E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > iPod integration in an '06 E90

12-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
brian12335
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

iPod integration in an '06 E90

What are the options to get iPod/iPhone integration going in a 2006 330i (with professional nav)? A dealer once vaguely mentioned some kind of retrofit kit that they can put in, but didn't go into detail. Does it use the snap-in adaptor (i have an iPhone 4), and would I be able to browse artists/songs/playlists etc on the iDrive screen? I'm tossing up whether its worth it, because I often switch to a radio app on my phone and stream that via AUX .. which wouldn't be doable if the phone was locked in place in the console .. anyway thanks for any info!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
SharifE
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90

There is an iPhone4 snap in kit that replaces the useless nokia one.
Offcourse goes without saying order from Overseas unless happy to pay $5to600. And u can play ur mp3s through it. There is a thread on here somewhere with a link. Good luck
      01-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Retired 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12335 View Post
What are the options to get iPod/iPhone integration going in a 2006 330i (with professional nav)? A dealer once vaguely mentioned some kind of retrofit kit that they can put in, but didn't go into detail. Does it use the snap-in adaptor (i have an iPhone 4), and would I be able to browse artists/songs/playlists etc on the iDrive screen? I'm tossing up whether its worth it, because I often switch to a radio app on my phone and stream that via AUX .. which wouldn't be doable if the phone was locked in place in the console .. anyway thanks for any info!
The iPod kit is basically a cable that will be installed and will be found in your glove box after installation, it will enable you to view your songs,playlist, etc on your idrive. I actually have one for sale if interested.
2017 M2 Coupe:|Black Sapphire Metallic|DCT|Nav/Idrive|M Performance CF Spoiler|M Performance CF DCT Interior| M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills| M Performance Steel Pedals | Eventuri CF CAI | 19" Brixton Rims | KW V3 Clubsport |
Retired: |2008 328i Sedan|Montego Blue|
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
orey
Banned
Rep
Drives: the forums

so even if you dont have the usb port in your car the snap in adaptor will give you full connectivity? i.e. songs displayed on screen etc?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Retired 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by orey View Post
so even if you dont have the usb port in your car the snap in adaptor will give you full connectivity? i.e. songs displayed on screen etc?
yes, you can control everything using idrive.
2017 M2 Coupe:|Black Sapphire Metallic|DCT|Nav/Idrive|M Performance CF Spoiler|M Performance CF DCT Interior| M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills| M Performance Steel Pedals | Eventuri CF CAI | 19" Brixton Rims | KW V3 Clubsport |
Retired: |2008 328i Sedan|Montego Blue|
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
orey
Banned
Rep
Drives: the forums

i dont mean the thing you are trying to sell, i mean if you only have the cradle does it give you full connectivity?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 04:49 AM   #7
dragon20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Still Looking

Hi Guys, I have E90 - 06 with Mp3 CD Stacker in the boot. From my understanding Ipod kit requires, a module to be connected via MOST and you can only have ipod or CD Stacker.. Also i read that in order for this to work car must be coded for CD Stacker. I am pretty happy with cd stacker, but if i could have both its a bonus
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #8
brian12335
Rep

Well .. in case anybody is interested, I spoke with my local dealer. They have a surprisingly limited knowledge and understanding, but eventually I was told that the only solution I could go for is as described above - it lives in the glove box, and replaces the CD stacker. However, it does not allow you to "browse" your iPod (songs/albums/artists etc) on the iDrive screen. All it does it let you cycle through 6 specific playlists (BMW1-BMW6). With installation, I was quoted $1200 and almost fell off my chair.

**IF** I had a later e90 with USB, then apparently all I would need is a special cable, and like magic your iPod is browsable through the iDrive screen. Unfortunatly the USB connection can not be retrofitted to my 2006 E90 :-(

Oh well!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 04:53 AM   #9
Drew335
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i

Hey Brian

No offence to the gents at Rolfe but they really don't know what they are talking about. If you're in a 2006 E90 without USB but with professional navigation then you are in the same situation as me, I am in a 2007 E92 with the same nav. They quoted almost $2k for me to fit iPod integration but couldn't provide me with enough details about how it would work. From the description you have provided they are still way off track

I did my own research and purchased this iPod integration kit from EAS:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=393

Have a read of the specs ... bascially it replaces your stacker but each CD from one through six has a different feature. So CD1 is playlists, CD2 is artist name etc. I highly recommend it and haven't looked back since the install. It cost me about $450 landed plus around $400 install, I've had mine installed for about 12 months. Note this is an OEM part so Rolfe will happily install it without any argument...

