E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > High End Appliances, Worth it?

07-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #23
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

IMO, it's not worth the price.

I would stick with consumer reports survey of certain brands and models. The ones I've had great success with were:

1. Bosch dishwasher
2. GE stove (though it's hard to mess up a stove these days)
3. Kenmore microwaves
4. GE fridges

I absolutely love my Bosch dishwasher..it was expensive, but the overall cleaning power and reliability is amazing, and was a consumer reports recommend brand.

Note consumer reports do not cover all models within a brand, but if you know the technical of the model you're looking for, it's probably go the same major components and will have similar breakdown/wear rates. For example, my Bosch wasn't exactly the same as in the report, but the one they reported as the top pick was the version that had a different handle and display design. It utilized the same motor.

I just got a Samsung fridge (for free), so we'll see about this...my prior GE one was bulletproof. 10+ years

Last edited by Flying Ace; 07-05-2016 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #24
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
We have all Miele appliances. Awesome for a small apartment. And we got a 10 year warranty on everything. Just like my car, I want appliances that are built in Germany. The warranty covers repair on site, which is handy because all the appliances are built in.
what warranty did you buy?

My in-laws wants Miele everything for their new kitchen...

I was trying to get them in on Bosch. I see Bosch service vehicles all the time around here, so it implies they also provide local servicing as well.
      07-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #25
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post

I was trying to get them in on Bosch. I see Bosch service vehicles all the time around here, so it implies they also provide local servicing as well.
Tell them to get a combi-steam oven. They'll thank you for it. They will need to pair it with a more traditional convection oven, but that steam oven is the SHIT. And the Futura Diamond dishwasher. They'll thank you for that too.
      07-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #26
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
IMHO high end appliances are an absolute scam. Most of the features are needless to say the least, just go with something like GE's Profile line and be done with it if you want "really nice".
X2. Not seeing how they can freeze food "better" or keep food colder "better" enough to justify a price 2-3 times what a standard refrigerator/freezer costs.

Besides controlling temperature and humidity (and most brands have individual compartments that do a decent job of controlling humidity) I am interested in hearing more about what these units do significantly better.
      07-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #27
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

A fridge is meant to keep stuff cold. Some style, some features are nice to have, but let's get real...you won't notice it 2 weeks after you own it.

I have a decently pimp refrigerator (retails around $4k) and it was a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #28
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
We have all Miele appliances. Awesome for a small apartment. And we got a 10 year warranty on everything. Just like my car, I want appliances that are built in Germany. The warranty covers repair on site, which is handy because all the appliances are built in.

We got the ten year warranty offered direct from Miele on purchase.

Love our combo microwave/convection oven. Means we can have dual ovens, and a microwave still. A luxury in a small apartment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #29
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

^^^
Like the kitchen design
From experience my Miele dishwasher liked powdered detergent not the liquid kind and certainly not the Palmolive Eco friendly detergent, the liquid stuff sets of the Intake/Drain light.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #30
cprx7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i;

Think Resale.
      07-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #31
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
X2. Not seeing how they can freeze food "better" or keep food colder "better" enough to justify a price 2-3 times what a standard refrigerator/freezer costs.

Besides controlling temperature and humidity (and most brands have individual compartments that do a decent job of controlling humidity) I am interested in hearing more about what these units do significantly better.
I've had the good and the bad. Here is the main difference

1. SZ cools evenly, (ever have frozen fruit because you stuck it in the back of the fridge?

2. Humidity control is insanity. The sealed system keeps things very very fresh. I have had fresh cherries in my fridge for the past 2 weeks and they have yet to go bad...

3. Dual refrigeration. Two separate systems for the freezer and fridge. Keeps the smells from the fridge out of the ice in the freezer.

4. Cabinet depth: keeps refrigerator hidden. I absolutely despise how standard refrigerators stick out 4-6 inches past the cabinet, makes the kitchen just look thrown together

beyond that, i get it, youre paying for a name. Next time around i would probably save myself some $$ and get a built in GE Monogram, same looks, similar functionality and 60% of the cost...

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #32
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:

Mainly they use two different systems to cool the fridge and freeze the freezer. Where as most freezer / fridge combos utilize the same system to freeze and cool the fridge. One has a problem, the other has a problem. One has a bad smell in it, the other has a bad smell in it.

The humidity is generally pretty high in a fridge. But you don't want humidity in the freezer. Having a freezer that only is recicuclateing and cooling already low humidity air makes it easier and makes for a better freezer environment. That goes for cheap freezer only models as well. I have a fridge / freezer combo in the garage and a stand alone units in the kitchen. Freezer in the garage constantly builds up ice that i have tend to. Freezer only has no such occurrence. Fridge outside has water leaking into it from the melting ice in the freezer. Stand alone fridge does not. In addition, it's difficult to find a nice looking, inexpensive, long lasting stand alone fridge. My stand alone fridge is larger than most people's fridge freezer combos. Has heavy duty motor, heavy duty door hinges, holds a crap ton of stuff on the door without a creak or any imbalance. They are generally made with higher quality materials as well.

As mentioned before, does a BMW do a better job at getting you to work than a civic? For those who appreciate the subtle differences between driving and going somewhere, it does. Much in the same way that high end appliances do a better job when you're incorporating them into you kitchen design, using them to prepare and store food.

I most certainly notice all of our appliances and use them frequently. I like the way the fridge handle feels, i like the way the drawers operate, i like how the door shuts. I like the way the knobs feel on the wolf gas range top, i like the sound the pans make when they contact the heavy steel grates above the burners. I like the touch screen interface on the double wolf ovens, i like the cobalt blue interior, i like how well the probe works with the oven, i like how the door opens and closes with a low frequency thud and i like how the fans stop when you open the oven door so the heat isn't blown out. I like how the motor on my range hood is in the attic and you can't hear the blower even though it's moving 1500cfm. I like the lighting that's built into the hood and the fact that it has commercial SS filters that are easy to remove and clean. There is not much i don't like about my appliances and even less that i don't notice. Even after 7 years.

