E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > How does Cobb get away without external power supply for flashing?

01-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #67
atlharry
Second Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidiup View Post
This BMW stuff is new to me and I have been reading this site to update myself on mod'n a BMW but this seems to mean......The AP is Detectable. WTF???

I'm sure I'm not the only one but I'm not looking to loose my warranty. When I got the car I got a very clear impression if you mod it and we catch it, we will void it.
modding is pay to play. always has been
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #68
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Yes, but with COBB, all you need to do is reflash back to stock and all of those stored values and increased load limits are gone...
It would be good if Cobb officially comments on this.

You're running GIAC, right? Have they officially commented on your assumption of what would happen to these values if you get flashed back to stock? (not just a map switch to "stock")
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #69
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Flashing back to stock, regardless of flash transport device (laptop, handheld programmer, BMW dealership coding tool, etc) will have no effect on this stored data. It's purpose it too keep track of things that are well beyond the scope of basic repair/maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #70
SennaZ
been there... done that
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
It's simply a matter of looking at the Max engine load value. Very cut and dry.

Shiv
I suspect the max load value is going to be pretty high to allow for 100 octane gas, large variances in temp and engine to engine variations.

Not to speak for Cobb, but I know they are aware of these ecu memory locations and I got the impression from an earlier post by Rob, he could overwrite them if he wanted.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #71
Imperator
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

What's a valid indicator of a flash tune that may serve as a proof-positive indicator of tampering? The Cobb AccessPORT does not increment the write counter and the volatile adaptations data are cleared when uninstalled. If the FASTA data is accessible from other modules, what values can be polled that might be worth investigating? Are load, boost or MAP values stored elsewhere?

Thanks to Magnuson-Moss, I've never encountered a dealer service department that put the burden of proof on me, and those who are willing to risk breach of contract do well to document their positions.

So the mass hysteria begins.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #72
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

let me clear this up real quick..

ITSA/P /D is the network system software that helps to pull all the data together --

FASTA data is used for product analysis ... this compiled information helps with future generation cars. its easier to "see" how a vehicle performs outside of a test cell/track. given that every driver does something different, this logged information can be used to develop systems that are better suited for different conditions. its just like a real time road map, with ascents, decents, humidity changes and air temps,etc...

unfortunately for tuned cars that are not running a stock configuration some of these data traces will not fall in line with "normal" operating parameters.

but it will lead to move advanced systems with adaptation tables that can accomodate a variety of driving conditions. with innovation comes compromise.. i guess
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #73
atlharry
Second Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
What's a valid indicator of a flash tune that may serve as a proof-positive indicator of tampering? The Cobb AccessPORT does not increment the write counter and the volatile adaptations data are cleared when uninstalled. If the FASTA data is accessible from other modules, what values can be polled that might be worth investigating? Are load, boost or MAP values stored elsewhere?

Thanks to Magnuson-Moss, I've never encountered a dealer service department that put the burden of proof on me, and those who are willing to risk breach of contract do well to document their positions.

So the mass hysteria begins.
If Shiv is correct, then max historical load is [one of] the values that could be keyed upon and is held in a non-flashable module. Again, we all want to hear from COBB regarding this.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #74
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterboy45 View Post
let me clear this up real quick..

ITSA/P /D is the network system software that helps to pull all the data together --

FASTA data is used for product analysis ... this compiled information helps with future generation cars. its easier to "see" how a vehicle performs outside of a test cell/track. given that every driver does something different, this logged information can be used to develop systems that are better suited for different conditions. its just like a real time road map, with ascents, decents, humidity changes and air temps,etc...

unfortunately for tuned cars that are not running a stock configuration some of these data traces will not fall in line with "normal" operating parameters.

but it will lead to move advanced systems with adaptation tables that can accomodate a variety of driving conditions. with innovation comes compromise.. i guess
I should just have an auto "+1" reply macro for your posts. Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #75
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think the problem is that many people don't understand the technology. A reflash, regardless of the transport device (handheld programmer, a tuner at a shop using their laptop, a BMW diagnostic computer, etc,.) simply re-writes data stored in flash memory. It cannot rewrite data stored in non-flash memory locations. That non-flash data is, for all practical purposes, permanent. Things that are stored in flash memory ARE DESIGNED to be updated periodically (calibration data/maps, traditional flash counters, service interval data, etc,.) This makes it convenient for aftermarket tuners who want to revise the data that relates to engine tuning. It's clean and simple. The only technical hurdles are learning the encryption keys (think of it as a secret handshake) and to know where the the various fuel/ignition/boost/etc,. tables are located in the data. This information, for the most part, can be purchased if you look hard enough and have enough money to spend.

