Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire Blow Out: Quick Question

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Tire Blow Out: Quick Question

Damn NJ pot hole cost me a Hankook Ventus tire today. I'm going to get a new one tomorrow but I got an extra set of rims in my attic that are the same exact as the ones I got on now. They have different brand tires (same size), so question is can I put them on? My car is X drive, which is why I'm asking.

Sorry to celerity i would be swapping out just the one wheel.

Last edited by Delta0311; 02-05-2015 at 04:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Damn NJ pot hole cost me a Hankook Ventus tire today. I'm going to get a new one tomorrow but I got an extra set of rims in my attic that are the same exact as the ones I got on now. They have different brand tires (same size), so question is can I put them on? My car is X drive, which is why I'm asking.

Sorry to celerity i would be swapping out just the one wheel.
Keep all four tires matching on an X drive car.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #3
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

if you lost one on the front then switch both fronts, as long as the tires are the same size and fairly same usage you will be just fine, but again, I would switch if front then two front if rear then two rear. Best case scenario, if you have full set why not switching all? One thing to keep in mind, if you get a new tire make sure the store will wear down the tire to match the usage on the rest of the tires
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Thanks guys.. I wound up at the dealer because I had to get some new lug bolts and none of the auto parts stores around me had any 12mm x 1.5 lugs around.. Only place that had them was Pep Boys but they had only one pack and for some fucking reason it came in a set of 4. So I got the 5th lug nut at the dealer and I also asked about the tire change. They brought out the senior tech and he said that unless the tire is nearly worn out there is not need to swap both, the system is not that sensitive. This was basically true on the older mechanical driven all-wheel drive systems, the electrical systems used today will adjust for variances. Lucky for me the other tire is still fairly new so not much variance in thread dept.

Last edited by Delta0311; 02-06-2015 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 02:56 PM   #5
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Thanks guys.. I wound up at the dealer because I had to get some new lug bolts and none of the auto parts stores around me had any 12mm x 1.5 lugs around.. Only place that had them was Pep Boys but they had only one pack and for some fucking reason it came in a set of 4. So I got the 5th lug nut at the dealer and I also asked about the tire change. They brought out the senior tech and he said that unless the tire is nearly worn out there is not need to swap both, the system is not that sensitive. This was basically true on the older mechanical driven all-wheel drive systems, the electrical systems used today will adjust for variances. Lucky for me the other tire is still fairly new so not much variance in thread dept.
good to know
Appreciate 0