E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Interior cleaning

10-31-2007, 03:52 AM   #1
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Metallic Grey M Sport

Interior cleaning

What do you guys use for cleaning your interior? i use auto glym's interior cleaner but the results are not brilliant as i expected so any tips would be great?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 04:06 AM   #2
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

I was going to ask something similar, and I was also wondering about recommendations for leather maintenance / cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 04:10 AM   #3
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Metallic Grey M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
I was going to ask something similar, and I was also wondering about recommendations for leather maintenance / cleaning.
Certain parts of my car are leather so i use auto glyms leather cream, not sure if this is the way others would go
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 04:12 AM   #4
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 320d MSport

Just be wary when doing the windows! i have had a rattle and the $tealer advised me that it is product leaking through the gap and sitting on top of the teflon coat that is causing the friction!

i do not know whether this is realistic or an excuse but I can see masking tape coming out...
      10-31-2007, 05:32 AM   #5
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mushroom View Post
Just be wary when doing the windows! i have had a rattle and the $tealer advised me that it is product leaking through the gap and sitting on top of the teflon coat that is causing the friction!

i do not know whether this is realistic or an excuse but I can see masking tape coming out...
Went through a long and tortuous proces with my 1 series with the window rattle syndrome. Sounds like the 3 is also affected due to the construction of the doors.

In summary, don't use silicon-based products anywhere near your window rubbers, especially where the rubber on top of the door meets the bodywork (ie in the aperture that the door fits into). This is only an issue on saloon and tourings and not on the frameless doors AFAIK. The 1 series is plagued (as my 120d was) with a window 'rattle'. Understand the E60 5 Series suffers too. BMW do not have a permanent fix - on some they fit teflon tape around the inside of the door aperture and on others they replace the window rubbers, but the problems (with the 1 series anyway) usually return. The only 'solution' I found (see http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7114, and http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4321) was cleaning the seals and waxing the inner edge of the door aperture on the body, where the window outer frame touches.

Seems your dealer was right in essence. Beware though, once you go down the route of silicon products, there is practically no return. Most people have had lasting success with non-silicon products on the rubbers, or no products at all, just a cloth and clean water. My dealer thought that the problem was made worse by washing the car with silicon-containing car shampoo, which was what finally made me take the plunge with zymol and it worked. Good luck.

Oh and (as you may have already guessed, I use zymol treat for leather and vinyl for plastics and seal for door rubbers etc. Great stuff and won't dry components out over time. I should get paid for the plugging I do for them. Seriously though, they are that good, though I've only ever used Auto Glym before as a comparison.

Edit: I should add that I only actually use a damp chamois for cleaning the dash and centre console etc rather than any 'products' as they can add too much shine.

Last edited by Bumps; 10-31-2007 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: premature senility
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 06:10 AM   #6
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I just use a damp Chamios leather, as I don't like the wet look some cleaners give. I have a tube of Armoral matt finish dash wipe's, but I don't use them on the dash, only the lower doors, when they get kicked.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
I have a tube of Armoral matt finish dash wipe's, but I don't use them on the dash, only the lower doors, when they get kicked.
Very good tip Thanks - I've had problems removing those marks for ever.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 06:15 AM   #8
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Very good tip Thanks - I've had problems removing those marks for ever.

Got them from Halfrauds Mate
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 07:39 AM   #9
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

Liquid leather for my jade grey interior. Seems to work well - only time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 08:01 AM   #10
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

I'm currently using zymol leather cleaner (which is great at removing the dark marks my jeans leave on the red leather) and I use Zymol Treat to keep everything soft, supple and conditioned.

