E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > So confused on which tuning route to go.

02-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
jsaps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive LCI MSport Coupe

So confused on which tuning route to go.

So I have my 2013 e92 n55 335i xdrive arriving sometime the end of this month and I'm trying to figure out wut is the best route to go with in the engine/Ecu management category.

I've heard things of a "black box" where codes and boost levels are recorded and can potentially compromise warranty.

I do understand the risk in modifying a car and the issues that can come from it.

If anyone can help using their experience with tuning or point me in the correct path to decide on what I should invest in.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

OEM Performance Power Kit is a good option and keeps the warranty fully intact. 320hp/332tq and available online from $450. Great value for money. I have it and I love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
F335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Coupe 6AT

Get the best tune to your liking, if you need to use the warranty just take it off and that's it.
      02-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
jsaps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja
OEM Performance Power Kit is a good option and keeps the warranty fully intact. 320hp/332tq and available online from $450. Great value for money. I have it and I love it.
Thanx for the info! Honestly didn't even know there was an option like that. Gonna look into it asap. Have you had your car on a dyno? If you don't mind me asking wut supporting mods do you have for it?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
jsaps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F335i
Get the best tune to your liking, if you need to use the warranty just take it off and that's it.
That's wut I was thinking but have seen things involving a black box where BMW can see your boost spikes and how many times you Ecu has been flashed and things of that nature. That's my only worry.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
fasteddie222
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 and x1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaps View Post
That's wut I was thinking but have seen things involving a black box where BMW can see your boost spikes and how many times you Ecu has been flashed and things of that nature. That's my only worry.
I've never heard of this. I have my car fully modded and I have never had a problem with warranty. I just take it to the right people.
      02-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
jsaps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I've never heard of this. I have my car fully modded and I have never had a problem with warranty. I just take it to the right people.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok maybe it's a myth lol but thanx for the help.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #8
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanx for the info! Honestly didn't even know there was an option like that. Gonna look into it asap. Have you had your car on a dyno? If you don't mind me asking wut supporting mods do you have for it?
My only other modification is an upgraded chargepipe--the stock plastic piece is notorious for developing leaks. I have not dyno'd but most PPK cars put down about 300 to the wheels or about 350 crank. I had plans to eventually get an aftermarket tune (waited forever for the Cobb to come out for the N55), downpipe, intercooler and so on but I have sort of backed away from that idea. My car has lots of warranty left, CPO after that and the extended factory maintenance package and I'm not eager to screw with that just to gain a little more power. A 335i with the Power Kit hits that sweet spot in terms of power, drivability and affordability for me. I like the refinement built into this powertrain and have come to realize that pushing this car into that 400+ horsepower level will bring too many things I don't want in exchange for some power that I use once a week. I still may modify the car but it is much more likely to be the driveline (limited slip differential) and suspension (OEM M3 bits).
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie222 View Post
I've never heard of this. I have my car fully modded and I have never had a problem with warranty. I just take it to the right people.
Sorry, but the 'take it to the right people' thing is false info to be spreading.

Most places do not have people willing to over look mods. You are just lucky where you are.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
jsaps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja
Quote:
My only other modification is an upgraded chargepipe--the stock plastic piece is notorious for developing leaks. I have not dyno'd but most PPK cars put down about 300 to the wheels or about 350 crank. I had plans to eventually get an aftermarket tune (waited forever for the Cobb to come out for the N55), downpipe, intercooler and so on but I have sort of backed away from that idea. My car has lots of warranty left, CPO after that and the extended factory maintenance package and I'm not eager to screw with that just to gain a little more power. A 335i with the Power Kit hits that sweet spot in terms of power, drivability and affordability for me. I like the refinement built into this powertrain and have come to realize that pushing this car into that 400+ horsepower level will bring too many things I don't want in exchange for some power that I use once a week. I still may modify the car but it is much more likely to be the driveline (limited slip differential) and suspension (OEM M3 bits).
Sounds pretty good...the Cobb is out finally without the mapping so far but it's so steep at over $800 just to go out and have it pro tuned. But the power increase is so much more aggressive than the oem kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #11
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep

Agreed, PPK can't hold a candle to Cobb, JB4, etc in terms of sheer power. In terms of refinement it would be hard to beat though. Just decide where you want to go with the car and build it up accordingly. I travel quite a bit and wanted the peace of mind that comes with a BMW warranty good at any dealer, any day for any reason. There is quite a bit of misinformation circulating about these aftermarket tunes, be they piggybacks or flashes. The dealership diagnostic equipment can see precisely how often and when your car has been flashed and can see if certain parameters have been exceeded. They can see if you have been tuned regardless if the tune is still present.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
ForgedDistributing
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO N55 >:)

JB4 N55 Stg 2

PH: (616) 914-6677 FAX: (305) 255-5446
Contact me for exclusive forum and wholesale pricing!
Email: Sean@Forgeddistributing.com
Site: http://www.forgeddistributing.com/
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
fasteddie222
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbell77 View Post
Sorry, but the 'take it to the right people' thing is false info to be spreading.

