E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > New Owner Saying Hi

01-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
bucrat
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

New Owner Saying Hi

Hey,

I took delivery of my car this evening and overall it was a good experience.

However, there are a few issues I'd like to get everyone's opinion on.

1) I was supposed to take delivery on Monday evening but it was rescheduled to today because the dealer didn't install the 3M chip guard. The dealer said they couldn't source the chip guard because their detailing shops were closed for the holidays. I totally understand this and they did give me a loaner for 2 days. But my issue is that they didn't tell me the chip guard wasn't installed until I arrived at the dealership to do the PDI. They had the entire day to inform me of this so I could make alternate arrangements and not spoil my plans for the day. Am I making an issue out of nothing?

2) When I checked the odometer, my new car already had 126km on it. The delivery agent said that it is not unusual for a new car to have this much km on is since it was a dealer trade (the car came from another dealer about 30km way). I still think it is way too much. Am I over reacting?

3) When I arrived home I noticed a small chip on the front passenger window. On my way home, I didn't hear any thing hit the window and I avoided driving around any trucks. I totally missed this in the PDI, is this something the dealer will fix this out of goodwill?

4) Is my car supposed to come with a navigation DVD disk? The navigation works but there are no disks.

I know this is a long post so thanks in advance for your input.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
fizzerd
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

Congrats!

BUT why am I so sure that you got it at T&C judging from missing the delivery date, the high km's and the window chip..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 6MT | Ret '08 E90 335i

If they don't fix the window chip, issue a letter to the dealership Sales Manager, Owner and CC BMW Canada. That is unacceptable and they should fix it out of good will.

There are no navigation disks. Manufacturers have stopped Navigation Disks for the past few years now...it's all hard drive based or flash memory..and when you need an upgrade...you guessed it, you'll have to go to the dealer and get ripped off. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucrat View Post
Hey,

I took delivery of my car this evening and overall it was a good experience.

However, there are a few issues I'd like to get everyone's opinion on.

1) I was supposed to take delivery on Monday evening but it was rescheduled to today because the dealer didn't install the 3M chip guard. The dealer said they couldn't source the chip guard because their detailing shops were closed for the holidays. I totally understand this and they did give me a loaner for 2 days. But my issue is that they didn't tell me the chip guard wasn't installed until I arrived at the dealership to do the PDI. They had the entire day to inform me of this so I could make alternate arrangements and not spoil my plans for the day. Am I making an issue out of nothing?

2) When I checked the odometer, my new car already had 126km on it. The delivery agent said that it is not unusual for a new car to have this much km on is since it was a dealer trade (the car came from another dealer about 30km way). I still think it is way too much. Am I over reacting?

3) When I arrived home I noticed a small chip on the front passenger window. On my way home, I didn't hear any thing hit the window and I avoided driving around any trucks. I totally missed this in the PDI, is this something the dealer will fix this out of goodwill?

4) Is my car supposed to come with a navigation DVD disk? The navigation works but there are no disks.

I know this is a long post so thanks in advance for your input.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
zkhi
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i Sedan

The Chip in the window should be fixed out of goodwill. When I took ownership of my new car, there was a nasty scratch on the bumper, I made the rep and the manager aware of this and they re finished the bumper at no cost. They gave me a loaner for 2 days while they completed the work (BMW of Newmarket).
The Mileage on the car seems odd, not sure if there is anything you can do about that at this point.
Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
m42stanle
N52B25
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI (323i)

Quote:
Congrats on your new car! For #2 no I don't think you're overreacting, 126 km seems a bit on the high side. However, it may be too late as you accepted the car. Check your purchase agreement, I believe unless this was a demo it should say the car will be delivered to you with no more than 9x km on it (I don't have mine in front of me but recall thinking it was a strange number under 100 km... like 92 or 93 km - this is even before the VIN is assigned and was also the same when I bought my Acura back in 2001... so it seems to be a general practice among dealers at least in the GTA)

My 3-series was also a dealer trade (from Waterloo - 120 km away) and delivered with 12 km on the odo to BMW Toronto. If the dealer location is that far away they should be bringing the car in on a flatbed, not driving.

Did you (either verbally or in writing) authorize them to drive the car that far?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
bucrat
Rep

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I bought the car from BMW Toronto and the car was trade from Maranello. When I signed the papers it said the car would have approximatly 90km. The dearship said the put 90km down as a precaution and assured me verbally that the car is new and will have less than 90km.

