E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Dropped my e92 335i for IPOD adapter install, now the TCU has to be changed

02-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
Barat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Dropped my e92 335i for IPOD adapter install, now the TCU has to be changed

I dropped my e92 335i yesterday morning for an ipod adaptor install (without cd changer) that should have taken a couple of hours to install and program...Yesterday evening the service advisor told me that it should be ready this morning and today the story changes and he says that I'll have to wait until tomorrow for a new TCU!!! WTF? Is this normal for an ipod install? frying the TCU?
I'm just hopping the car will be ready tomorrow. I hope it's not gonna be a month ordeal just like the guy who went to install his alarm.

Did anyone have an ipod adaptor installed on an e92 335i and how did it go? I'm starting to regret this.

any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Had problems when my alarm was installed too, and they had the car for three days. Had a 7 Series loaner though, so didn't really care.

The software updates can sometimes fry the TCU, it happens. I hope your dealer has given you a good loaner.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barat View Post
I dropped my e92 335i yesterday morning for an ipod adaptor install (without cd changer) that should have taken a couple of hours to install and program...Yesterday evening the service advisor told me that it should be ready this morning and today the story changes and he says that I'll have to wait until tomorrow for a new TCU!!! WTF? Is this normal for an ipod install? frying the TCU?
I'm just hopping the car will be ready tomorrow. I hope it's not gonna be a month ordeal just like the guy who went to install his alarm.

Did anyone have an ipod adaptor installed on an e92 335i and how did it go? I'm starting to regret this.

I'm installing mine at Canbec in Montreal tomorrow.
Please tell me yours wasn't done there...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Barat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou View Post
I'm installing mine at Canbec in Montreal tomorrow.
Please tell me yours wasn't done there...
you got it. and I have a nice POS SENTRA instead of my 335.

good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
IndianPoweredE90
Loner in 909
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan 6MT Blk/Blk

Quote:

good luck
what the hell BMW dealership gives out a Nissan instead of a BMW for a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

probably didnt buy it from that dealer thats why.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianPoweredE90 View Post
what the hell BMW dealership gives out a Nissan instead of a BMW for a loaner.

I have gotten quite a few loaners, and only one has been a BMW.

Just be happy you have a car to get you around. The dealerships dont have to give you anything, and they are paying to put you up in something to get around.

To the OP... It seems like something went wrong with your car, and the dealership is doing whats necessary to make it right. Yes, it stinks that the problem occurred. But the dealership is probably doing the best they can to fix it. No need to complain...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
Dollar Bill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Following my IPOD install I had a few minor issues:
RFT fault, dealer told me to reset it drive home and it should clear. This did not work, had to make a return trip the next day.
Also, had a sunroof pinch fault which they fixed the next day.
I’m not so sure that the IPOD adapter is performing all of its functions. But that would be a much longer story……….

Retired
07-335, 04-325, 98-323ci, 80-320i, 79-635CSI
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
jetjock25
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Getting mine out in tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #10
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
BMW Programming is.... special.

It's very inconsistent, and has a problem 8/10 times. It's not the dealer screwing up, it's just the nature of the software update. Things get fried. =(

Bummer man. Don't hold it against your dealer, they didn't cause it, and they're doing the best they can to fix it. There is a worldwide shortage of TCU's right now.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
King335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 CP 6MT, '13 X1 35i

I had an iPod adapter installed, and nothing went awry

2007 E92 335i--SG, Fully loaded, minus the dead weight..err..iDrive and Active Steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:

good luck

Chill man...I had to bring in my 328xi for a oil level sensor replacement...when I called to make an appointment, they told me they have a toyota camry loaner car for that day!
I'm like %(#@& that, what about next week...volia a 328xi loaner...yeah I'll have that appointment!

As I got in the loaner car a few days ago, I spotted the toyota camry loaner car in front of me...haha

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #13
335i Ecstasy
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Ipod Adaptor

I am going to install the Ipod adaptor myself…Here is my plan, but first I have devised it based on the following evidence of success. My good friend has a 650I that came with the 6 disc changer (included the CD prep in the software). He purchased the Ipod Adaptor from European Auto Source (factory BMW part for just under $300). He removed the 6 disc changer, plugged in the adaptor and Ipod and the car recognized it immediately. It works perfectly….

Here is my plan… I have his CD changer that plugs right in to the MOST Bus link in the trunk. I have made an appointment with the dealer to flash my memory to include the CD Changer software in my system (they do need the changer to do this). Once the car sees the Changer, I should be able to simply plug the Ipod adaptor in place of the CD Changer and it should automatically see the Adaptor. I purchased the ipod interface for MOST bus Vehicle – e90 – from European Auto Source (europeanautosource.com)

The way that the adaptor works is to trick the system into thinking it is actually a CD Changer. It functions under the multiple disc menu of the audio display. I am installing the module and subsequently the Ipod itself in the trunk where the CD Changer would normally go. I do not need direct access of the Ipod while driving so I don’t care where it sits in the car.

All of this will cost me the memory flash from the dealer $125.00 and the cost of the module from EAS $309.00.

I am hoping that this will work as the actual installation instructions from EAS have you pull the dash apart (glove box, stereo and Nav to install it) If it works to install it in the trunk, I will post the details…If I need to install it in the dash, I will and will include photos of the process and details that the installation diagram fails to cover. Based on my first review of the instructions they leave out many of the details.

If anyone has already performed this install (in dash) please let me know as this will be my first time installing and it would be helpful if the in dash route is necessary.
      02-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #14
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i 4dr Sport+Premium+Nav

Uh oh!!! My car had a problem after they installed the alarm and reprogrammed. It was NOT pretty!!! I heard that similar problems could happen when reprogramming after iPod and Sat Radio installs.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42340

Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #15
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Don't bother getting it programmed for the CDChanger, just plug in the Ipod and have them program for IPod retrofit instead! =) should work perfectly at that point, and you'll just leave that thing in the trunk.

Only ONE flaw in your theory.

That most plug in your trunk... it's not connected to the MOST ring right now. It's just the leads. You'll have to remove the backrest of the back seat (or at least the driver's side bolster if you have folding seats) and rearrange the MOST cables to include that lead in the system.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #16
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

By the way, my ipod adaptor was installed this week, and there have been absolutely no problems with either idrive or my ipod system...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 10:52 PM   #17
Barat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4iscool View Post
probably didnt buy it from that dealer thats why.
Yes I did but in Quebec (and in Canada in general I guess) the dealers don't have to give you a bmw (but BMW Canada will enforce that soon).

BTW my dad who is a bit obssessed with his M6 bought the equipment to program the software himslef (and got a membership with bmw to be able to get the software through the internet), and apparently while discussing that on the m5/m6 board was told privately by a german BMW eng. that it is really not recommended because, even though BMW doesn't say it publicly, 20 to 30 % of all software updates end up frying some sort of H/W in the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #18
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Quote:

good luck
Oh fu....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm shitting bricks right now.
I have been waiting for my car 4 months and i'm picking it up friday at noon.
They are getting the car in tomorrow from the CN and it's going strait into the shop for the Ipod Most install including other things.
If they mess something up i will flip!!!! These next 36 hours are going to be hell so i don't even want to think about waiting another minute past noon friday.
I sincerly hope that nothing happens...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 06:55 AM   #19
hunt55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:

The dealer may not be shooting you the sh*%. My TCU had to be replaced when BMW was working on the Bluetooth issues in the 06 325i after trying to reprogram the car. Took an extra day in the shop. My iPod adapter was installed in the E90 a month ago and they had to reprogram the car. No issues.
Appreciate 0