Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Stripped hole in hub

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
mister wiggles
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Unhappy Stripped hole in hub

Whilst putting my wheel back on, i think i managed to force a lug bolt into the hole at an angle. I suspect the threading inside one of the holes where the wheel mounts is stripped. Is there any way to fix the threading or alternative besides chaning out the hug? I have 4 out of 5 lugs holding my wheel down.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

look for a "tap and die" tool. you might be able to re-cut the threads and save it, depending on how far you cross threaded the bolt. Make sure you get the right size and thread pitch before you do it though. If you can fix it, it might not hurt to get a slightly longer lug bolt for that one hole also.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
mister wiggles
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

is this tool sold at auto stores or home depot?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister wiggles View Post
is this tool sold at auto stores or home depot?
I would bring your car to a competent mechanic. Most would have these tools and know how to use them... Also you might try calling around machine shops, as they would DEF have these tools and may only charge you a nominal fee to attempt to repair your threads.

I wouldn't try buying the tools and doing it yourself because you would really mess it up more if you have never done this before.
Appreciate 0