All aftermarket DME flash devices mimic the handshake process of the factory BMW coding tool. This information is usually leaked from Germany. And more than a few employees at BMW have lost their job/been sued by leaking this info. But once an aftermarket device is capable of satisfying the DME's communication protocols, the flash memory can be read and rewritten to one's hearts content.

But that is half the story. There is more than this flash memory on the DME. There are memory locations that cannot be erased or edited. Think of them as a scoreboard that just keeps getting updated but never reset/cleared. On this scoreboard is operating info used by BMW AG to keep track of how the car is being driven in (and how it is responding to) real world by real world customers. On this scoreboard, expect to see things like fault code memory, average fuel integrators, calculated average knock, max RPM, max roadspeed, max engine load and whatever else BMW wants to keep track of. Whether we like it or not.

Shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 01-24-2011 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #76
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlharry View Post
Everyone re-read this. If this is the case, flashing back to stock wouldn't help as those values wouldn't be overwritten or updated. Realistically, the guys at COBB would be only ones that would be able to answer this.
We've known for some time the DME stores max rpm, vmax, load max, etc, in a hidden location. I've heard from a couple guys who got voided after doing a "money shift" revving the engine to 8000rpm and damaging parts. BT was working on finding the hidden location and coming up with a way to clear it but I don't believe they ever did. It's pretty locked down. Since it doesn't really effect the average piggyback user none of us have ever paid much attention to it. Flashing back to stock will definitely not clear it though. On the vmax remember each module also has a memory so that vmax being passed around the canbus is likely stored all over the place.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #77
Al Blue4.6l
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e89 Z4 sDrive35i

to clear up a potential incorrect implication in the above:

this "hidden data problem" is potentially faced by any sort of aftermarket modification and is certainly a problem for any sort of tune, whether it be flash, piggyback or whatever, correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #78
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

If there truly is a non-flashable portion of the DME, then every Cobb AP stage 1 OTS map customer is at risk IMO.

If I'm not mistaken, the rev limit was raised to 7200RPM on the AP stage 1 map. Just like someone who got their warranty voided running the Procede Speed Delimiter feature, I'm sure someone could equally get their warranty voided for revving their motor beyond 7000 RPM.
      01-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #79
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l View Post
to clear up a potential incorrect implication in the above:

this "hidden data problem" is potentially faced by any sort of aftermarket modification and is certainly a problem for any sort of tune, whether it be flash, piggyback or whatever, correct?
No, it only applies to tuning approaches that don't shield the DME from recording out-of-range engine data.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #80
shifterboy45
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
No, it only applies to tuning approaches that don't shield the DME from recording out-of-range engine data.
straight and to the point..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #81
atlharry
Second Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterboy45 View Post
straight and to the point..
It was quite a nice edit, IMO
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #82
Sakebomb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #83
gidiup
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlharry View Post
modding is pay to play. always has been
Been mod'd for 20 years. Completely understand risk vs reward. Just want to be completed educated before pulln the trigger. If a vendor says this.... I will be prepared for this. Just don't want this and then it's that.

Tell me what to expect. All I'm sayn

Where is Cobb?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #84
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

Sounds like a bunch of smoke and mirrors from a guy making his living selling piggybacks who is scared to death of the new flash on the block if you ask me...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #85
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Sounds like a bunch of smoke and mirrors from a guy making his living selling piggybacks who is scared to death of the new flash on the block if you ask me...
lol, hopefully you dont get banned for this
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #86
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
lol, hopefully you dont get banned for this
lol - memories
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #87
shifterboy45
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
this whole "discussion" started with a question I posed,
not a vendor.

my question was legitimate... and not intended to sway customers or create pandimonium.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #88
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

IMO the quality of any tune, flash or piggyback, is inversely proportional to the number of vendor posts that justify their own tune or criticize the competition.
Appreciate 0