E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Wagner Tuning FMIC Review (w/ Pics!)

05-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #67
rmw04c
Jewbacca
Rep
Drives: 2011 SGM 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUST8AV8 View Post
So I received my wagner intercooler today and immediately installed it. Beside having a bag of sand poured on my face when I took out my stock intercooler, it went pretty smooth. rmw04c Thanks for the tips.
No problem brother glad it went well!
      05-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #68
migue90
Second Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Any info on the possible gb? Bump?
      09-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #69
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Sorry to enter your thread amigos but WAGNER has made and IC for our DIESELS(data coming soon!!) so pass the word out or better yet check the thread in the DIESEL forum, glad we can join you guys, WAGNER ICs look so OEM and thats one of the reasons Im getting one
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #70
LAMPSguy
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Am i dumb?

Now I feel stupid, I had a hell of a time today trying to install the IC and ended up reinstalling the factory unit. I AM mechanically pretty capable, but it was off about 1/4". It needed to move forward that far but I just couldn't get it, at one time I had my head under it (car on life) and was literally trying to squat it into place...WAY too much force, something was in the way, but I couldn't find anything.

I have a US spec car, any ideas from those who installed it? Were there any "ohh, yeah, I forgot to say that this part took a lot of force, etc"
      06-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #71
rantheman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw 335i m sport

Very nice review I see they say on a m sport there extra work to be done I wonder what that is looks like a solid fmic looks like I might get one
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #72
JC135
Reticent
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMPSguy View Post
Now I feel stupid, I had a hell of a time today trying to install the IC and ended up reinstalling the factory unit. I AM mechanically pretty capable, but it was off about 1/4". It needed to move forward that far but I just couldn't get it, at one time I had my head under it (car on life) and was literally trying to squat it into place...WAY too much force, something was in the way, but I couldn't find anything.

I have a US spec car, any ideas from those who installed it? Were there any "ohh, yeah, I forgot to say that this part took a lot of force, etc"
Whoa, I may be ignorant but I believe this review is for the Wagner Intercooler for the gasoline engine, not the diesel. Although I don't know for sure if there is a difference. Sounds to me based on your experience that there probably is.
      05-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #73
BrentinAustin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

For my 2011 335i I've been consider the Cobb Stage 1+, which includes their FMIC. How would you guys compare the Cobb to the Wagner FMIC?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #74
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

Guy, this tread is 4yrs old.... Your knocking but no one is home.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #75
rmw04c
Jewbacca
Rep
Drives: 2011 SGM 335is

I mean I'm here...but I can't speak for another intercooler I didn't install or review so I think you'd have to judge that for yourself.
      12-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #76
tomchang75
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw04c View Post
I purchased this FMIC new from Wagner Tuning (USA) here: http://www.wagner-tuning.com/BMW-135...ngine_p_9.html.

This FMIC hasn't gotten very much attention, probably due to their horrendously cumbersome website, and the fact that most think you have to ship from Germany to get this. Not the case. I wanted to do an extensive write-up for those who are interested in an FMIC that requires ZERO modification of stock, utilizes the stock charge pipe and couplers (for those still under warranty like me), and is of good build quality and reputation. From what I can tell, it looks like they've taken their smaller one pictured out of production, and switched to a bar and plate design similar to their larger one, only with the stock couplers welded on.

PACKAGING 10/10

The packaging was the best I've seen for something like this yet. Much better than how my AA one was packed (no offense to Lutz. It was packed well also...its better vs. best honestly). It was padded with extruded foam, bubble wrap, inlet/outlets were capped, more foam, and then TRIPLE BOXED and marked with "caution glass." In German. Got me on that one haha. Nonetheless, there was NO WAY this thing was going to get damaged in shipment even if it did come from Germany (it came from CA).

BUILD/DESIGN 9.5/10

Upon opening the box, I was pleasantly surprised. From their website the pictures were very small and not detailed enough for me to tell, but I was willing to give them a shot. Glad I did. Not one single fin was bent or misplaced on the core, the welds are spot on, and the end tanks look great, as do the stock-designed couplers. The only thing they did was leave some of the masking tape on over part of the locking groove, which I removed. It uses stock mounting points, and has the tabs on the rear of it. Very well machined.

Inside the end tanks, finish is not polished (which can actually disrupt airflow), but is somewhat rough. In my opinion its about the perfect amount of roughness not to disrupt airflow.

I was surprised to see that it is actually of bar/plate construction, though some rumors have gone around that the smaller one that they offer (which I purchased) is actually of tube/fin design. It is not. While we're on that subject, inner fin count looks to be the same as outer, leading me to believe pressure drop is probably comparable to any of the other aftermarket FMICs out there.

Build sizes. I didn't post the pics but I have them if you want. The main portion of the core is 20"W x 6"H x 5"D, not including the stepped portion. This is an inch shallower than the AA, Helix, HPF, and others out there. Frontal area including the stepped portion brings this number to 8.5". Might lead to some heat soak since the core is not as dense as some others...we'll have to see. I'd venture to say that's probably negligible, too. What it doesn't have in depth, it makes up for in height. Because of the cast end tank and smooth characteristics of the design, it looks as though this FMIC will probably be able to utilize the stepped portion fairly well, as the Helix does (FYI I would have bought the Helix over this if they used the stock couplers...not because I'm lazy, but I didn't even want to pry off the original hose clamp and give the dealer an excuse to void my warranty).

INSTALL 8/10 (could have been a 9 if I'd used two people!)

