E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > LOGIC7.. Finally, Optimal EQ Settings for E90, E92

09-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #287
Jesus805
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 2009 e90

I have an 09 e90
For my car doesn't pop those settings just bass and treble??
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #288
eNineZero
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus805 View Post
I have an 09 e90
For my car doesn't pop those settings just bass and treble??
Try scrolling to the right, there should be an "EQ SET" menu. If you don't have it, your car does not have the Harmon Kardon Logic7 Audio.
      10-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #289
Jesus805
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 2009 e90

Humm I though I did even if I have the 12 speakers
Yeah just the treble bass balance and fader show
I even have a Jl audio 4 channel powering and sound good
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #290
fsdks
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive Sports Wagon

2011 E91 w/ iDrive. Used the E90 settings and it sounds great. Thanks!
Old: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i (hers), 2016 BMW X5 xDrive40e (hers), 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD, 2008 Subaru Outback AWD, 2001 Dodge Dakota 4WD, 2000 VW Golf, 1991 Dodge Ramcharger 4WD, 1988 Mercury Topaz AWD, and 1987 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #291
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek@MRF View Post
Yes, I the TREB and BASS settings are "user definable" basically. You can adjust those to your liking. Usually people that crank their music higher will need to lower the TREB and BASS settings to prevent overbearing highs and lows, and most importantly, minimize distortion.

Often times I see people with BASS on +10, cranking it all up, speakers distorting like crazy, and they have the audacity to say "that sh** sounds dope huh?!!?!"
Can the E90 settings be used in a E60 with logic 7 with pre 2009 I drive aswell?
I would assume the settings would be close?
      01-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #292
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Can anyone tell me the settings for a 2007 idrive? The older one. I dont have all those other fancy settings.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #293
BimmerSTP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 328i xDrive Arctic Metallic

Cool post but coming from someone who has studied audio (both analog and digital) EQing is all personal preference. You are essentially selecting frequency ranges to be more or less appealing to your own liking. Someone who likes Bass will want to crank up the lower frequencies (for Dubstep or hip hop for example) and someone who likes treble or detail ranges will want to crank up higher frequency ranges (for classical or jazz for example). I will say there is a "crunchy" range of frequencies between 800-1K Hz that commonly sounds poor to the majority of humans. Typically bumping down these frequencies will open up the audio horizon to more pleasing frequencies and make music as a whole more enjoyable. Great post!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #294
say_oh_shin
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSTP View Post
Cool post but coming from someone who has studied audio (both analog and digital) EQing is all personal preference. You are essentially selecting frequency ranges to be more or less appealing to your own liking. Someone who likes Bass will want to crank up the lower frequencies (for Dubstep or hip hop for example) and someone who likes treble or detail ranges will want to crank up higher frequency ranges (for classical or jazz for example). I will say there is a "crunchy" range of frequencies between 800-1K Hz that commonly sounds poor to the majority of humans. Typically bumping down these frequencies will open up the audio horizon to more pleasing frequencies and make music as a whole more enjoyable. Great post!
I'd be interested to see where you have your settings in your 328 (assuming you have HK).
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #295
BimmerSTP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 328i xDrive Arctic Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by say_oh_shin
Quote:
I'd be interested to see where you have your settings in your 328 (assuming you have HK).
If you'd like I could post my settings but like I said, EQing is mostly personal preference and will be different based on the general type of music you listen to. I use what is known as a "Happy face EQ" which bumps up high and low end frequency ranges and bumps down mid ranges. I listen to everything from electronica to classic rock to hip hop to good ol' Frank Sinatra. Since i listen to such a wide variety of music the "happy face EQ" is a happy medium of EQ for almost any genre.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #296
BMWE934me
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i E93 Alpine White

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Yesterday I installed a set of SWS-8's. I tested them with the settings that I dialed in when I first got my car. The bass did seem a slight bit better. I then set my EQ settings posted by Malek on the first page of this thread. I must admit, the sound was fuller, but I lost the punch to my bass. Tomorrow I will get the OEM tweeter to add to the front center. Of course, that won't help my bass. I do have the Technic harness and a two channel amp to boost those SWS-8Xi's.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #297
trusaleen1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335iS Coupe