Most places do not have people willing to over look mods. You are just lucky where you are.
Well I've taken my car to 3 different dealerships and I've never had a problem because of the advisors I choose maybe the advisors in Florida are more lenient I guess.
      02-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
Matts435coupe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Coupe Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F335i View Post
Why does everyone say if you get a tune you lose your warranty? You just need to find a mod friendly service department. I usually bring my car in and turn the jb to stock. One time I forgot and called my service adviser and he did it for me. I had a noise coming from under the car and he had them check and apparantely when I had my downpipe installed the installer didn't tighten some screws and they took the liberty of tightening them for me at BMW. it is all about a mod friendly dealership.
2010 BMW 335i coupe( Sold)
2009 BMW 335i coupe ( Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie222 View Post
Well I've taken my car to 3 different dealerships and I've never had a problem because of the advisors I choose maybe the advisors in Florida are more lenient I guess.
Modding your car voids warranty, period. The vast majority of SA's will not let it slide.

What warranty work have you had done that they let it slide three different times?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
fasteddie222
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbell77 View Post
Modding your car voids warranty, period. The vast majority of SA's will not let it slide.

What warranty work have you had done that they let it slide three different times?
You live in Ohio and I live in Florida like I said maybe it's different and yes I know they void warranties if your modded. I have gotten minor warranty things done like rattling and stuff and I have a lot of mods in my car. I have gotten my friends replaced turbos even with them having mods in their cars. Like I said I know the right people and I have helped out other forum members that live in florida with warranty work.
      02-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #17
jsaps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I need to find a local service spot that's mod friendly. Aside from warranty work wut about the maintenance? I'm sure they don't care abt mods for maintenance work right?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #18
SRT14PimPin07
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: X5

Actually guys, the black box is true! All of our cars have it. It's a hidden "something" that records your boost lvls. When my N54 335i went in the dealer and didn't come out for 2 months, my SA kept asking me if I had any kind of a tune on the car. "luckily I really didn't" And before they declared my car to be a lemon, someone from out of state flew in and checked my blackbox. And the boost lvls were all stock. So they lemoned the car.

Now if I had a tune and they found out, I don't know what would have happened at that point....

BUT only in this extreme case they will check your black box. Not everyone can check it, someone from BMW corporate had to come and check it out. So if you have a tune, and nothing crazy bad happens like what happened to my car.....I think you'll be fine.
      02-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT14PimPin07 View Post
Actually guys, the black box is true! All of our cars have it. It's a hidden "something" that records your boost lvls. When my N54 335i went in the dealer and didn't come out for 2 months, my SA kept asking me if I had any kind of a tune on the car. "luckily I really didn't" And before they declared my car to be a lemon, someone from out of state flew in and checked my blackbox. And the boost lvls were all stock. So they lemoned the car.

Now if I had a tune and they found out, I don't know what would have happened at that point....

BUT only in this extreme case they will check your black box. Not everyone can check it, someone from BMW corporate had to come and check it out. So if you have a tune, and nothing crazy bad happens like what happened to my car.....I think you'll be fine.
With a piggyback like the JB4 the DME only sees factory boost levels, so nothing incriminating can be recorded. Other than vehicle speed.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
jsaps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

With a piggyback like the JB4 the DME only sees factory boost levels, so nothing incriminating can be recorded. Other than vehicle speed.

Mike[/QUOTE]

So basically with a JB setup the only way they can actually have a leg to stand on in voiding a warranty is your top speeds? Is that a valid conclusion to void a warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:

Mike

So basically with a JB setup the only way they can actually have a leg to stand on in voiding a warranty is your top speeds? Is that a valid conclusion to void a warranty?[/QUOTE]

A dealer can deny coverage on something if they can show the failure is the result of some modification like a tuner box, air filter, etc. I've heard of BMW denying warranty for something as simple as aftermarket tires or rims. But generally speaking if you remove the the piggyback then they won't find a trace of it after the fact. That is one of the big advantages of a piggyback vs. a flash tune where fault codes, etc, store true load values.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #22
jsaps
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanx for the info! Gotta decide on which way to go...was leaning towards the Cobb AP because its a feet power gain compared to the JB4...am I correct? Or am I mislead.
Appreciate 0