E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Folding Mirror Problem

06-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
arc1880
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (e92)

Folding Mirror Problem

I'm in the process of retrofitting folding mirrors onto my E92. I purchased the mirrors off of ebay. Currently when the mirror is not folded it doesn't seem to line up correctly. Is there anyway to fix this? Here are some pictures:

Not lined up (Mine):

Lined up (Not Mine):

Last edited by arc1880; 06-18-2012 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: e93 330d

It seems to be that the spring which presses the mirror with the base is weakening, so the mirror stops opening beyond its limit.

Next problem will be that the mirror is going to open 180º, (see the video
)

I know that a friend tried to fix it using a steel washer inserted between the spring and the base (in order to tighten the srping) he cutted one edge of the washer like a 'C' and he could insert it without dismounting the mirror.
I don't know if it worked at the end.

Good luck!

Regards.

PS: Maybe, your problem is not the same than my friend.

Last edited by Jose_JN; 06-18-2012 at 05:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
arc1880
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The mirror does not wiggle when it is not folded. I just searched on google and didn't realize this was a common problem with the folding mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
What did you end up doing? I'm having the same problem
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
arc1880
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I ended up telling the ebay seller about the problem and he sent me a replacement mirror. According to the search I did on google, people have tried pressing the fold button and folding the mirrors. Then unfold the mirror that has the problem and hold it in place so it lines up. Keep holding the mirror then pressing the fold button. I have not tried this personally. If you search here or the general forum you might be able to find other solutions.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
ricerider187
Ricebanger
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Coupe

this is BS i am having the same problem on my 07 335i

i just washed the car so I think trapped water is fking with some sht n now my mirrors act all jacked up,

when i hit unlock - passenger mirror rotates all the way, pass the point where it's supposed to be, and makes a cracking noise

I tried the previous suggestion, folding it all the way in when it's in broken mode, and it worked before but now it's back to being stupid!!! makes 0 sense

has anyone found a solid solution ??? I am NOT paying to have this fixed
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerider187 View Post
this is BS i am having the same problem on my 07 335i

i just washed the car so I think trapped water is fking with some sht n now my mirrors act all jacked up,

when i hit unlock - passenger mirror rotates all the way, pass the point where it's supposed to be, and makes a cracking noise

I tried the previous suggestion, folding it all the way in when it's in broken mode, and it worked before but now it's back to being stupid!!! makes 0 sense

has anyone found a solid solution ??? I am NOT paying to have this fixed
I have had the same exact problem, but this was stemming from when someone clipped my mirror when my car was parked. Luckily nothing broke, but it is a pain every now and then to adjust the mirror. For me, I usually play around with a little Open/close a few times try lining it up manually and eventually it pops into place.

That cracking noise hurts, I always feel like something is about to break. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
ricerider187
Ricebanger
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
I have had the same exact problem, but this was stemming from when someone clipped my mirror when my car was parked. Luckily nothing broke, but it is a pain every now and then to adjust the mirror. For me, I usually play around with a little Open/close a few times try lining it up manually and eventually it pops into place.

That cracking noise hurts, I always feel like something is about to break. Good luck.

okay... so this morning 8am going to work I am thinking to myself I bet it wont happen today...

unlocked AND closed the door without it happening...

my hypothesis is that when it is wet (from a car wash or rain) it acts up but after it dries the problem goes away.

however when I reverse the passenger mirror does not adjust...

hmm
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerider187 View Post
okay... so this morning 8am going to work I am thinking to myself I bet it wont happen today...

unlocked AND closed the door without it happening...

my hypothesis is that when it is wet (from a car wash or rain) it acts up but after it dries the problem goes away.

however when I reverse the passenger mirror does not adjust...

hmm
Did you check to see that you don't have the right side mirror selected for adjusting? The mirror doesnt move unless its selecting the left side.

Hm that sounds weird. Whatever is causing the problem when wet would probably damage whatever it was getting into. Let's hope this isnt the case.

Maybe if it occurs the same under similar circumstances, we can rule further in detail
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #10
ricerider187
Ricebanger
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
Did you check to see that you don't have the right side mirror selected for adjusting? The mirror doesnt move unless its selecting the left side.

Hm that sounds weird. Whatever is causing the problem when wet would probably damage whatever it was getting into. Let's hope this isnt the case.

Maybe if it occurs the same under similar circumstances, we can rule further in detail
okay so it happened once more, i ran over, stopped it in where it should be

then left it

hasnt done that voodoo magic bs since

I honestly think, well i read somewhere, that its the connectors in the mirror thing, get corroded, sends off weird amps/signals, makes the mirror do wacky sht

the solution is to disassemble mirror unit, pull out cables, clean it, put diaelectric grease which i assumes conducts sht

problem solves

but

aint nobody got time fo dat
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
camper4
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

a better solution is to cut the one wire that allows the mirror to fold. you will still be able to adjust the glass and have your heated and auto-dimming mirror. it was done to one of mine and works fine.

the biggest question is which wire to cut....i have to cut the wire on my driver side now since it's doing the same thing but don't feel like ripping apart my passenger mirror again since the clamps were broken and i had to silicone the back cover piece on.

anyone know which wire it is?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
camper4
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

this is if you can live without the power folding mirrors of course....
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
mrjoe
joseph
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i E90 N52

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
QUICK EASY FIX

if the mirror comes to a rest in an undesired angle, simply put the mirrors in the up folded position (by hand) and depress the bUtton to fold the mirrors up. since they are already up the gear will skip (loud pop). Should only take one try to get them back into position. Afterwards fold down as usual and bam, buisness as usual