E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > A bit of a moan...

05-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

A bit of a moan...

So business isn't what is was and after much pruning here and there it was decided that we needed to look at partners salaries. Such is the downside to running your own business I'm now £10k per year worse off. We haven't increased our salaries for a number of years but it was the only area we hadn't actively cut.

I'm sure things will improve but I'm in a pretty shitty mood today so I just thought I'd have a moan.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

i know this feeling.......sucks dont it.
but some sensible moderation now should see you right in the long term.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

10k off 100k is still good going, 10k off 50k and I would be pissed off too.

As per the previous poster, it may pave the way for the future, with luck and hard work.

Regards
Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

You should consult your union representative immediately and get him/her to moan to the national press at every available opportunity about how "unfair" this is. If that doesn't see your annual increments reinstated then i suggest you threaten strike action, say you will bring the country to it's knees to prove your point and ensure you get yours, fuck everyone else. I say lets bring down the government and burn the capitalisto pigs and their fat cat bed fellows UP THE PEOPLE, REVOLUTIOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNN!!!!!!

Oh wait, did you say private sector?

Good on you. I'm sure the cut hurts like a bitch but the company going under would be worse. The wise who take necessary measures now will reap the rewards when they are one of the few survivors left in their sector when we get to the other side. Good luck...... comrade
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

If your staff have also taken cuts its only fair and wise to do this.

As others have said how many public sectors moaners would put up with this. Where are they all now, busy planning for their next strike because someone has asked them to pay a bit more into their gold mine pension.

This type of move is the reality of life.
What line of business are you in?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo99 View Post
i know this feeling.......sucks dont it.
but some sensible moderation now should see you right in the long term.
It will. We're somewhat tied to the construction trade so it's a case of battening down the hatches and watching every penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
10k off 100k is still good going, 10k off 50k and I would be pissed off too.
Oh, keep going with the estimates. I dream about the heady days of pulling 50k from this business! How does 10k off 30k sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
Good on you. I'm sure the cut hurts like a bitch but the company going under would be worse. The wise who take necessary measures now will reap the rewards when they are one of the few survivors left in their sector when we get to the other side. Good luck...... comrade
Cheers comrade. Hopefully we can ride this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
If your staff have also taken cuts its only fair and wise to do this.

This type of move is the reality of life.
What line of business are you in?
It is only fair and it is the right thing to do. I like to think we've looked after our staff though I'm sure some of them may say otherwise. But then they always will. Wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire springs to mind. Hey ho... such is the joy of being an employer.

We're in commercial and industrial cleaning ie daily office cleaning being the bulk of the business and one off stuff for the building sector where we actually make a bit of money. Or not at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Good on you. Too many owners rape the company and the Vat man before pre-packing and doing it all again. Keep an eye in the cash flow though. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport 320D,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
We're in commercial and industrial cleaning ie daily office cleaning being the bulk of the business and one off stuff for the building sector where we actually make a bit of money. Or not at the moment.
wherabouts are you based?
      05-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman View Post
wherabouts are you based?
This was going to be my question; we have a daily clean on our unit/offices.
Our business in itself isn't going to set the world alight but happy to give you the contract and pass your details to others if you service the hangar lane area. Will always rather help an E90 post member rather than a random...

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Any other jobs going Si mate, I'd love to work closer to home and not work weekends anymore!!! LOL
      05-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Ps, we are construction also, and have traded through -£5m on previous years t/over. Would have been very easy to roll over on creditors, shut the doors and re-open the next day as a new firm, but like you we have principles, so have battened down the hatches, trimmed the fat and worked our asses off - no cash treats or exotic holidays for a while, but PAYE up to date, HMRC up to date and all suppliers paid.

Not much of a consolation I know, but take solace in the fact it takes a better person to trade through tough times than it does fold on people and jeopardise their well being by leaving them in the hole.

I tip my hat to any SME trading in these times.

Last edited by sheps; 05-31-2012 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Any other jobs going Si mate, I'd love to work closer to home and not work weekends anymore!!! LOL
I'd say yes, but not sure the company could stand the fuel/tyre/car payments with another car nut on the books!

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #13
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

Quote:
It will. We're somewhat tied to the construction trade so it's a case of battening down the hatches and watching every penny.
i was one of 4 who set up a recrutiment agency supplying the construction and design industry 6 years ago, for 2 years we were unstoppable and then almost over night the whole place just fell down around us.
from 4 we had grew to 16, and one by one they all went inside 6months.
I went from invoicing £50k a month, to 3/4k month at the flick of a switch.