Does anyone know if they settings work for the F32?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #298
sliverworm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Quote:
If you'd like I could post my settings but like I said, EQing is mostly personal preference and will be different based on the general type of music you listen to. I use what is known as a "Happy face EQ" which bumps up high and low end frequency ranges and bumps down mid ranges. I listen to everything from electronica to classic rock to hip hop to good ol' Frank Sinatra. Since i listen to such a wide variety of music the "happy face EQ" is a happy medium of EQ for almost any genre.
Please do post your settings.. I'm also interested.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #299
ikenjoku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

Garage List
2014 f13 M6  [0.00]
What settings would you recommend for a 07 335i coupe? I have the Equalizer but no nav screen. I listen to mostly artists like Gucci Mane, Drake, The Weeknd, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #300
R7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusaleen1 View Post
Does anyone know if they settings work for the F32?
Has anyone tried them in an e93 as well? How did you fare out?
      08-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #301
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Aren't the audio settings all up to personal preference/taste? Also, different kinds/types/genres of music may require different settings.

Why are we suggesting cookie cutter settings for everyone to use?

And who decided that these are the ideal settings?

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:37 AM   #302
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02
Aren't the audio settings all up to personal preference/taste? Also, different kinds/types/genres of music may require different settings.

This
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #303
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post

Old thread I know but bumping because I am fiddling with audio settings in a couple of cars.

Of course you are right about individual preferences but ideally you start from a flat acoustic reproduction spectrum. Meaning you use a signal analyzer to compare input source spectrum to sound output spectrum at typical ear location. You then adjust where possible to get that as close to equal in each band, so that reproduced sound is as close to recorded sound as possible.

This nullifies peculiarities in the audio system components and cabin, so that the sound you hear is as close to that recorded as possible. Then you adjust up or down as needed from there. With the advent of many speaker systems and lots of sound processing, plus multiple adjustment bands, sometimes this is a hopeless task.

For example, go set all your logic 7 eq settings to to zero, and turn off sound all processing. Then try adjusting only treble and bass, see how good it sounds. (I just did this) It sucks! Then set it back to these. Much better. Not perfect but close to flat. Once you are close to flat you can even just adjust treble and/or bass up or down to suit instead of messing with sub-bands. I find these settings a bit too bright high end, so I lower treble little, esp playing off the hard disk with the digital compression algorithm distortion.

This is generally what an equalizer is for, compensating for environmental and installation/equipment acoustic deviations/variations from perfect reproduction. You need high quality mics to do it though and that is often not feasible for ordinary folks. What you are measuring in engineering terms is the acoustic transfer function from input (source material) to output (sound @ listener's ear location(s)), and you want those to be flat in each band. But as a starting point only.

Last edited by ajsalida; 11-12-2014 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #304
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

I tried the setting in this post, they sounded good when the car was stationary, but where completely useless when the car was moving. Road noise tramps some of the fine tuning and makes some frequencies disappear completely with the "optimal" setting. The default of the car actually sounds better with the car in motion.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #305
Kid Red
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Old thread I know but bumping because I am fiddling with audio settings in a couple of cars.

Of course you are right about individual preferences but ideally you start from a flat acoustic reproduction spectrum. Meaning you use a signal analyzer to compare input source spectrum to sound output spectrum at typical ear location. You then adjust where possible to get that as close to equal in each band, so that reproduced sound is as close to recorded sound as possible.

This nullifies peculiarities in the audio system components and cabin, so that the sound you hear is as close to that recorded as possible. Then you adjust up or down as needed from there. With the advent of many speaker systems and lots of sound processing, plus multiple adjustment bands, sometimes this is a hopeless task.

