E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Friend says he will never buy bmw because of my 328i

05-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #23
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

I have manual sport seats. My past BMWs all had power seats, and I thought I would hate the manual seats. In reality, I never think about them. Well, except when the dealer moves them... I feel like I can never get it back the way it was! Anyway, totally not a deal breaker in the end.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #24
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

I learned that after buying my car. Once you get the car, any addons are expensive.

I did buy used and saved a ton. And the car had almost everything I wanted. Only thing I was missing was BT audio, which I fixed by buying the BB Music Gateway.

Now, I did test drive the G37 sport, non sport, and Lexus IS350. Both very nice and boring. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #25
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Buy used. Just got a '10 CPO E92 - sport pkg, prem. pkg, cold weather pkg, parking distance control, iDrive/Navi, etc, etc... Original owner stuck the window sticker in the owner's manual - $48,600. I got it for $25K with 28000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #26
moorlander
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 x5, 2024 x3 on order

I too bought used. My 2011 had an original MSRP of nearly $59k (GASP) and I got it coming off a 2 yr lease with 22k miles for $37.7k. It has every option except the heated steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #27
7daysaweek
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan (sport)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
People always rag on my car because a Kia has more options
My gf has a Kia. She's got "blueteeth", navigation, power/heated/cooled seats, etc. etc. etc.

My car is still more fun to drive AND I don't have to have my music interrupted when I get a phone call.

It's funny the one I get the most crap about from friends is the lack of power seats.... apparently it's very inconvenient to have to pull a lever to scoot the seat forward/backwards. I always tell them it's to save weight.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #28
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Oldboy View Post
Did you buy the car used? Are you under CPO or factory warranty? IF CPO then yeah, they won't do it.
Uh no I was under full warranty not cpo. The SA was like I have to check with the boss. They came back and said sorry BMW only covers peelling paint on the body not trim. Now most the paint has peeled and I have bright bare metal strips on the top of my car. Another illusioneople have of bmw. They have dome type of amazing service where they take care of you better than Kia. Their service no better than chevy
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #29
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
You never buy them new, let someone else take the hit. I bought mine loaded when it was 3 yrs. old for 22500 loaded with 19k on it.
Well ya that was the idea, which is why I bought used. But like I said, now I'm stuck with a car that's missing BT and Satellite radio since I didn't get to just order what I wanted from the factory.

Now I have to decide what's best. Spending 1000$ putting the BMW sat tuner in to get Sirius and then rigging up some kind of Parrot BT(and still being stuck with BMW's sorry excuse for ipod integration). Or just getting an aftermarket HU that comes with all this stuff(plus a proper Ipod integration) and dealing with the issues that go along with that.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #30
moorlander
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

But it's a KIA. Need we say more?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #31
moorlander
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
Well ya that was the idea, which is why I bought used. But like I said, now I'm stuck with a car that's missing BT and Satellite radio since I didn't get to just order what I wanted from the factory.

Now I have to decide what's best. Spending 1000$ putting the BMW sat tuner in to get Sirius and then rigging up some kind of Parrot BT(and still being stuck with BMW's sorry excuse for ipod integration). Or just getting an aftermarket HU that comes with all this stuff(plus a proper Ipod integration) and dealing with the issues that go along with that.

Just buy an aftermarket Sirius that goes on the dash. Tuck it away between the wheel and the drives window and no one will ever see it but you. And is bluetooth really that cool when you can just put your phone on speaker phone?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #32
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I also notice 6spd and 2 door makes these cars cost a ton more
6spd makes sense because they are more rare. But coupe is just nothing but a headache, I have no idea why people want those?? There is no frame on the door window, so you get constant wind noise. And because of that missing window frame it has to drop the window a pinch every time you open the door, which works awesome in the winter when your windows are frozen all the damn time. So now your window constantly catches on the body when you close the door. Window feels totally flimsy and I worry about breaking it every time I close the door and the window catches.

Your seatbelt sits so far back that you have to be a friggin yoga master to reach back for it.

Back seat is a total slut to use for anything.