Different things are important to different people.
      07-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #33
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprx7 View Post
Think Resale.
This too.

With regards home values, outside of location, a kitchen holds a large portion of that weight. An awesome kitchen can add value to a beautiful home. It can sell a shitty home. And a crappy kitchen can keep your house on the market much longer than you want it to be there.
      07-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #34
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ohhhh yeah baby! Sub zero
Attached Images

2017 C63
2012 X5M
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #35
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Mainly they use two different systems to cool the fridge and freeze the freezer. Where as most freezer / fridge combos utilize the same system to freeze and cool the fridge. One has a problem, the other has a problem. One has a bad smell in it, the other has a bad smell in it.

The humidity is generally pretty high in a fridge. But you don't want humidity in the freezer. Having a freezer that only is recicuclateing and cooling already low humidity air makes it easier and makes for a better freezer environment. That goes for cheap freezer only models as well. I have a fridge / freezer combo in the garage and a stand alone units in the kitchen. Freezer in the garage constantly builds up ice that i have tend to. Freezer only has no such occurrence. Fridge outside has water leaking into it from the melting ice in the freezer. Stand alone fridge does not. In addition, it's difficult to find a nice looking, inexpensive, long lasting stand alone fridge. My stand alone fridge is larger than most people's fridge freezer combos. Has heavy duty motor, heavy duty door hinges, holds a crap ton of stuff on the door without a creak or any imbalance. They are generally made with higher quality materials as well.

As mentioned before, does a BMW do a better job at getting you to work than a civic? For those who appreciate the subtle differences between driving and going somewhere, it does. Much in the same way that high end appliances do a better job when you're incorporating them into you kitchen design, using them to prepare and store food.

I most certainly notice all of our appliances and use them frequently. I like the way the fridge handle feels, i like the way the drawers operate, i like how the door shuts. I like the way the knobs feel on the wolf gas range top, i like the sound the pans make when they contact the heavy steel grates above the burners. I like the touch screen interface on the double wolf ovens, i like the cobalt blue interior, i like how well the probe works with the oven, i like how the door opens and closes with a low frequency thud and i like how the fans stop when you open the oven door so the heat isn't blown out. I like how the motor on my range hood is in the attic and you can't hear the blower even though it's moving 1500cfm. I like the lighting that's built into the hood and the fact that it has commercial SS filters that are easy to remove and clean. There is not much i don't like about my appliances and even less that i don't notice. Even after 7 years.

Different things are important to different people.
I don't care enough about appliances to read all of this but as long as you like what you bought good for you.
      07-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #36
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't care enough about appliances to read all of this but as long as you like what you bought good for you.
The TL;DR is:

The same as a BMW versus a Honda, it depends on what matters to you; all of the options are not necessary, but a nice luxury, and once you have it, you wont want it any other way. People may look at you like youre nuts for paying 50k + for a car, and you look at other as nuts for paying 8k for a fridge. But the world goes round

2017 C63
2012 X5M
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #37
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
I question, are these freaking appliances worth it? For what i've spent in maintenance and repairs, i could've gotten a new high end LG every 3 years....
To make my answer simpler. No.
      07-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #38
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

My $.02

I did much research on multiple fridges including Sub Zero and Viking. I also looked at LG, Kenmore, Whirlpool, etc. In the end I decided on this Samsung.

We have had it over a 1.5yrs and it is superb. It is quiet, ultra efficient, super roomy, and great looking! Manufacturers warranty is outstanding. I have owned multiple Samsung products from phones, TV's, Washer and Dryers and they make a solid and visually appealing product/appliance, period.
It listed for $4k and I got it for just over $3k.

FYI they have an amazing new "Smart Model" that let's you look inside from your phone and the front door has a giant LCD with all sorts of nifty info:

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 07-05-2016 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 11:57 PM   #39
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Well my $1500 microwave went out in under a year. My $50 one i bought back in college 10 years ago is still working though.

So no, high end appliances aren't worth it.

Although i will be getting that smart fridge once my current fridge shits the bed. Looks so cool and i love paying for things i won't use.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:36 AM   #40
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

To get in the spirit of this forum, I suggest buying an LG, debadging it, and slapping a SZ badge on.
Appreciate 3
      07-06-2016, 05:52 AM   #41
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher
To get in the spirit of this forum, I suggest buying an LG, debadging it, and slapping a SZ badge on.
Yes! But wrap it in Xpel stealth wrap first.
      07-06-2016, 06:15 AM   #42
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Naz24 perhaps you should check out the "ding & dent" shop for a new SZ. ?

I know over here in Germany, Miele is the best you can buy. Heck they even make all the screws for their appliances!! I remember years ago I went shopping for a washer... this shop only had Miele units... their cheapest was like 23K DMarks(at that time that was like almost $10K(in USd)!!! The most expensive model was 38K DMarks. lol

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #43
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

This should fit your current needs/space: http://www.bluestarcooking.com/refri...-refrigerator/

Bluestar is a US Company, the 36" is their only fridge, similar price to SZ, but appear to have way better specs. I have a SZ kitchen (mostly - Freezer drawers; beverage fridge and 36 inch side by side fridge). Recently had issues with the ice maker repaired under warranty. For my range I decided to step away from SZ/Wolf and installed a Capital Culinarian, probably one of the best ranges available:http://www.capital-culinarian.com

Last edited by radiofrequency; 07-07-2016 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 08:35 AM   #44
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Come on...tell me,are high end prostitutes worth it?
Appreciate 0