As for the chip, I'm still waiting to hear back from the sales manager.

Also, I notice that my moonroof key and wrench are missing from the tool box.

With all these issues, I just hope the dealership doesn't black list me as a complainer.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 6MT | Ret '08 E90 335i

Quote:

I bought the car from BMW Toronto and the car was trade from Maranello. When I signed the papers it said the car would have approximatly 90km. The dearship said the put 90km down as a precaution and assured me verbally that the car is new and will have less than 90km.

With all these issues, I just hope the dealership doesn't black list me as a complainer.
If it makes you feel better I got my car with 664 km on it. Yes I know its high..but I liked the car and it was in pretty much new shape. No problems with it accept for a few minor things that other people have also experienced. No HPFP issues yet and its almost been 2.5 years.

Also, you're not a complainer - believe me we've all seen a heck of a lot worse.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

126km does seem to be a bit on the high side. I would imagine they would transport the cars from one dealer to another with a transport truck.

As for the window chip, can you be 100% sure it it didn't happen during the drive home?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
CarbonTT
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

given that the car was a dealer trade and was most likely (looks like in this case) driven to your delivery dealership... the kms seem normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #10
fizzerd
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:

126km is very high. I got mine with only 6km and alot of people got their cars in the single digits. Think about it. Once the car is born its driven into a truck. Out of the truck its driven into a container which is shipped.

All I can think of with the 126km is maranello test drove it when they got it. Toronto drove it from maranello Im sure to save on the transport costs! Thats the only explanation for the kms and the chip. Toronto test drove it also as part of pdi.

You just spent $50k. Dont worry about fighting with them. Btw, you should be getting a BMW Canada survey soon. Use that as leverage. It rates the CA and your delivery.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
m42stanle
N52B25
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI (323i)

Quote:

Don't worry about being a complainer - both the sales floor and service counter live and die by their survey results now so they do have incentive to make sure you are satisfied with your purchase. (I'm guessing like me your sales rep made your deal "conditional" on you giving them perfect on all survey scores)

Not to mention the fact you just paid $50k+ for a new car, not $900 on a washing machine - you should be nothing less than 100% ecstatic!

BTW if you took delivery of the car from BMW Toronto make sure to check your tire pressures. Mine were down 3 psi in the front and 7 psi in the rear (had been set to 29 psi all around) when I took delivery. For $1295 in PDI (and given how sensitive RFT wear is to tire pressure) you would think they would take care of the little stuff but go figure.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #12
bucrat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
126km does seem to be a bit on the high side. I would imagine they would transport the cars from one dealer to another with a transport truck.

As for the window chip, can you be 100% sure it it didn't happen during the drive home?
I'm 100% sure it didn't happend during the drive home because we crawaled along the DVP during rush hour and headed home on some side streets.

I actually just spoke to the Sales Manager this morning and he said that since the chip is very small (size of a small pin head), the filler to repair the chip might not might not inject into the hole. Instead he said to bring in the car if the chip gets any bigger and they will take care of it.

As for the missing tools, he's going to talk a look around and see what he can get to complete my set. Also, he will talk to the GM next week about any goodwill credits for the missed delivery date and 126km.

I think I'll take everyone advise and hold out on the survey until these issues are resolved.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

For compensation, I would ask the dealer to either provide you with either 2 unscheduled oil changes at no extra charge, free tint or dealership credits of some sort.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
homieG
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F

wow 126kms at delivery?!!!!!!! i work for Mazda and we never have a new car with over 15kms on it! the most i have seen is 15!

they probably didn't have the car you wanted in the colour and pkg wanted, so they probably got it from another dealer. They probably drove it there. I am VERY surprised that they would drive a dealer trade! At my dealership we send out a trailer to come pick the car up. Can't believe BMW has such shitty service to be honest.

a chip on the window!!?? ON A BRAND NEW CAR!!???? This car has definitely been driven. My guess is 98% it was a dealer trade or they used it as a DEMO or it was sed by someone who works at the dealership! 126kms would be considered a used car.

Sorry to break this to you but the 3M guard excuse was probably because they were still getting the car from another dealer!

I would ask them for a serious compensation!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
andrewg
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

the kms seem normal
Appreciate 0