E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Got rear-ended today!!!

05-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
jfarnkopf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Got rear-ended today!!!

Im stopped at a red traffic signal and the a-hole behind me comes to a stop, pretty close to my rear bumper. As the light turn green, he rolls forward and taps my rear-end. I had a couple good scratches to the bumper and my drivers side tail pipe is pushed down a bit. I did an accident report and called my insurance company...
Now heres the tricky part. Ive always wanted a mtech bumper and im trying to work a deal to get one. The damage to my car was pretty light but it still has to be sanded out and painted. Also i will need my tail pipe re-alligned and muffler checked out. I was thinking of asking a local dealer (possibly JMK) for an estimate and then ask to them to paint and install a mtech rear bumper (which i would purchase) and check the tail pipe (getting bastuck exhaust anyway). I would also give them my old bumper if we could work out a decent deal. so technically the dealer would be doing less work and making more money.
i havent really had much contact with dealers and im not sure how much the can bend the rules when it comes to insurance companies? any help with be usefull...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
shocka1212
Philanthropist
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarnkopf View Post
Im stopped at a red traffic signal and the a-hole behind me comes to a stop, pretty close to my rear bumper. As the light turn green, he rolls forward and taps my rear-end. I had a couple good scratches to the bumper and my drivers side tail pipe is pushed down a bit. I did an accident report and called my insurance company...
Now heres the tricky part. Ive always wanted a mtech bumper and im trying to work a deal to get one. The damage to my car was pretty light but it still has to be sanded out and painted. Also i will need my tail pipe re-alligned and muffler checked out. I was thinking of asking a local dealer (possibly JMK) for an estimate and then ask to them to paint and install a mtech rear bumper (which i would purchase) and check the tail pipe (getting bastuck exhaust anyway). I would also give them my old bumper if we could work out a decent deal. so technically the dealer would be doing less work and making more money.
i havent really had much contact with dealers and im not sure how much the can bend the rules when it comes to insurance companies? any help with be usefull...
where was the accident? i saw someone get rear-ended today

The 2011 3-Series coupe offering the infamous "Harmon Kardon Badging"
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

sorry to hear man....
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
kjrulz
Mastermind
Rep
Drives: girls krazy

can you show me where you would get your mtech bumper? bc i was thinking the same after my turmoil
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

damn that sucks, your car was so perfect on saturday! go for the m-tech it makes a huge difference
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
pilipnoi
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Sedan

I got rear-ended back in January, just cosmetic damage to the bumper, however the entire rear bumper needed to be replaced. I talked to my CA over at JMK and he was able to talk to their parts department and was able to get me my M-Tech bumper. The people at the body shop were able to work everything out with the insurance company (AllState). So basically their parts department/body shop ordered the bumper for me, painted it, etc. and put it on. Came out great.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
jfarnkopf
Private First Class
Rep

accident

the accident happened in lakewood, nj. the part that really sucks is that i waxed my car on sunday and on monday went to autozone to buy a towel to get the pollen off. i left there and drove on lanes mill road and stopped for a red light at county line road. while i was stopped a county worker was mowing the grass next to me with a huge mower. i heard a noise and thought that the mower had ran over something. i never felt my car move and didnt realize that the noise was an old guy rolling into me. ofcourse he didnt flag me down but he might not of realized that he hit me. i drove home and realized that my tail pipes didnt look right and figured out what happened.
thank god, my deductible is only $200 or i would be really pissed..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
shocka1212
Philanthropist
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
the accident happened in lakewood, nj. the part that really sucks is that i waxed my car on sunday and on monday went to autozone to buy a towel to get the pollen off. i left there and drove on lanes mill road and stopped for a red light at county line road. while i was stopped a county worker was mowing the grass next to me with a huge mower. i heard a noise and thought that the mower had ran over something. i never felt my car move and didnt realize that the noise was an old guy rolling into me. ofcourse he didnt flag me down but he might not of realized that he hit me. i drove home and realized that my tail pipes didnt look right and figured out what happened.
thank god, my deductible is only $200 or i would be really pissed..
my aunt lives in lakewood. i deal with insurance companies on a daily basis and a word of advice would be that if the damage is not that much, its not really worth putting a claim in because even though your deductible is relatively low, your premium will get raised even though it wasnt your fault.

The 2011 3-Series coupe offering the infamous "Harmon Kardon Badging"
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
rkick08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

people cant drive!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
It's perfectly do-able. Something similar happened to me a few months ago. Went to the JMK body shop and worked it out with them and the insurance. I just paid the difference and got the aero rear instead of OEM. Very happy with their service and the result
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
jfarnkopf
Private First Class
Rep

rear-ended

some good news. i went to jmk today and their going to replace the back bumper. i asked about installing the mtech instead of the stock bumper and the said no problem. now i just have to see how much the difference in price is...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #12
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

Niooocceee!!!
Quote:
some good news. i went to jmk today and their going to replace the back bumper. i asked about installing the mtech instead of the stock bumper and the said no problem. now i just have to see how much the difference in price is...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #13
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
should be about $300 extra, congrats.

aero & mtech price was same when I did mine a few months ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #14
jfarnkopf
Private First Class
Rep

ok, prior to going into jmk body shop, i checked out the parts counter and asked for the price of the stock bumper vs. the m aero bumper. it looks like the part number for the stock bumper is 51-12-7-141-053 and the price they gave is: cost 279.74, list 466.23, and trade 550.15. the m aero looks like part number 51-12-7-906-501 with a cost of 335.35, list 558.92 and trade 659.53. it looks like the difference is around $100, so why did you have to pay $300? i would think that the paint and install would be the same as a stock bumper? any idea?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #15
jfarnkopf
Private First Class
Rep

rear-ended

well, that didnt go as planned. after going to jmk to get an estimate on thursday and not getting a call back at all, thats with leaving a message every day too. i finally called and spoke to the body shop manager. He seemed like a decent guy but quoted me $500 bucks for the m bumper. So, that combined with my $200 deductible would make it $700 plus tax for just the bumper. Im hoping that he quoted me the price for the mtech bumper instead of the m aero bumper. gonna try to get to paul miller to get an estimate there tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #16
Wik3d_MR
Rep
Drives: 08 Mitsu Evolution X MR

damn that sucks sorry to hear.
Appreciate 0