E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Advice wanted: OEM slip-ons or muffler delete

04-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
BAMxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Advice wanted: OEM slip-ons or muffler delete

Hello.

So I'm at a crossroads here. I don't have a lot of cash that I want to spend on my exhaust, but I really want to get rid of my ugly bare pipes sticking out of the back of my car. When I was looking around for the OEM slip-ons, I learned that I could probably do a muffler delete for about the same price as buying the slip-ons. I like the idea of getting a little extra sound for my money, and I've seen a lot of positive feedback from guys running the muffler delete, but I was just wondering what you guys think. With everything else being equal, would you keep your factory exhaust, or take out the muffler?

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to start yet another muffler delete thread, nor am I asking "you guys ever hear of this muffler delete thing?!" I just wanted a little helpful advice.

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
You're going to get more than just "a little" sound for your money. From what I understand, a muffler delete is VERY loud. I know people who have re-installed their muffler because they hated the drone.

It all comes down to if you're looking to make your car very loud, or if you're looking to add an aesthetic touch to your exhaust.

IMO, if you don't have money to spend on an exhaust, don't cheap out and cut off your muffler. I think a muffler delete gives the car a very unrefined sound. It will have sound, but it won't have good sound.

So, my vote would go toward the tips.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
c_jeong89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 TiAg

If I were you I would try and find someone in the area that has a muffler delete to see what it sounds like before you get it. Some people love it some people hate it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
BAMxi
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Right on. I've got one for the tips and a good call on trying to find somebody in the area. Thanks for the replies guys...keep them coming everybody!
      04-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
Wlew
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Do not do a muffler delete. ever. thats my personal opinion. Save your money and get a proper exhaust set up like the MMW CS.
      04-18-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
E90-07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 328i

+1 if you want noise get a real exhaust i was in the same position as you almost chopped of the muffler but got the performance exhaust instead
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
qclik
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e92

i have muffler delete on my e92 and i regret that immediately when i rev it at the muffler shop, its drones alot, besides drone its super loud that each time u step on gas no matter on what rpm, i felt thats pretty rice loud, cause its not deep, just loud. Also when i am cruising without stepping gas, it keep farting/drone.

Now i ended up getting a ikon muffler.

you could looks for exhaust tips, cut and weld it on the oem muffler, if that way is cheaper than the slip-on. btw i got Cyba dual single layer exhaust tip off when i install the ikon, if u interest at that i could let it go cheap
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 01:24 AM   #8
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Mine is pretty deep and barks pretty good throughout the rev range. I've had a couple E46 guys tell me it sounds "very BMW" (good apparently) from the rear so I'm happy with it. Oh yeah, as for drone, I can comfortably drive with my windows up without raising my voice beyond library level. How long will that last after 2nd cat delete and headers? Probably not long. lol

The muffler delete definitely isn't for everyone. I think it also has a lot to do with what tips and size piping you use. The 330 guys will definitely notice an entirely different sound because of the 3 stage manifold.

I will just say to the people that hate on it so much, I'm putting 5 more whp and 10 more ftlbs or tq over stock with just it and a K&N drop in. I'd be willing to bet the BMW PE maybe puts out the same kind of numbers but I very seriously doubt it'll put down more.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMxi View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to start yet another muffler delete thread...
But you just did! Jk.

The only thing I could say; is "Hear it before you do it". Like AlpineSwift said; its REALLY not for everybody.

If you use your car for corporate reasons or just need it to be quiet at times, this is not an option since your car will be loud at ALL TIMES; wether you step on it or not.

This is the difference with the MMW or PE; its quiet when you need it; but still able to unleash the beast when needed. There's dozens of videos on youtube about that mod; but its damn louder then that in person let me tell ya.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
BAMxi
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Good stuff, guys. I appreciate your input . Sounds like I'm going to need to hit up the regional section to see if anybody in the KC area has the MD I can listen to. And I have watched all of the videos in that muffler delete media thread (pretty handy) as well as AlpineSwift's video. My theory is that its tough to tell how loud something is by watching videos online, as my speakers have a volume knob. Also, Alpine, what tips do you have? And did you ask for a specific type of piping? Really, i have just been torn between doing the MD or just leaving the exhaust alone. It's not that I don't have the cash to drop on a full muffler setup, I just don't think I can justify spending $600-$1000+ on the exhaust when I've got other stuff I'd rather spend it on that I think would give me greater enjoyment (not car related). Im still open to any feedback guys, keep it coming!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
guerilla twang
I do my crosswords in pen.
United_States
Rep
Drives: OEM+ 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
Mine is pretty deep and barks pretty good throughout the rev range. I've had a couple E46 guys tell me it sounds "very BMW" (good apparently) from the rear so I'm happy with it. Oh yeah, as for drone, I can comfortably drive with my windows up without raising my voice beyond library level. How long will that last after 2nd cat delete and headers? Probably not long. lol

The muffler delete definitely isn't for everyone. I think it also has a lot to do with what tips and size piping you use. The 330 guys will definitely notice an entirely different sound because of the 3 stage manifold.

I will just say to the people that hate on it so much, I'm putting 5 more whp and 10 more ftlbs or tq over stock with just it and a K&N drop in. I'd be willing to bet the BMW PE maybe puts out the same kind of numbers but I very seriously doubt it'll put down more.
+1000 to everything I bolded. I hear all these naysayers on here about the MD, and I personally LOVE IT. I can't get enough of it, and am certainly not willing to drop coin on adding a muffler when I dig the sound so much.

Now, as far as the headers/no cats go...will probably NEED a muffler after that so I can drive 5 min. without getting pulled over.
      04-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

I live in Jersey, and around here, here, there is an (unfortunate) abundance of what is known as the "ricemobile" (personal definition: a car transforms into a ricemobile when the owner decides to slap a 8000 supercharger and cuts off the muffler onto a mid 80s corolla or civic [sadly I had to drive next to one today]). So maybe I'm biased, but if you cut off your muffler, especially if you have the 335, the turbo is going to drone, making it sound very ricey. Personally, I wouldn't do that to a piece of fine German engineering . If I were you, I would go for the BMW Performance Intake and exhaust if you want a part that reflects the ideals of BMW's M-line: docile when you want it, insane power when you need it. If you want something a little more edgy, you could shoot for something aftermarket--but avoid the aFe intake, it doesn't work very well (so I've heard).
Just my two cents .
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
BAMxi
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
^ yeah I hear ya. I drive a 328, but have had a few 335 loaners, and I always thought the stock exhaust sounded pretty nice as is. I can't imagine how it'd be with muffler delete.

And I just found out about a meet in KC on May 1, and guerilla twang offered to let me listen to his MD there, so that'll be the deciding factor for me, I think. Definitely keep the convo going if you've got more input though.
      04-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
LLinxuS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro

Garage List
2007 328i e90  [9.28]
I did a muffler delete and I get nothing but compliments. It also depends a lot on your tastes. I'm young, I like things loud and to sound good.

In my opinion try it. It's cheap. If you don't like it, put the stock back on or go the MMW route.

I would never spend any more than I spent on an exhaust set up for a 328. I spent about $120 out the door with tips and install.
Appreciate 0