Selfishly, I didnt see how I could sustain my levels of income, and so I took the decision to walk away - that was July 2009. It wasnt a purely financial decision, my whole life changed as my partner left me at the same time.
But the remaining 3 took the long term view, I think that they had little choice due to investments etc, and reduced costs and just kept going. I met up with them a couple of weeks back and they defo look much older than they did 3 odd years ago, but they are back on the up again, but it was their belief in what they were doing that has seen them through, maintaining quality and are now employing once more.

like sheps says, if you can get through times like this and still be trading, then surely then you will become more astute in the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #14
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
So business isn't what is was and after much pruning here and there it was decided that we needed to look at partners salaries. Such is the downside to running your own business I'm now £10k per year worse off. We haven't increased our salaries for a number of years but it was the only area we hadn't actively cut.

I'm sure things will improve but I'm in a pretty shitty mood today so I just thought I'd have a moan.
Tough times Rich,and not many sectors have it as tough as construction.
Even when it's good,the construction industry is far from the easiest place to trade.

Fair play to you,and credit where it's due,hopefully you'll look back at this time of your life with a wry smile and think:

'Been there,sang the song,made the vid,but I can now wash the Ferrari'.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #15
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Tough man!....anyways, I think that anyone earning more than £150k a year is overpaid!!....No idea how these CEOs in banking can earn millions in bonuses!!!???...come on, is their job that hard?!...its not like they are climbing up/ down some volcanoes/ mines or are doing some highly complexe research on curing cancer....

they just sit in front a computer and give out some corporate talk bullsh1t...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #16
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I really find it hard to understand the salaries of footballers aswell.....yes, marketing, season tickets, stadiums, sponsors etc, and lots of football fans etc....but come on man! at the end of the day, they just kickin a ball....
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #17
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

He's off on one. Go on, get it all out...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #18
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
I really find it hard to understand the salaries of footballers aswell.....yes, marketing, season tickets, stadiums, sponsors etc, and lots of football fans etc....but come on man! at the end of the day, they just kickin a ball....
Amen. Hence why I hate anything but grass-roots, jumpers for goalposts football.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #19
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M-Sport

Stick with it OP and hopefully you guys will turn it around. I've been there myself in the past, having weeks with no wages whilst everyone else gets paid but look long term, cut and save where you can whilst still remaining positive....your attitude and outlook is what will make you pull through for the long term. We're more than on the up now after a huge restructuring.
      06-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmondo View Post
Stick with it OP and hopefully you guys will turn it around. I've been there myself in the past, having weeks with no wages whilst everyone else gets paid but look long term, cut and save where you can whilst still remaining positive....your attitude and outlook is what will make you pull through for the long term. We're more than on the up now after a huge restructuring.

I've been self employed for just under 5 years now and the last 4-5 months have been the worst I've experienced, in terms of (in)consistency. I've had to cut my cloth accordingly but realised that the best way to do this would be to sell one of them and concentrate more on the 2 better of the 3; and hope that my time and extra input on a more regular basis can re-coup what I will lose in revenue from that one sandwich bar.

All of my family is self employed. 90% of the people I know are self employed - and there isn't one of them that hasn't moaned about how quiet it's been. But I don't take solace from that. I won't accept it and intend on keep banging at the door - in the hope that my hard work, neglecting my family (unfortunately) and constant work will eventually pay off.

It is tough out there and I can't see it getting any better - anytime soon; but what I will say is, the people still standing at the end of the next 12-18 months will be in a very strong position to move forward thereafter.

Good luck Rich - from a fellow self employed bloke to another - I wish you all the best. It takes allot of balls to admit what you just have on here - which shows that you're very much aware of the situation and intend to do something about it.

In the meantime....advertise, advertise, advertise. There is no better way to keep your head above water.

Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #21
Brian mc21
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E91 320d M Sport

[QUOTE=mowflow;12067913]You should consult your union representative immediately and get him/her to moan to the national press at every available opportunity about how "unfair" this is. If that doesn't see your annual increments reinstated then i suggest you threaten strike action, say you will bring the country to it's knees to prove your point and ensure you get yours, fuck everyone else. I say lets bring down the government and burn the capitalisto pigs and their fat cat bed fellows UP THE PEOPLE,

Does that apply to the like of me on £19k a year working for the local council. As for pensions I'm paying next to fuck all into mine if the forecast things I get from the pru at the minute are anything to go by. Retiring in 2034 it's worth 300 odd quid a year at the minute apparently. Yes I get paid holidays and sick pay which are very good and am grateful I have a job but not all public sector workers are on a fortune. Moan over.
RVF400

Last edited by Brian mc21; 06-02-2012 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #22
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow
You should consult your union representative immediately and get him/her to moan to the national press at every available opportunity about how "unfair" this is. If that doesn't see your annual increments reinstated then i suggest you threaten strike action, say you will bring the country to it's knees to prove your point and ensure you get yours, fuck everyone else. I say lets bring down the government and burn the capitalisto pigs and their fat cat bed fellows UP THE PEOPLE, REVOLUTIOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNN!!!!!!

Oh wait, did you say private sector?

Wow. Please forgive me for raping the tax payer for the last 20 years teaching kids how to get a job and earn. Must have fucked up the poor private sector so much.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0