E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Any difference between charge pipes?

02-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

Any difference between charge pipes?

Given that I have an IC, DPs, DCIs, exhaust, and Procede, probably well past time to get a charge pipe. Been out of the scene for a while, so I am trying to search through posts and get caught up to speed. Wondering if there is any substantive difference between charge pipes? Does diameter matter? Not going to do meth, so bungs are irrelevant. Bungholes. Heh... hehe....

So, fellas, which charge pipe is the right charge pipe for me? Or should I just get the cheapest one from a reputable company?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Robert@vishnu
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette C6 Z06

Regarding CP, it really depends on what you are trying to do and the set up you want. Our CP is a direct fit to a factory or aftermarket IC. We can even pretap methanol bungs if you plan on running it in the future. By volume I don't think there is another company's CP has greater volume. The reason for the volume is not for glory but for the purpose of atomizing methanol to air mixture prior to entering the engine. If you don't plan on running meth this upgrade is still great. Many factory CP tents to get damage or pop off under high boost applications so with our charge pipe using T-Bolt and HD clamps this will never pop off. You will pick up about 2~4whp. PM me and I can give you a quote as I have N55 in stock!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wren57 View Post
Given that I have an IC, DPs, DCIs, exhaust, and Procede, probably well past time to get a charge pipe. Been out of the scene for a while, so I am trying to search through posts and get caught up to speed. Wondering if there is any substantive difference between charge pipes? Does diameter matter? Not going to do meth, so bungs are irrelevant. Bungholes. Heh... hehe....

So, fellas, which charge pipe is the right charge pipe for me? Or should I just get the cheapest one from a reputable company?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wren57 View Post

What you want to look for is the CNC machined throttle body coupler for a secure fit. Versions use the silicone couplers can loosen up or slip off can cause boost leak. N55 CP from ER has been proven to be track worthy with 3 days at Laguna Seca.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Versions use the silicone couplers can loosen up or slip off can cause boost leak. N55 CP from ER has been proven to be track worthy with 3 days at Laguna Seca.
my ER cp slipped off once... because the coupler supplied is too damn small. I know the n55 ETS cp provides a longer angled coupler that appears to provide a much better fitment. I do not trust my ER cp to be honest.
      02-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

im fbo and havent had a problem with my charge pipe yet :knocksonwood:
      02-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Some are nicer than others. Ideally you want one that has a CNC flange to mount properly to the throttle body without having to resort to hose clamps that can blow off. The BMS N55 Chargepipe is a full 3" and has the proper OEM mounting hardware. Another difference is the meth bung itself. It must be short and open up inside to allow a full 85 degree spray pattern out of the nozzle. Otherwise the meth will spray against the bung sides and provide poor atomization. Here are a couple photos of BMS' bung.

Mike
Attached Images

Appreciate 0