E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Best place for stoneguard in the Seattle area?

03-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #23
MWTPDE
Rep
Drives: e92 335i-Monaco/Saddle/Alum

Has anyone used XPEL clear film on their car?

I am shopping for a clear bra and I have heard bad things about 3M turning yellow over time (due to the acrylic content in their product and from people waxing it). I have heard the same thing about Venture Shield, except that it turns gray as dirt and other contaminants are absorbed into the material.

In speaking with a rep from Artworx in Fife, XPEL is supposedly the way to go, their product is tougher than 3M for puncture resistance and is the equal in terms of quality, material thickness, and perhaps a bit more resistant to yellowing.

I am looking for some advice/experience on product before I make the plunge.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #24
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 VW GTI

How much did you spend for the install?

I just spoke to the guy at Artworx and he said $650...
      06-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #25
mkaaes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C4S

My buddy Ben does it at Park Place LTD in Belleuve, check it out
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #26
MWTPDE
Rep

I wouldn't recommend Artworx. Had some issues with bubbles in the film caused by debris (lint from installer sweatshirt) caught underneath, plus abrasion marks on the film caused by poor installation technique. Shop cleanliness is important when installing film, Artworx is definitely not the place to go if you want a 100% perfect install. Look for a clean shop, clean floor, a clean layout table for the film (with no sawdust on it!), and ask to see some other examples of their work. I will probably have the hood piece redone by another shop. I have a coworker getting Ventureshield installed on his 997 Carrera S tomorrow morning at Metropolitan Detail. Both of us checked out this shop and examples of their work and left impressed. I think the Ventureshield product is better than the XPEL. We looked at a car at their shop with the Ventureshield installed and couldn't see the film..granted it was a full hood install, but I am extremely picky! The Ventureshield has noticeably less orange peel than 3m or XPEL film. If I had to do it again, I would go Ventureshield. Metropolitan is more $$$ but sometimes you get what you pay for!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #27
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Maybe we can get a group buy together or something?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 11:05 PM   #28
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep

i'm up for it if it's done soon!
my car leaves WA for good in 10 days...

did you sell your wheels James?
      06-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #29
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDreamofBimmers View Post
i'm up for it if it's done soon!
my car leaves WA for good in 10 days...

did you sell your wheels James?
No. Im having a problem ordering my new wheels, so its on hold for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 11:12 PM   #30
IDreamofBimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep

ok... sounds like i'll be gone before you are ready... gl w/ them
      06-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #31
MWTPDE
Rep

ok I reviewed Metropolitan Detail's work this evening on my coworker's 997. They did a fantastic job! I am really impressed with their work, especially after comparing it with the work done on my car. They got all the pieces to fit with even gaps (with lots of compound curves on the Porsche) and the alignment was perfect. No debris trapped under the film, no stretch marks, and they wrapped the hood edges so the film edge isn't visible around the perimeter. They also removed the Porsche crest and installed the film underneath. Truly a professional job and they take pride in their work. I didn't ask what the price was for a 335i, but I would guess it is competitive. If I re-do the hood, these guys are doing the work no doubt about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 01:19 AM   #32
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTPDE View Post
ok I reviewed Metropolitan Detail's work this evening on my coworker's 997. They did a fantastic job! I am really impressed with their work, especially after comparing it with the work done on my car. They got all the pieces to fit with even gaps (with lots of compound curves on the Porsche) and the alignment was perfect. No debris trapped under the film, no stretch marks, and they wrapped the hood edges so the film edge isn't visible around the perimeter. They also removed the Porsche crest and installed the film underneath. Truly a professional job and they take pride in their work. I didn't ask what the price was for a 335i, but I would guess it is competitive. If I re-do the hood, these guys are doing the work no doubt about it.
that sounds like a good place, but unfortunately I wont be re-painting my hood/bumper anytime soon.. maybe if I get the vorsiner vented cf hood
Appreciate 0