For example, go set all your logic 7 eq settings to to zero, and turn off sound all processing. Then try adjusting only treble and bass, see how good it sounds. (I just did this) It sucks! Then set it back to these. Much better. Not perfect but close to flat. Once you are close to flat you can even just adjust treble and/or bass up or down to suit instead of messing with sub-bands. I find these settings a bit too bright high end, so I lower treble little, esp playing off the hard disk with the digital compression algorithm distortion.

This is generally what an equalizer is for, compensating for environmental and installation/equipment acoustic deviations/variations from perfect reproduction. You need high quality mics to do it though and that is often not feasible for ordinary folks. What you are measuring in engineering terms is the acoustic transfer function from input (source material) to output (sound @ listener's ear location(s)), and you want those to be flat in each band. But as a starting point only.
Any settings you can share? I have an L7 LCI e90 and I moved on from the settings originally posted here because I don't believe there were any for the newer e90s.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #306
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red View Post
Any settings you can share? I have an L7 LCI e90 and I moved on from the settings originally posted here because I don't believe there were any for the newer e90s.
Sorry, have an 09 e92 L7 idrive. I used the updated settings in the first post as baseline and then adjust only bass and treble a bit depending on the music.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #307
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Nice settings..,.

I use a Rockford fosgate Bluetooth in the lighter inside the console to Bluetooth to the radio and it sounds a lot cleaner this way.

A song like sweet emotion by Aerosmith sounds really really good at the beginning
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #308
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 328i E93

I know this is an old thread, but...it IS a sticky.

I got frustrated a while back trying to fine tune my Logic 7 system, especially after coming from a car (my old E46) that had a nearly competition-ready system in it. But, I figured "Why bother upgrading the sound system in a convertible?"

So...I've been listening to the stock system for the last 3 years, playing around with the various surround and EQ settings (including the ones recommended by the OP...which were "OK" but NOT the best for my car). Never got the sound quality anywhere near the critical listening level that I was used to in my previous ride (which took me almost a year of tuning to get just right).

BUT THEN, I made the single biggest improvement in the audio quality in my E93, and...it was quite by accident. I installed the AirEnabler to get Airplay in the car, mainly for my iPad mini install. Included in the installation was the use of the Soundblaster Xi-Go! portable DAC.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post17039128

Suddenly, the sound stage opened up and the overall sound quality was improved DRAMATICALLY. I got excited about listening to my favorite tracks - that I used to tune my old system - for the first time in over 3 years. As lame as it may sound, I used to use Madonnna's Immaculate Collection to tune the system, getting turned onto that idea by my local car audio shop. Most of her music is very precisely recorded with great stereo separation, especially "Vogue", and has lots of hard hitting bass.

With the Soundblaster (which is a CHEAP little DAC unit), the music came alive so I dove into the EQ and surround settings to tweak it. I had the settings almost right before this, but I had it on the wrong Surround mode (using Concert Hall, as the OP suggested....which required the balance be shifted significantly to the right in my car).

I have found using a DAC that the best surround mode is the THEATER setting and that the best settings are to have the basic treble and bass at FLAT (to be able to make minor corrections for different tracks and music genres) and to have the EQ set in what many call the "smiley face" configuration, bumping up the high and low end to 3 bars from max and setting the rest in a gradual concave curve. I'm still playing with the 500, 1K and 2K Hz settings but my curve looks sorta like this one (pic below) I just found by Googling "BMW Logic 7 equalizer". Now, the Balance is at center on most tracks and the Fade is 2 bars to the rear.

Anyway...it is clear to me that if someone wants to get serious about improving the sound in their stock Logic 7 system, one of the first things to do...other than dumping Bluetooth (which doesn't compare to AirPlay)...is to incorporate a DAC, which is easily done using the auxiliary input and power outlet in the center armrest console. The AirEnabler is a very cool upgrade and there are a number of DACs that can be used with it (which I am now researching).

It's great to be back in stereo upgrade mode! Looks like I'll be using some of the stuff (subs, amps, Audiocontrol units, etc.) I pulled out of my old car after all.

Name:  equalizer.jpg.jpg
Views: 4730
Size:  81.2 KB
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 12-25-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0