E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Considering CPO as my first Bimmer

11-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
hadoob024
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Considering CPO as my first Bimmer

Have been in love with Bimmers my entire life (my dad's owned the last three generations of the 5) and am FINALLY in a place to get my first one. The number of options of going about this are kind of mind boggling (model versus means of acquiring it). As of now I'm thinking a CPO 335i. My dream is still an M3, but unfortunately am not in a position to be considering that (yet... or am I).

Any pitfalls/suggestions/gotchas/tips? What should I be looking for and/or asking about when looking at CPO's? Are turbos an issue with 335i CPO's? Is an M3 even an option at this point? Even the amount of info on this site is kinda daunting. Thanks in advance!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
E30M3Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C, 97 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
1989 BMW M3  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadoob024 View Post
Have been in love with Bimmers my entire life (my dad's owned the last three generations of the 5) and am FINALLY in a place to get my first one. The number of options of going about this are kind of mind boggling (model versus means of acquiring it). As of now I'm thinking a CPO 335i. My dream is still an M3, but unfortunately am not in a position to be considering that (yet... or am I).

Any pitfalls/suggestions/gotchas/tips? What should I be looking for and/or asking about when looking at CPO's? Are turbos an issue with 335i CPO's? Is an M3 even an option at this point? Even the amount of info on this site is kinda daunting. Thanks in advance!!!
If you are asking the question of whether or not an M3 is an option and you aren't sure of the answer then it is definitely not an option for you.

What to look for in a CPO 335i is no different than any other used car - inspect it thoroughly. Keep in mind CPO doesn't cover wear items or radio or nav electronics - pay particular attention to those items because you are stuck with any defects that haven't been corrected under the factory warranty or as part of negotiating a deal.

Turbos are a potential issue regardless if it is CPO or not - only difference is you can likely get those replaced under CPO warranty if they are a problem.

Performance Center Delivery, June 21, 2013: 2013 E92 335is | Le Mans Blue | Gray Leather with Black | 6MT | 19" Style 313's | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler |
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
hadoob024
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30M3Driver View Post
If you are asking the question of whether or not an M3 is an option and you aren't sure of the answer then it is definitely not an option for you.

What to look for in a CPO 335i is no different than any other used car - inspect it thoroughly. Keep in mind CPO doesn't cover wear items or radio or nav electronics - pay particular attention to those items because you are stuck with any defects that haven't been corrected under the factory warranty or as part of negotiating a deal.

Turbos are a potential issue regardless if it is CPO or not - only difference is you can likely get those replaced under CPO warranty if they are a problem.
I only meant to ask if they do CPO M3's. I don't see why not, but I couldn't find anything on any of the local BMW dealership websites, so I wasn't sure.

It really comes down to comparing prices versus what's available (which I guess is always the issue )

Cool. That's good to know. I assumed that little things like that would be caught and fixed by a CPO, but I guess not. From what I've read on this forum, looks like (for a 335i) I would have to look out for HPFP issues, wastegate rattle issues and turbo issues. Sound right?

Someone also suggested looking at LeaseTrader. Any thoughts on this?

Going to swing by the dealership this weekend and start my research. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
rg87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Just make sure to inspect the car thoroughly. Buying CPO doesn't necessarily mean the dealer is being truthful about the car. Speaking from experience, I bought an E46 CPO from a BMW dealership and when I sold the car, I found out that the car was previously accidented. And I did have it inspected....

Make sure to get a vehicle history report. Most dealers use "carfax", but I would recommend using "autocheck.com". They appear to be more accurate with vehicle history!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ask in your regional sub-forum about a reputable dealer and salesman, and you shouldn't be worried about getting the run-around on a CPO.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
hadoob024
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg87 View Post
Just make sure to inspect the car thoroughly. Buying CPO doesn't necessarily mean the dealer is being truthful about the car. Speaking from experience, I bought an E46 CPO from a BMW dealership and when I sold the car, I found out that the car was previously accidented. And I did have it inspected....

Make sure to get a vehicle history report. Most dealers use "carfax", but I would recommend using "autocheck.com". They appear to be more accurate with vehicle history!
Cool. Wow! Didn't know that would be an issue.