The install was straightforward for the most part. This kit came with no installation instructions whatsoever, but there are enough videos out there to know how to take the bottom panel off, and if you've done one, you've done them all. And with the stock couplers, it really is plug and play. I highly recommend 2 people, though. The FMIC weighs 18.6lbs so its not incredibly easy to hold the driver's side up while you bolt in the passenger side. It was a pain in the dick to get the passenger side bolted in, which finally led me to get someone else involved. I had one of the shop attendants hold the driver's side while I leveraged the passenger side into place and screwed it in. All in all, the install took me under 2 hours from the time I pulled it in the shop to the time I was out of the bay. Granted I had a lift (which is highly recommended...) but it could be done on ramps. Honestly it might be easier on ramps since you could get your buddy laying down and just bench press the thing into place.

FIT/FINISH 9/10
As advertised, the Wagner FMIC uses the stock piping and couplers. You have to pry the metal clips off the old FMIC and put them on the new one. The only downside to this is while the stock FMIC couplers can hold this clip in the "open" position, the Wagner will only hold them in the locked position so you have to get the stock piping in place with one hand, and then fumblef*** the metal band into the groove on the FMIC to get it in place. This was frustrating, but only took 15 min to get them both on.

The FMIC fit snugly in place, and the hardest part was getting that passenger side on. I firmly believe that if I had used a second person from the start, I'd have had this install done in maybe 45 min.

On another note, the usable area of this FMIC is almost entirely in the front grille. It covers it from bottom to top, and sticks above the top of the lower grille by maybe 1/2", and same with the lower. I would say this fits better than the AA FMIC, honestly. No cutting was required whatsoever.

DRIVEABILITY/PERFORMANCE 9.5/10
I noticed only a small increase in turbo lag with this FMIC. However, it does seem to pull a LOT harder above 2500rpm. Between 2500-5000 it felt amazing. IAT seemed to stay pretty damn level throughout the WOT runs I did. I've done some logs that I'll post later...but I've got some work to do and the computer is still in the car. While I haven't used all of the other FMICs available, I would say that overall this one performs very well, fits extremely well, and on top of it all, is EXTREMELY stealthy. While I love the looks that you get for having an FMIC, this one will not get you that. It is so dark that you can hardly see it. Good for being stealth (which I like), but I'd say a stenciled image would almost make this more tasteful (which I considered doing, but wanted to see how it fit first before I tried that). I'll probably go back and stencil a BMW "M" on there later or something small along those lines.

And for those worried about a performance loss, I'd just like to say this (which I'll post in the correct forum later). As I was driving to Atlanta this weekend, I had some dude in a G8 GXP (415hp/415lbft stock) start goosing me. I'm pretty sure he had mods (exhaust at a minimum) because his car was pretty damn loud. So I gave it to him. And I DESTROYED HIM. Six times. We went from 80-160mph about 4 times in a row. No loss in performance from this FMIC. I wasn't logging at the time because I was just cruising on the hwy and he surprised me, but this thing pulls hard as hell.

For the questions that will arise, this is what I was running: JB4 Map 5, AFE DCI, Wagner FMIC, Stett CP, Synapse BOV, BMS OCC. That's it.

LOGS

These were near consecutive, with maybe a few seconds in between depending on traffic. I'm going to pull the CSVs into excel and make a better scale graph to show specific WOT runs to get a better idea of the actual values. Two of them were consecutive, hence the times across the bottom. It was roughly 85 + degrees during this test. Working with excel, minus one blip, the IAT decreased during the pull, starting at 98 and dropping to 95 at max boost (4500rpm on one pull). So overall, I would say that having it roughly 10-12 degrees above atmosphere with a decrease during pulls is pretty damn good performance.

Just installed this FMIC this past weekend. I can tell you with this FMIC, you MUST TUNE with stage 1 + FMIC on Cobb AP to get the real potential and release the extra power gain from it. I did the test run without retune and although I felt better throttle response, but I also felt more turbo lag and not as much gain as stage 1 +.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #77
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchang75 View Post
Just installed this FMIC this past weekend. I can tell you with this FMIC, you MUST TUNE with stage 1 + FMIC on Cobb AP to get the real potential and release the extra power gain from it. I did the test run without retune and although I felt better throttle response, but I also felt more turbo lag and not as much gain as stage 1 +.
Of course, the idea is to be able to up the boost without producing scorching IAT's normally found on stock FMIC. Although it would help a stock or lightly tuned car, it won't be as obvious.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #78
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchang75 View Post

Oh, so THAT'S why the "+FMIC" thing is part of the tune name.
Glad we got all that cleared that up. (yes, sarcasm).
The real question is who would choose NOT to use the boner-inducing "+FMIC" tune after installing an FMIC?
      12-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #79
tomchang75
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob View Post
Oh, so THAT'S why the "+FMIC" thing is part of the tune name.
Glad we got all that cleared that up. (yes, sarcasm).
The real question is who would choose NOT to use the boner-inducing "+FMIC" tune after installing an FMIC?
Maybe some ppl that are scared of increase boost and didn’t want to mess with remap ? Or some just do FMIC without Cobb?? Ppl choose to run how they want it and my post is to answer the question of the power gain between the two maps. Some say little gain with 1+, but mine shows more gain enough you will feel it.

Same question for those who mentioned running stage 1 + tunes without FMIC. Why????
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 08:03 AM   #80
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
OP, i guess you have to upgrade Charge pipe to reduce turbo lag??
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #81
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: e92 335iA

Garage List
1 - "EVO I" with stock sw felt ok but nothing to write here about, after MHD stage 1+ it pulls really hard and makes me wonder... since there are graphs stating that EVO I is not a much improvement over eom IC (yeah, I know that I should have done this research before, I have bought EVO I almost a year ago once I got the car)

2 - VRSF 7'' seems to be very popular nowadays, will I feel any huge gains over this one I have? Does it make sense to swap them (power/costs ratio?) My car is DD, no tracking, more long highway runs than twisties to be honest...

3 - or any other IC without oem style clamps will be an significant improvement?