E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Need to do a wash/clay/polish/wax + Dr. Colourchip

08-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
e9012345
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Need to do a wash/clay/polish/wax + Dr. Colourchip

As the title states - my paint is pretty terrible on my black 325. On top of that I've noticed some scuff marks as well as some light dings and chips.

I've never detailed my car more than a handwash before.. so I am willing to perhaps give it a shot in a few weeks and do it right.. but I have a bunch of questions.

For the Interior: Whats the best product for leatherette?

Exterior: At which stage should I apply the Dr. Colourchip.. this is my order - wash/clay/dry/polish/colourchip/wax

Also, would anyone recommend that cheap CanTire Simoniz orbital polisher/waxer tool or is it best to do this by hand?

Please correct me if I'm wrong with anything here..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

303 Aerospace

Post in ask a detailer thread?

I can recommend Opti Coat paint sealant...made my swirls absolutely disappear.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
Bmwe90sg
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

okay my man here it is. I love detailing and every time u detail your car you learn more and get more products.

1- wash car with a meguiars car wash (NXT or Gold Class)

2- clay car with something like (Meguiars clay kit. comes with 2 clays, lube and 2 microfiber towels) you can make ur own lube by mixing car wash with water in a spray bottle.

3- purchase a DA machine like the meguiars G110v2 i think its called $140 on amazon.thats what i like to use. Get some pads like the 7" 2.0 pad (cut, polish, finishing pad)

4- use pads with Menzerna polishes. They have a 250ml staring pack. comes with 3 types. a cutting, polishing and finishing polish.

5- after cutting the paint with cutting pad (red pad) and polish, wash to get rid of all the dust and polish residue ,then polish with the soft buff pad (yellow pad) with menzerna polish and finish with finishing pad and finishing polish.

6- again wash the car and you will see rainbow colors in the water. they are all the oils and polish excess being removed.

7- seal the paint with something like menzerna power lock or autoglym sealant. (hand apply or with finishing pad

8- put a nice wax over the sealant NEVER WAX THEN SEAL. ONLY SEAL THEN WAX or the seal won't hold on to the wax. keep the wax coat and sealant very thin. A good wax is the meguiars liquid gold class wax.

9-should be one clean wheels with a non acid cleaner like sonar and dress tires with a good dressing. thats all i can think of now. meant to be studying for my anatomy exam if you need help please PM me.

enjoy
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
Bmwe90sg
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

forget hand. it won't get you the results you want especially with bmw clear coat
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Wingman335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92

For your interior, you can use 303 Carpet/Upholstery cleaner. You can also use any leather cleaning products as well.

Exterior, perform your wash, clay, polish, and then apply Dr. Colorchip. Wax your car, except leave the wax off the areas you treated with Colorchip. It needs about 3 days to cure before you can wax those areas.

Polishing by hand to remove swirls is very time consuming. Popular choice is to get a Porter Cable 7424 polisher and use it to buff out the swirls.

You can use a glaze to cover up the minor swirls until the next wash, if you want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9012345 View Post
As the title states - my paint is pretty terrible on my black 325. On top of that I've noticed some scuff marks as well as some light dings and chips.

I've never detailed my car more than a handwash before.. so I am willing to perhaps give it a shot in a few weeks and do it right.. but I have a bunch of questions.

For the Interior: Whats the best product for leatherette?

Exterior: At which stage should I apply the Dr. Colourchip.. this is my order - wash/clay/dry/polish/colourchip/wax

Also, would anyone recommend that cheap CanTire Simoniz orbital polisher/waxer tool or is it best to do this by hand?

Please correct me if I'm wrong with anything here..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

I'll outline some of my favorite products for these steps. We offer 10% off with the code e90post, or free shipping on orders over DIFREE.

Wash and Dry
Most swirls come from this process so be sure to use good technique and quality products. If you need to upgrade your products check out these kits:
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay Bar
Helps deep clean the paint.
DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube

Polish
This is the step where you actually remove the swirls for good and restore that like new shine again! A buffer is a huge help here as it can more thoroughly work in the polish and really get maximum results. If interested in picking up one the Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer is a completely safe and easy to use tool that will greatly improve your results. I'd recommend a two step polishing combination to really make the paint pop!
Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 - Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad 2x
Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 - Lake Country White Polishing Pad 2x

If you are not interested in a buffer or if it's not within your budget then just pick up the M205 listed above and apply that by hand with a foam applicator and medium pressure. Please don't pick up a cheap buffer because their pads/bonnets are not often good on the paint and the power is not enough to work the polish in.

Sealant
Protect the shine and enhance it!
Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad 1x

Interior
303 Cleaner & Spot Remover is what I use on the carpets and vinyl throughout. For the leatherette and leather surfaces I love the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil combo. It can be used on brand new seats and neglected seats, the only difference is the older seats may just need a bit more product.

Hand remove all of these products with CLEAN microfiber towels. I highly recommend picking up about 5x - 10x DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel.

If you have any questions please check out our detailing guide or ask me I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0