E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Need help in getting newest iDrive software (25.02.02) - BMW my not upgrade it!

06-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
merle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Need help in getting newest iDrive software (25.02.02) - BMW my not upgrade it!

I just dropped off my 335 at the dealer to upgrade the iDrive but my service guy may not upgrade it! I told him that the "iDrive gives me the 'transferring messages' indefinitely and that it's very slow at times" but he says that unless there is a fault in the system or unless they're able to reproduce it, it won't be upgrade! What crap! What do I need to say EXACTLY for them to do the upgrade?? I know this has been discussed here before, but he is going to call me this afternoon with a nay or yeah, so if someone can help me out and tell me exactly what to say, that would be great!
      06-20-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by merle View Post
I just dropped off my 335 at the dealer to upgrade the iDrive but my service guy may not upgrade it! I told him that the "iDrive gives me the 'transferring messages' indefinitely and that it's very slow at times" but he says that unless there is a fault in the system or unless they're able to reproduce it, it won't be upgrade! What crap! What do I need to say EXACTLY for them to do the upgrade?? I know this has been discussed here before, but he is going to call me this afternoon with a nay or yeah, so if someone can help me out and tell me exactly what to say, that would be great!
Couple of options:
1) go to a dealer that would do it without much fuss.
Mine was done at Tischer BMW in silver spring (route 29). They just did it no much questions asked.

2) give your SA a SIB as reference. Search here for a sib and give it to the SA. My service ticket said: software upgraded per SIB 36 06 06
There are other SIBs for this same issue.

Good luck.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
antidentite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: See signature

I just had my dealer update my iDrive software yesterday, even though when I talked to them on the phone they said that they wouldnt do it unless there was a specific bulletin on the vehicle (which there isnt).

However, they should update it if you tell them you're not seeing the arrow display in your small nav window. Here's the SIB you can reference:

SI B 61 03 05
General Electrical Systems March 2007
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B61 03 05 dated December 2006.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Software Errors Corrected with Progman

MODEL
E90, E91, E92 E93 (3 Series)

Vehicles produced up to February 28, 2007

SITUATION
Customer may complain of the following:

The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 25.00.00 (Target data Status E89x-07-03-515).

If there is an incoming telephone call while SVS (Voice Input System) is active

CCC: Navigation system pop-up arrow display missing. Refer to SI B84 61 06.

PROCEDURE
For all vehicles, on a customer complaint basis only, refer to the following procedure and warranty information.

Update the complete vehicle per SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Individualization, Programming) Procedure B, using Progman 25.00.00 ( Target Data Status E89x-07-03-515) or higher.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code
Refer to KSD
Current: '17 Porsche Macan GTS
Current: '04 V8 4Runner
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yeah, if they won't upgrade something even though BMW has a service bulletin about it, then I would SERIOUSLY consider finding another dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
merle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

What a bad experience!!

Wow, well I just got off the phone after a FIGHT with my SA! Man, I can't believe he was so difficult, I mean, what ever happened to "the customer is always right.. especially one that just parted from $45k a few months ago"!!! here's a brief description of the conversation:

bmw: we were unable to duplicate the issue that you reported
me (politely): it does happen and when it does it's very frustrating not to have your navigation work properly
bmw: sorry to hear about that but we cannot do anything
me: it's very frustrating to be caught up somewhere without having that nice arrow in the small nav window and also it's frustrating when you always see it sitting on 'transferring messages' screen. can you please upgrade the software?
bmw: sorry to hear about that, nothing we can do
[ a couple more exchanges back and forth]
me: why the hell are you being so difficult?? i've had bmws before and have never had such a problem when getting serviced! i am telling you there is a problem!
bmw: BMW will not allow us to upgrade it if we can't replicate the problem (blah, blah)
me: LOOK, there is a service bulletin out there for this, do you want me to read it to you!!
bmw (in a lecturing tone): sir, i cannot do anything. i know about the service bulletin but bmw has said that not all cars are affected
me: EXCUSE ME, let me read this to you.. Customer may complain of the following: Navigation system pop-up arrow display missing. PROCEDURE
For all vehicles, on a customer complaint basis only, refer to the following procedure and warranty information.
SO I AM TELLING YOU THAT I HAVE A MISSING NAVIGATION POP-UP ARROW.

someone speaks in the background and the guy says under his breath.. "now i'm being told what my job is"..

can you believe this??? what a jerk! anyway, the phone goes on hold and after a few minutes he comes back a bit calmer and says that they are going to follow some special bmw service policy (crap) and try to get it pushed through. but that would mean they need to keep the car until tomorrow and then the service director and his "lead technican" will need to drive the car and test it. he also asked whether this happened ALL the time and i flat out said "YES!"

sorry for this being so long, but i had to vent. i'm sure i'll have to vent tomorrow because it's a certainty that they're going to want to charge me for keeping my rental car for an extra day! i don't think i should have to pay!
      06-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Make sure they don't do anything harmful to your car out of spite like key it, "mistakenly" scratch it while cleaning, or BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF IT on their "test drive"

After the conversation and experience you described I believe that you should bring your car elsewhere to get serviced!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
Hankdoll
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2/M3/4/5

I hope to god there is another dealer you can take your car into for service. Make sure to give all 1's when the call and rate your experience.
      06-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
IMO - in the future, remain more calm and logical and you will be more persuasive. Frankly, now it is a lost cause with this SA and this dealership, but I think if you approached it a little differently with the guy, you would have gotten the software update you want.

