E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Random stall/miss with occasional die. No codes.

02-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
Jalittle3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Random stall/miss with occasional die. No codes.

I have a 2006 325i that just turned 100k. Here is what I did:

Changed engine oil and filter along with transmission oil and filter (pan). Restarted car, which then died several times while idling in P. After it finally ran long enough to top off transmission at temperature and shift through the gears (while at a stop), I reset service timers and changed spark plugs. Car ran fine for 5 days with no issues. Now, it will stall and die or stall or almost die intermittently when warm, does not seem to have any issues until at temperature. No codes. Seems to do it more often when at a stop in D. Wanting to to throw a code, but none so far. When it doesn’t die, it seems to “miss” and then jump to about 1200rpm before settling back to idle. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
Jalittle3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Update code P1017 and overheat?

Update. The problem is getting more frequent. I briefly was able to pull a P1017 code (eccentric shaft sensor) before it went away. Also, it flashed an overheat symbol for about 3/4 mile before that went away as well. I have entered the Key code to run the thermometer in dash and cannot get it over 103C, so i think the overheat was random. Eccentric shaft sensor does not have oil in the connection. The replacement is doable, but i dont want to chase parts if there might be something else to look at first.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #3
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
When last have you cleaned and swapped the Vanos solenoids around? And it might also be worth pulling and inspecting (cleaning) the check valves for the solenoids. I think lack of oil in the ESS connector doesn't necessarily mean that all is well. There could be an internal leak and an intermittent short, or based on age, the sensor could just be failing. From all my reading up over the years, the symptoms you describe are typical of a failing sensor. But I agree, to replace a costly part like that without more reason to is a bit of a stretch. As for the coolant temperature issue, how old is the water pump and thermostat on your car? Unfortunately they tend to become prone to fail at around this sort of mileage, sooner in some cases even. So I would definitely keep an eye on the hidden menu temp to see if it is acting up.

Appreciate 0