Given you are a fellow Canberra driver PM me if you want to catch up and check it out

Quote:
Well .. in case anybody is interested, I spoke with my local dealer. They have a surprisingly limited knowledge and understanding, but eventually I was told that the only solution I could go for is as described above - it lives in the glove box, and replaces the CD stacker. However, it does not allow you to "browse" your iPod (songs/albums/artists etc) on the iDrive screen. All it does it let you cycle through 6 specific playlists (BMW1-BMW6). With installation, I was quoted $1200 and almost fell off my chair.

**IF** I had a later e90 with USB, then apparently all I would need is a special cable, and like magic your iPod is browsable through the iDrive screen. Unfortunatly the USB connection can not be retrofitted to my 2006 E90 :-(

Oh well!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

This is exactly what I have in my 335i (2006), works great.
They charged $900 at Trivett installed, but I got a credit of $400 as they took over 3 days to install
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 01:45 AM   #11
brian12335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew335 View Post
Hey Brian

No offence to the gents at Rolfe but they really don't know what they are talking about. If you're in a 2006 E90 without USB but with professional navigation then you are in the same situation as me, I am in a 2007 E92 with the same nav. They quoted almost $2k for me to fit iPod integration but couldn't provide me with enough details about how it would work. From the description you have provided they are still way off track

I did my own research and purchased this iPod integration kit from EAS:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=393

Have a read of the specs ... bascially it replaces your stacker but each CD from one through six has a different feature. So CD1 is playlists, CD2 is artist name etc. I highly recommend it and haven't looked back since the install. It cost me about $450 landed plus around $400 install, I've had mine installed for about 12 months. Note this is an OEM part so Rolfe will happily install it without any argument...

Given you are a fellow Canberra driver PM me if you want to catch up and check it out
Thanks heaps for that Drew -- very helpful. It turns out that the iPod integration kit they have is the same as the one you've pointed out - they are just clueless as to how it operates. They charge $425 for the kit + labor. They have quoted me 3-4 hours, which brings the total to around $1000 (still an eye-watering price, but what can you do). I've got it booked in in 2 weeks time :-D
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 02:04 AM   #12
Drew335
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks heaps for that Drew -- very helpful. It turns out that the iPod integration kit they have is the same as the one you've pointed out - they are just clueless as to how it operates. They charge $425 for the kit + labor. They have quoted me 3-4 hours, which brings the total to around $1000 (still an eye-watering price, but what can you do). I've got it booked in in 2 weeks time :-D
nice work on getting the kit for $425 as they quoted me over $700 for it!!!

I just checked the paperwork and my install took 36 units of service tech time which was $450. not sure which SA you are dealing with but Michael looked after me when they installed it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 02:17 AM   #13
brian12335
Rep

Quote:
nice work on getting the kit for $425 as they quoted me over $700 for it!!!

I just checked the paperwork and my install took 36 units of service tech time which was $450. not sure which SA you are dealing with but Michael looked after me when they installed it.
Cool. I spoke with Michael yesterday when I was considering it but was talked out of it - it sounded like an iPod retrofit was just the very last thing he felt like doing, to be honest.

Today I spoke with Alex who was great. This was after a horrendous phone call with a woman in the parts area - I wanted the part number of the part they are installing, just so I could make sure I'm getting what I think I'm getting. I'm still absolutely appalled / disgusted at this woman's "service".

Do you find the speed etc of the kit OK? I've read that if there's a lot of music/artists/albums etc on your iPod, it can take a few minutes(!!) to load / refresh. And I understand it is limited to the first 250 tracks or albums? Also -- have you tested it with an iPhone (which apparently is supported), or just an iPod?

I'm hoping that this installation is going to force a software update on my iDrive which I don't think has been touched since 2006 -- I do find the whole system pretty slow and unresponsive overall.

Anyway -- thanks again for all the info -- you've been 1000x more helpful than anyone at BMW!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 03:29 AM   #14
Drew335
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Cool. I spoke with Michael yesterday when I was considering it but was talked out of it - it sounded like an iPod retrofit was just the very last thing he felt like doing, to be honest.

