E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Software/firmware upgrade not under warranty?

06-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Software/firmware upgrade not under warranty?

My iDrive locked up a couple of times recently and the only way to reset it was to pull the battery connection. I took it into the dealer today who reset the fault codes. They said their next step would be to update the software. As I know I'm on fairly new software anyway I'm not sure it would make much difference.

They also said that updating the software wouldn't be covered by warranty. Is this correct for an AUC under its 1 year used warranty?
      06-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Paul - View Post
My iDrive locked up a couple of times recently and the only way to reset it was to pull the battery connection. I took it into the dealer today who reset the fault codes. They said their next step would be to update the software. As I know I'm on fairly new software anyway I'm not sure it would make much difference.

They also said that updating the software wouldn't be covered by warranty. Is this correct for an AUC under its 1 year used warranty?
That's incorrect information regarding the warranty. Your car is covered under BMW AUC, and that includes any programming updates that are required as a result of parts failing. The fact your iDrive is locking up is a bit strange - the version of software you have is not by any means the very latest as there have been several iterations since then, but that version of software is known to be very stable.

It may be that there are a few updates that can be done, so I suggest that if the iDrive keeps locking up, you get it back into the dealer and they do the software upgrade FOC under the terms of the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I agree! If the software update is needed to repair a fault then it should be done foc under warranty. However if you visited the dealer and asked for the latest software to be installed, then I would expect a charge for this.

If you have no luck try another dealer or call BMW themselves.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Paul - View Post
Should be under warranty. From the BMW Website:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/owner/ser...4ubmV0,00.html

Quote:
What is covered by the BMW Warranty?

The BMW Approved Used Car Warranty covers all factory fitted mechanical and electrical components. In fact, the BMW Approved Used Car Warranty is so comprehensive, so close to our New Car Warranty, we thought it more helpful to list those few items it does not cover - rather than all those that it does.

Quote:
The only items not covered by the comprehensive BMW Approved Used Car Warranty are:

Brake and clutch facings, discs and drums, bulbs and fuses, channels and guides, weather strips and seals, handles, hinges and check straps, trim, upholstery and cosmetic finishes, wheels and tyres, wiper blades and arms, glass, auxiliary drive belts, coolant and fuel hoses, the cleaning and adjustment of any component and all service items or items that will require periodic replacement. This BMW Approved Used Car warranty does not cover corrosion.
Can't see anything that justifies BMW charging you to fix something caused by their defective software.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Got mine FOC after a new part was fitted. If an update is needed to fix the problem it should be under warranty imo.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Thanks guys - Esp Simon - nice to go in with some backup.
      06-16-2010, 05:09 AM   #7
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
I had my iDrive software updated last week under warranty.
Unfortunately the bugs still remain but at least they did it FOC. Took them 2 days though........can't be that hard can it?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Took them a while on mine too. They bricked it so had to get BMW involved....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0