Go to another dealership, mention the missing pop-up arrow, and explain that you looked it up online and found the service bulletin. If they say no, calmly express how you are puzzled that they would not update the software to fix the issue under warranty, since you clearly have the problem, they can reproduce it, and the service bulletin seems to indicate they can and will fix it. Tell the SA that you understand that if they can't, they can't, but it just doesn't seem right. Is the service bulletin incorrect? Be nice, and ask to speak to a manager to confirm. They'll do it.

Be nice, be civil, don't take things personally and don't get emotional. I don't think you will have an argument at another dealer because there clearly is a SIB on this and it clearly says the dealer will update the software under warranty.
      06-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
merle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Actually I was very calm in the beginning. In fact, when I first dropped it off he told me that they may not be able to upgrade the software unless they can duplicate the problem. I said "whatever you can do is fine".. and that's it. And when he called back later in the afternoon, I was very nice to him and expressed that it was frustrating running into intermittent problems like that. Seemingly, he didn't want to hear it... what else was I supposed to do? Tomorrow, if they're still refusing to upgrade it, I will just deal with the current version installed in my car...
      06-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #10
bud001
That Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330i (E90)  [0.00]
Call BMW directly. Speak to a customer service rep. Tell them which dealership and which SA is giving you lip. If they wont do it call the NJ office directly and remind them BMW has a loyal and close owner base and one single problem with a SA can become a bad service experience to an antire community.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:25 PM   #11
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Which dealer was it?
My advice, go to Tischer.
No hassle and they will do a good job. (my experience with them)

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #12
merle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

VOB. I had an 01 330i that I got serviced through them for 3 years and they were great. I have a new SA for this car.... not so happy with him right now. If I go back, I'm going to request my original SA. Never had a problem with him.
      06-20-2007, 10:35 PM   #13
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
VOB. I had an 01 330i that I got serviced through them for 3 years and they were great. I have a new SA for this car.... not so happy with him right now. If I go back, I'm going to request my original SA. Never had a problem with him.
gosh VOB again.
I never dealt with them but I just keep hearing bad stuff about them.
Some like it there, some hate it.

Anyway, if they don't do it, go to Tischer.
call them and ask for kevin.
When I took mine, I was expecting some resistance.
I came with SIB in hand if I needed to show them evidence.
I just mentioned Slow idrive and arrow display and that was it.
no more questions and I got the software upgraded.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
baltik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: porsche 944 turbo

Search through the archives - there is an OFFICIAL SIB pdf on here has a bmw logo and everything. Instead of calling persuading or complaining put it on your SA's desk say you are experiencing this exact issue - there is nothing in the world they can say back to you - worst case take them on a drive and show them that the arrows dont pop up. mine was done no questions asked
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #15
jreaton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Saddle Brown, Nav,

My experience at Tischer was simple. Made an appointment, told them the arrow display was a problem, software was updated, no hassle.
      06-22-2007, 09:32 PM   #16
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreaton View Post
My experience at Tischer was simple. Made an appointment, told them the arrow display was a problem, software was updated, no hassle.
for Tischer.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 08:32 AM   #17
merle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Epilogue - Well, they finally did upgrade the software. The guy called the next morning and said something that a "Pullman" case was approved or something like that? Never heard of that.. but anyway, they did it and the new version is much faster than the previous.

But what a nightmare that whole experience was.. not only the software, but I was such an idiot that I left my laptop in the rental car when I returned it! When I called back a few hours later, they (Enterprise) had already rented the car (a shining new Hyundai - VOB has an Enterprise for their courtesy cars, but it's only for 1 day) along with my laptop! Argh... after 24 more stressful hours, they called back and told me that the guy returned the computer.. thank god for honest people. However I looked at my Amex statement this morning and there was a charge for $42 for damage insurance that I mistakenly signed for! Again, I'm such an idiot but I KNOW I told the lady that I didn't want any other insurance. I've rented a 1000 rental cars and always waive the insurance so I don't know how I signed or initialed for it. There's 6 places to initial and when you're late for work, you just do it where they tell you. I was so unhappy... Enterprise said they would credit one day back... oh well, something is better than nothing! End of the saga...
      06-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #18
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Quote:

What are "transfering messages"?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #19
Jimbert
Jim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335xi, M Coupe

Garage List
Wink

Merle, your sig says you drive an Infiniti. Maybe that's why BMW didn't want to work on it.
      06-24-2007, 03:32 AM   #20
sapperelite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI, 03 Wrangler Sport

I had a bad experience with a dealership in the DC area a few weeks ago also. My wife and I are younger looking, have three kids (1 girl and twin boys) and she drives a minivan. We went to the dealership off Lee Highway and were treated like absolute dirt. They were having some type of BBQ for customers that day and they must have thought that we were coming in for a free meal. It is insulting to have service personnel track your every move waiting for you to steal something but never come over to see if you need help. I for one will NEVER go back to that dealership. The next week, I went to the dealership off US 1 in Arlington/Crystal City and was treated quite well. How far north out of DC is this Tisch dealership? I have a house in Springfield right off 95. I leave Europe with my car in about 9 months and want a plan on where to set-up my services. Thanks,

AJ
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 08:07 AM   #21
jreaton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Saddle Brown, Nav,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapperelite View Post
I How far north out of DC is this Tisch dealership? I have a house in Springfield right off 95. I leave Europe with my car in about 9 months and want a plan on where to set-up my services. Thanks,

AJ
Tischr is in Silver Spring MD. It's off RT.29 about 8-10 miles from the Beltway. Or about 4 miles from the rt 198 exit on 95 North.
      08-29-2007, 10:46 PM   #22
Fartpimpson
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Appreciate 0