Today I spoke with Alex who was great. This was after a horrendous phone call with a woman in the parts area - I wanted the part number of the part they are installing, just so I could make sure I'm getting what I think I'm getting. I'm still absolutely appalled / disgusted at this woman's "service".

Do you find the speed etc of the kit OK? I've read that if there's a lot of music/artists/albums etc on your iPod, it can take a few minutes(!!) to load / refresh. And I understand it is limited to the first 250 tracks or albums? Also -- have you tested it with an iPhone (which apparently is supported), or just an iPod?

I'm hoping that this installation is going to force a software update on my iDrive which I don't think has been touched since 2006 -- I do find the whole system pretty slow and unresponsive overall.

Anyway -- thanks again for all the info -- you've been 1000x more helpful than anyone at BMW!

Cheers!
Yeah the service at Rolfe sometimes leaves a bit to be desired, I guess that's a result of having a captive market. I've found the service guys to be pretty good to deal with but agree that parts area is pretty average. I know the woman you are talking about in parts, have spoken with her before

Anyway the speed of the unit is generally alright, but it depends on how you use it. I find the playlists (CD1) to be the quickest and easiest whereas the album title (CD3) takes so long that I don't bother any more. It does depend on how much music you have on the iPod ... I am using an iPod classic with 60GB and a lot of different albums, hence why the album sort is slow. Having said all of that, I still highly recommend it!!! It's a great integration kit and light years ahead of what many other manufacturers offer. I used to have a DICE iPod kit in my E46 and this sh-ts all over it

Re device compatibility I have a dedicated iPod classic in the car for this purpose but have also plugged in an iPhone 3GS and my iPhone 4, they all work fine. Also the speed on my iPhone 4 was much better although I guess that's because there is hardly any music on it.

FYI I have the install manual for the kit as a PDF. If you want a copy PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. It does include a software update of some sort, hopefully that will help with the speed!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 04:04 AM   #15
brian12335
Rep

Quote:
Yeah the service at Rolfe sometimes leaves a bit to be desired, I guess that's a result of having a captive market. I've found the service guys to be pretty good to deal with but agree that parts area is pretty average. I know the woman you are talking about in parts, have spoken with her before

Anyway the speed of the unit is generally alright, but it depends on how you use it. I find the playlists (CD1) to be the quickest and easiest whereas the album title (CD3) takes so long that I don't bother any more. It does depend on how much music you have on the iPod ... I am using an iPod classic with 60GB and a lot of different albums, hence why the album sort is slow. Having said all of that, I still highly recommend it!!! It's a great integration kit and light years ahead of what many other manufacturers offer. I used to have a DICE iPod kit in my E46 and this sh-ts all over it

Re device compatibility I have a dedicated iPod classic in the car for this purpose but have also plugged in an iPhone 3GS and my iPhone 4, they all work fine. Also the speed on my iPhone 4 was much better although I guess that's because there is hardly any music on it.

FYI I have the install manual for the kit as a PDF. If you want a copy PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. It does include a software update of some sort, hopefully that will help with the speed!
Yes .. being the only dealer in town does allows them to get away with horrid service, which is a shame. I found Brisbane BMW to be absolutely fantastic in terms of service, even after I had taken delivery of the car.

Sweet - I'm looking forward to getting this installed now. I've PM'd you my email as I'd be interested in having a look at the install manual.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #16
bmwaddiction
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS350 F Sport

hi, I also have the same kit installed. I ordered the actual kit from schmiedmann.com for around $200 and paid Rolfe Classic $400 to install it

The installation took 2 days because the guy installing it was fairly new and did the Alpine hifi upgrade on car at the same time.

I do not have IDrive but:

1. I can control / flick between the playlists manually
2. Once in a playlist can play songs, play next, fast forward and rewind through teh steering wheel
3. Can have as many playlists as I want - you are actually NOT limited to the number of playlists or tracks if you set the unit up and know how to operate it.

So the operation is about 30 percent manual via dash to select playlists, and then 70 percent remote through the steering wheel

Although its not as good as the ipod connectivity coming out in new cars it is still an excellent solution for 05-06 e90s without the USB connectivity.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #17
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I had the retrofit done via BMW sydney that replaces the CD stacker with a cable in the glove box for an iPod in 2007 for about $850.

Works great, can be sluggish to load certain play lists but other than that much better than cd's etc.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0