E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > reset brake pad light worked... but then failed???

04-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
phoenixfire
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Black Sapphire Sport

reset brake pad light worked... but then failed???

So after owning the car for a month the service brake pad light came on for the front pads?? Weird, no, but seeing as the pads are in excelent shape, yes. So i went to reset it on my own but after going through the procedure, and having the car reset itself numerous times, the front pad light says 0000 miles and then the red service light comes on???? Very odd, please help!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

So you need to understand the lights. There are two lights regarding brake pad service. One light (yellow) is the interval to the next brake inspection. The other light is when the brake wear pad sensor activates the (red) pad replacement indicator. There is no sensor in the brake system that indicates how much pad material is left. The system only monitors when the pads reach minimum thickness and need replacement. There is a consumable plastic brake pad wear sensor in the front left brake and rear right brake that contains a wire loop. Once the sensor wears enough by contacting the rotor, it will break the wire loop and trigger the pad replacement indicator.

It sounds like one of the brakes is worn to the point the sensor has triggered the light and it will not let you reset the inspection light. You've probably looked at the pads and think they are okay when they are in fact, worn. Did you check both the front and rear brakes? Did you chack if there is a sensor in the left front and right rear? If it is missing it would trigger the light. It sounds like you bought the car used, so depending on mileage you could need new brakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
phoenixfire
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Black Sapphire Sport

thanks for the tips i'll look into it asap !
Appreciate 0