I made the mistake of buying a coupe for my last BMW because I got a good deal on it. With the E90 I got a sedan again and couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #33
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:

When buying you have to look to find the equipment you want, you could always buy a Honda and get all these options standard but BMW makes all things an option.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #34
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
Just buy an aftermarket Sirius that goes on the dash. Tuck it away between the wheel and the drives window and no one will ever see it but you. And is bluetooth really that cool when you can just put your phone on speaker phone?
One thing that drives me nuts is wires strewn about in my car. And I absolutely refuse to run a some tacky tuner antenna to my roof when the car comes with one built in to the sharkfin. And even if I found a clean way to mount that aftermarket unit I wouldn't have steering wheel control of it. Me being able to see that gawdy tuner module glued to my window would drive me more crazy than other people being able to see it.

I already figured out that the 7th gen Ipod Nano fits perfectly in the ash tray, and it has the new smaller charge port, which is on the bottom with the AUX jack. So I am going to pull my center concole off and just run the charger and AUX cable underneath and to the ashtray, then all that sh!t will be out of sight at least. Might just settle for that and ditch the idea of Sirius all together unless I can find a good deal on a used BMW tuner.

I just can't believe how much hassle this all is in this car, when all of my E46's were as simple as installing a Dice or USA-Spec unit in the car. Really wish I knew about these things up front so I could've held out for a fully loaded car.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #35
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
When buying you have to look to find the equipment you want, you could always buy a Honda and get all these options standard but BMW makes all things an option.
Yup live and learn I guess. If I ever buy a 5th BMW I will know for then.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #36
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

did he drive it? maybe if he got a good feelf or the handling dynamics he'd change his mind. i'd take a better drive over gizmo's / gadgets.
      05-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #37
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcho View Post
did he drive it? maybe if he got a good feelf or the handling dynamics he'd change his mind. i'd take a better drive over gizmo's / gadgets.
He doesn't think they drive any better than a luxury Japanese car. Even if it did all he talks about is tech.. me personally don't like tech that will break and cost me 2k such as adaptive hid
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #38
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:

Or you can buy this and cheaply resolve your bluetooth blues:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Bluetoo...hands-free+kit

Works flawlessly for me!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #39
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Before I got my BMW my friend used to like the company now he says he will buy a luxury Japanese car. Mostly due to the fact that nothing comes standard on the cars. He says they cheap out on things like standard nav system, blue tooth, leather seats and hids.

I kinda agree that they need to step up the standard package. Also adding packages make the price soar. Also does a base 5 series come with much more tan base 3?
Yes the 5 series comes fairly loaded, navi is standard. I was looking at the F30s when I was at the dealership getting my battery cable replaced and I must say a stock F30 328 is not worth the money. The damn thing doesn't even have HIDs, which is pretty much standard these days.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #40
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
I was just going to say most Hyundai and Kia have more standard options
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #41
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I was just going to say most Hyundai and Kia have more standard options
I know rightt
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #42
rbtamms
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 and 2013 F25

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
My 328i base compare to my previous Lexus & Acura is a downgrade for me in terms of standard features. I just want to try BMW anyway & one thing I can say...although the BMW base is not as good as the Lexus & Acura base...BMW is fun to drive & thats what made me decide to pay off my car which I didn't do on my previous cars.
      05-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #43
CWysong
tuned n dropped 335xi
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Xdrive e90

BUY USED!

a year ago, i picked up a 2009 335XI fully loaded minus NAV. It has 8400 miles on a 3 year old car! And the price was $33000. The sticker price was above 50k new. Ill gladly save that kind of cash for 8k miles. The only feature I did not get was the nav. (and it had 335i sport wheels on it, but i dont think the dealership realized this, their loss!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timujin View Post
^ I saved $14000 buying a 6k miles near year old car. Your results may vary.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #44
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

You're paying for performance first, then the features on top. Thats why BMW's start out so much more expensive.

If your friend likes bells and whistles, he'll love Audi. I love our Q5 myself because of its standard features, but theres no doubt it doesn't compare in performance to our BMWs.

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0