I also use a Zymol window cleaner (Glas?) which works really well too.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 09:10 AM   #11
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
I use a damp soft cloth, microfibre duster and Meguiars Gold Class leather cleaner. This cleaner works very well, but I'm not too taken with the smell, so I may try something else! All my other Meguiars products smell rather pleasant.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 09:17 AM   #12
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
I just use a damp Chamios leather, as I don't like the wet look some cleaners give. I have a tube of Armoral matt finish dash wipe's, but I don't use them on the dash, only the lower doors, when they get kicked.
That is a good tip. No matter how careful I be getting in and out of the car, my big size 11's always seem to leave a scorch mark on the lower trim somewhere
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 09:19 AM   #13
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
I use a damp soft cloth, microfibre duster and Meguiars Gold Class leather cleaner. This cleaner works very well, but I'm not too taken with the smell, so I may try something else! All my other Meguiars products smell rather pleasant.
Hate to say it but the zymol stuff smells great too! Promise I'll shut up about it now...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #14
Paddles
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Bluewater

Garage List
I have been usimg the Zymol leather cleaner for a while now and it does restore that original matt look of the leather seats, unfortunately it does seem odourless and I wouldn't mind a leathery aroma. What's Zymol treat like for smell and finish ?. On the plastics I find armourall good on scuff marks, and a combination of Mr Sheen and Simoniz Matt dash on the other plastics. I have always used Mr Muscle window cleaner on the glass, not that easy to use so I'd be open to suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 12:50 PM   #15
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
I have zymol leather cleaner and it is far from odourless (if you are talking about "Treat" or whatever they call it). I haven't used it (other than sniffing it !) yet as I want to keep new car smell.

I have always found BMW interior cleaner to be really good - smells good and you can dilute it. Others use Meguiars APC (all purpose cleaner) or Zymol Vinyl - but that smells dodge and looks quite shiny when finished.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 01:14 PM   #16
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
No Armorall product will ever, ever, touch my car.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 01:15 PM   #17
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by striaght.six View Post
I have been usimg the Zymol leather cleaner for a while now and it does restore that original matt look of the leather seats, unfortunately it does seem odourless and I wouldn't mind a leathery aroma. What's Zymol treat like for smell and finish ?. On the plastics I find armourall good on scuff marks, and a combination of Mr Sheen and Simoniz Matt dash on the other plastics. I have always used Mr Muscle window cleaner on the glass, not that easy to use so I'd be open to suggestions.
I've found the zymol treat to smell fruity like all their stuff, don't know how you'd get a leathery aroma (well I do but maybe this is not the place to discuss).

Ref the windows, I use Auto Glym fast glass which is OK but is a little prone to streaking. Might go back to a chamois, hot water and kitchen roll. Haven't tried zymol HD cleanse but some say it's very good (though that's not its intended purpose).
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 01:18 PM   #18
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
I've got some leather cleaner that smells leathery but I'm just hoping by doing such small mileage and only taking the car out a few times a week it will retain its leather smell til I change it (last one did pretty much!).
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 04:10 PM   #19
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
I use this stuff from www.liquidleather.com and it also leaves a great leather smell in the car too.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #20
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mushroom View Post

I've got the squeaks on my Coupe as well. At the top of the drivers window, bloody annoying. My dads got it on his Coupe as well but on the passanger side. The rubbers are strange on this car and kind of brittle not soft like usual.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 06:10 PM   #21
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I've got the squeaks on my Coupe as well. At the top of the drivers window, bloody annoying. My dads got it on his Coupe as well but on the passanger side. The rubbers are strange on this car and kind of brittle not soft like usual.

Whatever you do, DON'T use any silicon-based product anywhere near the rubber seals. It causes them to degrade rapidly and the squeaking starts. It's a massive problem on the 1er and the 3er saloons/tourings. Not so bad on the Coupe because the windows are frameless, but still it makes a difference. Some dealers have resorted to adding a teflon tape to the rubber to prevent the squeaking, but even that doesn't help.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #22
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d Coupe

Inside Detailing Products:

- Windows Inside - Stoner Invisible Glass
- Windows Outside – Comma Pro Vision Glass Scrub
- Leather - Zaino Z-9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner and Z-10 Leather in a Bottle
- Dash Vinyl - Einszett Cockpit Premium
- Instrument/Sat Nav clear plastic screens - Plexus Plastic Cleaner

Hey Gibbo

This is a known niggle with the E92. Get some (Einszett, Rubber Protection Gummi Pflege) and apply it to the rubber. Also make sure to polish and wax the paint surface that the rubber presses against. This will keep it quiet for quite a while, when it comes back, just simply reapply. 2 minute job.

LRS

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19” 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
Appreciate 0