb. The fault appears to be the right rear LED indicator bulb(s) which work but are much dimmer than usual.

The hazard warning light also produces the same problem.

I have checked the fuses which appear to be OK, and removed and refitted the bulb holders with no effect.

Any pointers?

John
If you take the car to a BMW dealer, they should replace the rear lights on a 2009 car due to a recall as these lights were a known failure.

I've had mine done back in April after one of the LED lights bars failed.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Steed
Private First Class
Rep

Booked the car into the dealers having told them very clearly what the problem was. Two hours later they agreed that some of the LED's were not working and it would need a new rear light unit and they only fit them as a pair and don't keep any in stock..

It took them two hours to arrive at the same conclusion as me. Apparently there is no known problem with E91 LED lighting units only the 1 series cars and it goes back for repair later this week at my own cost.

The reality of the situation is that the dealership showed negligible interest in fitting the new light unit which I had booked in for! However they took a lot of time and care in giving the car a health check and advising me of tyre depth brake pad wear etc even though the car was only serviced less than 1500 miles ago with no advisories.

So another week of driving without an indicator which to me is more safety related than tyres which I already knew are between 3 and 4mm.

I need to either find a good independent or the car goes!!!

Rant over....
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

I feel the same as you, I took my car to the dealer for some defects after buying it approved used.

Battery went flat with the ignition on for 5-10 minutes tops. Now I know that is not right, plus I work for Mercedes I'm level 3 nvq qualified so have a very good mechanical background. To which bmw said battery is at 61% charge yet I drove over 15 miles to that dealer! So why is it so flat.

Also the engine had a hesitation while accelerating gentally, no fault found. (No road test performed as mileage was exactly the same as what the read from my key)

3rd thing was coolant temp at 82c while driving hard or slow for any length of time. Again no road test was performed so fault was not found. There excuse was it got to 93c in the garage. Well no **** it will do as the stats open just too early!

Then to top it all off they damaged my wing while it was in, then they said oh we always use wing covers! Well when I went back for them to polish it, I could see quite clearly they was not being used through an open door!

I got my wing paid for just by stating the facts of there poor repair/ work procedure! I'm still a little disheartened by that and will effect my next car purchase possibly back to the VAG cars as I enjoyed driving it more and had less problems so far!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steed View Post
Booked the car into the dealers having told them very clearly what the problem was. Two hours later they agreed that some of the LED's were not working and it would need a new rear light unit and they only fit them as a pair and don't keep any in stock..

It took them two hours to arrive at the same conclusion as me. Apparently there is no known problem with E91 LED lighting units only the 1 series cars and it goes back for repair later this week at my own cost.

The reality of the situation is that the dealership showed negligible interest in fitting the new light unit which I had booked in for! However they took a lot of time and care in giving the car a health check and advising me of tyre depth brake pad wear etc even though the car was only serviced less than 1500 miles ago with no advisories.

So another week of driving without an indicator which to me is more safety related than tyres which I already knew are between 3 and 4mm.

I need to either find a good independent or the car goes!!!

Rant over....
Change your dealer and ring BMW UK because they are talking rubbish.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Steed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
Change your dealer and ring BMW UK because they are talking rubbish.
I would like to change the dealer, but I suspect I will have to go through the same process again as they don't appear to be able to do anything unless the computer says so. Will try calling BMW UK and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Steed
Private First Class
Rep

Thought I would provide an update on this thread.

BMW supplied the parts (two new tail light units) as a goodwill gesture and I paid the labour costs (£75 including VAT)

Not to bad, and a slight restoration of my faith in BMW dealers but still a lot of time and effort to replace a bulb.

Thanks to everyone for your input which was very helpful in my approach to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

Looks like my one led is gone. Same problem.

58 plate. What are the chances of BMW cover the costs. Its crazy the leds cant be changed and require a whole new unit
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
Hopeful
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 30d 2018

This has been covered before, you may be able to repair it:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...d#post13344108
Appreciate 0