Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > in a jam. need input

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
fredcase
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw=trash

in a jam. need input

I broke one of my rims. Found some used rims, then some used tires. I was told by the guy i bought the rims from he was running a staggered set up. 225/40/18 front, 255/35/18 rear. I assumed the rims were 18x8 and 18x8.5. They are not, they are square set up; 18x8, same offset. Will these tires be ok on these rims? 335xi btw
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Well, the front/rear tire combo you mention is correct for xDrive to keep mechanicals safe (within 1%), but according to TireRack these are the appropriate rim widths for those size tires:
  • 225/40/18 front = 7.5-9" Rim Width Range
  • 255/35/18 Rear = 8.5-10" Rim Width Range

I have run those very same size tires on my 09' 328iX with (2) different staggered wheel setups:
  • 18x8 ET34 F/18x8.5 ET37 R (BMW OEM 193M wheels)
  • 18x8.5 ET35 F/18x9.5 ET33 (Rep 313 Performance Style wheels)

Both which meet the guidelines for rim width vs. tire size

According to TireRack the rear wheels you got @ 8" width are too small for the 255's

IDK, how strict those sizes are, or just how much a 1/2" will make - but TireRack are professional wheel/tire guys & should know what they are talking about as far as safe rim width vs. tire size.

If you are to believe them, you either need to buy 225/40-18's for your rears & just go with square setup, or buy wider rear rims to properly fit the 255's

Basically, you could email/call TireRack & ask for yourself - I wouldn't necessarily just go by what some forum members would say if they tell you: 'It will be OK, I run those size tires on those size rims with no problems'

Just because some do it - doesn't make it correct. There are rules/specs for a reason...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
fredcase
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the reply.

Guys who mounted them gave me a bit of a hard time about width. But the diameter is very close when installed. So im not worried about messing up the transfer case. I only have to make this set up work untill i can get my summer set on. Or find an affordable staggered set of rims.

I was worried about the offset also. But they actually look pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Yeah, your diameters are spot on for correct staggered setup - so no worries about transfer case damage.

Only thing of any concern at all was the rim width for the tire size being installed with regards to the rears.

As far as correct different size tires that will work correctly with xDrive, whether they be square or staggered, here is a table made by another forum member (this denotes correct tire size match-ups, not necessarily will all these tires sizes fit without rubbing, or needing fender mods/spacers/different offsets/etc. with your specific car/suspension).

Blue Highlighted denotes OEM BMW staggered tire sizes that would come on car from factory.

You can see that the 235/40-18 Fronts & 265/35-18 Rears work well, & are another common staggered tire size chosen that you can usually get away with involving no problems with rubbing on xDrive since the suspension is so high, as long as your offsets are correct...

F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
fredcase
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks again. Ive seen that chart, but couldn't find it when i needed it. I was worried the square set up would throw off the diameter. I should be ok for now. But will need to find a better rim set up.
Appreciate 0