Yeah, I know about Carfax, but hadn't heard of autocheck.com. Will definitely run my potential buy through both of them though. Thanks for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
hadoob024
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Flush View Post
Ask in your regional sub-forum about a reputable dealer and salesman, and you shouldn't be worried about getting the run-around on a CPO.
Cool. Thanks! Yeah, I went through those as well. Everyone in my area seems to have high opinions of Nalley BMW in Decatur, GA (which is only like 10 minutes away). In fact, my dad bought his last three generations of 5 series cars from them!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool. Thanks! Yeah, I went through those as well. Everyone in my area seems to have high opinions of Nalley BMW in Decatur, GA (which is only like 10 minutes away). In fact, my dad bought his last three generations of 5 series cars from them!
Ask if they have any salesman they recommend. While you're at it, also ask for recommended SAs/techs. If your dad purchased the last three generations of 5 series from them, dropping your last name and your Dad's name should only benefit you. If the salesman your Dad worked with is still there, that'd probably benefit you also.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
hadoob024
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Ask if they have any salesman they recommend. While you're at it, also ask for recommended SAs/techs. If your dad purchased the last three generations of 5 series from them, dropping your last name and your Dad's name should only benefit you. If the salesman your Dad worked with is still there, that'd probably benefit you also.
Yup. Had a couple of them mention a Mark Tishler. I think my dad knows someone else there. Cool. Yeah, already planning on going there this Sunday with my dad!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup. Had a couple of them mention a Mark Tishler. I think my dad knows someone else there. Cool. Yeah, already planning on going there this Sunday with my dad!
Good deal, but don't be in a rush to get one. Wait for the one you absolutely want.

Last edited by Royal Flush; 11-03-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
hadoob024
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Good deal, but don't be in a rush to get one. Wait for the one you absolutely want.
Thanks. Yup. I'm in no rush. The XTerra's holding up for now so I'm not in a "need" situation, just a "want and can afford" situation. Plus, I figure once the 2012's start rolling out, I'll be able to find better deals on new 2010's/2011's or CPO's!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
E30M3Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
1989 BMW M3  [8.20]
Quote:
I only meant to ask if they do CPO M3's. I don't see why not, but I couldn't find anything on any of the local BMW dealership websites, so I wasn't sure.

Cool. That's good to know. I assumed that little things like that would be caught and fixed by a CPO, but I guess not.
Yes you can CPO an M3 - cost is higher of course.

The CPO is simply an inspection, the thoroughness of which is as only as good as the tech doing it. Sure they fix things that would otherwise have the car be out of BMW spec/standards for the car/age - but it is still a used car in the end. In the words of a BMW field service rep who shall remain nameless - the point of CPO is "not to refurbish the car to like new"...

Inspect it like you would any other car, especially those items not covered by the CPO warranty and you'll do well.

And, if you find a good non-CPO car, you can always buy the BMW extended warranty that is equivalent to or even better than the CPO warranty for about the same money or just a little more.

Performance Center Delivery, June 21, 2013: 2013 E92 335is | Le Mans Blue | Gray Leather with Black | 6MT | 19" Style 313's | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler |
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
hadoob024
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes you can CPO an M3 - cost is higher of course.

The CPO is simply an inspection, the thoroughness of which is as only as good as the tech doing it. Sure they fix things that would otherwise have the car be out of BMW spec/standards for the car/age - but it is still a used car in the end. In the words of a BMW field service rep who shall remain nameless - the point of CPO is "not to refurbish the car to like new"...

Inspect it like you would any other car, especially those items not covered by the CPO warranty and you'll do well.

And, if you find a good non-CPO car, you can always buy the BMW extended warranty that is equivalent to or even better than the CPO warranty for about the same money or just a little more.
Hmmm.. Good to know. I kinda thought it was "to refurbish the car to like new".

Any other gotchas with the 335i other than the ones I listed previously?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
E30M3Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
1989 BMW M3  [8.20]
Quote:
Hmmm.. Good to know. I kinda thought it was "to refurbish the car to like new".

Any other gotchas with the 335i other than the ones I listed previously?
If you are looking at automatics - keep an eye out for transmission fluid leaks - a known problem with the Mechatronic seal.

Pay attention for trim wear issues around the driver and passenger side center consoles, where the seat belt connector is located.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #15
hadoob024
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
If you are looking at automatics - keep an eye out for transmission fluid leaks - a known problem with the Mechatronic seal.

Pay attention for trim wear issues around the driver and passenger side center consoles, where the seat belt connector is located.
Cool. Are there any model year's in particular that suffer from the transmission fluid leak issue or trim wear issues?
Appreciate 0