E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Best way to identify hard to diagnose problem?

11-01-2015, 01:22 AM   #1
littlehuman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5

Best way to identify hard to diagnose problem?

So I'm having this hard to diagnose problem (I think) since last week.

My car was shaking/vibrating like a tank at idle last week. I had to turn off the engine and start it again to get home.

I took it to an indy shop and they spent a day to diagnose it, but they could not find the cause on the 1st day. On the next day, they asked me to pick up my car and keep driving it until it comes back. Right after I left their shop, it came back and it was worse than before.

The shop owner asked his friend (he told me that his friend is a formal bmw service center manager) to come over to his shop and take a look at my car. I was told that I have to replace vonos and it would cost $1,800.

He also asked me to take my car to a dealer if I wanted to get a 2nd opinion. So I picked up my car and drove home. I took the car to another indy shop and left it day overnight. They could not figure out the issue either. They asked me to keep driving it until "engine light soon" light comes on. Well, this issue didn't give me the light when I had it for the first time.

I can drive the car, but it's still acting funny time to time. I feel really insecure when I drive it.

What should I do now?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

What's the mileage?

Have you done any of the following?
Replaced coils?
Replaced spark plugs?