E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Reconsidered the tuning aspect..gonna stay stock for now...

07-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #45
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
more power will lead to higher speeds at the ends of straightaways and that will require heavier use of the brakes, that's what I was going for
True, but my original response was not directed toward you, rather the "mod HP or die crowd"
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #46
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
What I believe he meant is that those tunes are likely developed getting help/views from Bmw and thus they could be more safe.
To my opinion (if anyone is interested about it ) as long as you are pushing the car hard , it doesnt matter if its stock or upgraded to 500HP.

A really "pushing" driving will lead the car (soon or later) to mechanical issues.
Having a Hartge/Alpina modification won't make any change if you are needlessly pushing your car.

There are many ways driving fast.

There is the wrong way which is like :continously accelarating/ braking into the city, drifting ,accelarating ,decelarating on trafic lights etc etc etc

And there is also the right way that would be to stress the car as much as you want BUT leaving it to normaly to decelarate by letting the gas petal free (requires wide open roads/highways) so the revs will drop normaly and without any preassure from the drivetrain/brakes.

By continiously accelarating hard and braking (between trafic lights) the main mechanical parts of the car are stressed like ,gearbox,brakes and most importantly-> pistons. While increasing and decreasing engine's revs in seconds causes the biggest damage possible.

This car is not made for drag racing between traffic lights. Its a "speedy" cruiser.

Just my opinion....

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE

Last edited by Panoz; 07-03-2007 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #47
Carlito12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i 6MT TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
thanks for telling us, but why did you think people would care?

I, for one, care about an opinion of a valued forum member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
I considered doing procede..and Turbo Tuner...and even considered waiting for Dinan and GIAC...or even Jim Conforti. But after hearing that only Hartge and Alpina have a legitimate offering (IMHO) with help from BMW, I am gonna hold off until the dust settles. I dont want to blow an engine due to running too lean...my car is leased..and I cannot afford some $12K for a new engine if it goes. My aftermarket exhaust, suspension, wheels/tires, and LSD will have to suffice for now. That is all...Steve ..out.
I was planning on taking out the piggyback before taking it to the dealership for repair if my engine ever blew... and having a legal battle with the BMW Warranty Dept...

I guess after reading this thread, I'd better come up with plan B.

JB3 KW V2 i-Forged Senekas & ETC
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 12:23 PM   #48
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz View Post
To my opinion (if anyone is interested about it ) as long as you are pushing the car hard , it doesnt matter if its stock or upgraded to 500HP.

A really "pushing" driving will lead the car (soon or later) to mechanical issues.
Having a Hartge/Alpina modification won't make any change if you are needlessly pushing your car.

There are many ways driving fast.

There is the wrong way which is like :continously accelarating/ braking into the city, drifting ,accelarating ,decelarating on trafic lights etc etc etc

And there is also the right way that would be to stress the car as much as you want BUT leaving it to normaly decelarating by letting the revs decrease as you let the gas petal free (requires wide open roads/highways).

By continiously accelarating hard and braking (between trafic lights) the main mechanical parts of the car are stressed like ,gearbox,brakes and most importantly-> pistons. While increasing and decreasing engine's revs in seconds causes the biggest damage possible.

This car is not made for drag racing between traffic lights. Its a "speedy" cruiser.

Just my opinion....
Good posting and fully argee. The 335i is not a track car, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #49
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

I thought BMW uses the 335i for their performance driving schools?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 12:33 PM   #50
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJUSS2NASTY View Post
Wow everybody swears they are the man when it comes to cornering eh.
well he tracks and you probably dont

i would put my lunch money on s4 over you.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #51
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
So, for those reasons..plus the fact that many of the tuners are taking their time tuning the 335i, I will be holding off. Trust me guys..I have an appetite for power too. At some time I will probably have some type of tuning....just probably gonna wait another 6-9 months. I am an analytical guy by nature...I like to soak up the research and then decide what to do. I am not an early adopter on anything.
I look forward to hearing your research/thoughts/opinions.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #52
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
well he tracks and you probably dont

i would put my lunch money on s4 over you.
I would put my lunch money on S4 while in his miata over that guy in a 335
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #53
Carlito12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen.niederreiter View Post
Good posting and fully argee. The 335i is not a track car, IMO.
sorry, can't fully agree...

IMO stock 335i is not an IDEAL track car... but it is track worthy.

with a little mod, IMHO, it will hold its own on a track.

I just read an interesting article on the CAR and Driver where 335i coupe outperformed a z4-m series at the Virginia International Raceway. and put up some good numbers along the way...

Last edited by Carlito12; 07-03-2007 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #54
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
I would put my lunch money on S4 while in his miata over that guy in a 335

Sold the miata this past weekend...so I gotta get my butt working on tweaking the handling on the 335i. UPS just delivered a test fitment SSR competition wheel..with Pilot Sport Cup R compound tire. Can wait to check this out?

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 01:12 PM   #55
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sold the miata this past weekend...so I gotta get my butt working on tweaking the handling on the 335i. UPS just delivered a test fitment SSR competition wheel..with Pilot Sport Cup R compound tire. Can wait to check this out?
I run the K1s in 17x8.5 52mm? and love them, but those SSRs are nice also.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #56
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
I hope you update us when you get out to the track, I'm very curious about those sport cup tires!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #57
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry335 View Post
I think you're nuts to modify a leased car to start with. Things like exhaust, suspension, LSD are very hard to remove and will void your entire powertrain warranty. If I were you I'd do wheels/tires, and a simple piggyback like the procede/xede/tt or ******.

You really think exhaust and suspension are hard to put back to stock?

Remind me to stay away from your "chip"

Plus every car i had i put those mods and never once was my warranty voided.
      07-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #58
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post

Yeah total pita, You need a lift for the exhaust, an alignment for the suspension, plus all the time. Forget it!

Terry Tuner takes around 20 min to install/remove, turbo tuner 2-3 (if all goes smoothly), procede/xede around 30 min. Start with one of those.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #59
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito12 View Post
sorry, can't fully agree...

IMO stock 335i is not an IDEAL track car... but it is track worthy.

with a little mod, IMHO, it will hold its own on a track.

I just read an interesting article on the CAR and Driver where 335i coupe outperformed a z4-m series at the Virginia International Raceway. and put up some good numbers along the way...
Don't be fooled my friend....335i has an exellent set up which allows the car perfoming extremely good track-times BUT BMW has not build that car for this purpose.

...hence the absence of LSD

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 02:49 PM   #60
Carlito12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't be fooled my friend....335i has an exellent set up which allows the car perfoming extremely good track-times BUT BMW has not build that car for this purpose.

LOL thats what I said... not IDEAL, but track worthy...

btw - link to part of the article (car&driver)

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...35i-coupe.html

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #61
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post

Yeah..I have put exhaust and suspension on five of the last seven audis I owned. Exhaust is a piece of cake on a B5 S4.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #62
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:

Bmw has not built any car for this purpose. A bmw competition dept has some 325i built for this purpose beating all M cars. (There was a comparison in a Bmw magazine against M6.)
You need purposefully break stock 335i to do any harm on it on a track (oil cooler existing). It is a really fast track car among stock cars as you well know.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 12:30 PM   #63
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I hope you update us when you get out to the track, I'm very curious about those sport cup tires!
No problemo...

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #64
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

HEY TERRY exhaust and suspension doesn't blow your power train warranty....i would never buy a product from you for that reason alone...you don't seem to know a whole lot about these cars....and you come out with some ghetto rigged tuner... i have talked to my SA(who is a friend as well) and he said they work on tons of exhaust and suspension mods over the years and not one of them was ever rejected for a powertrain warranty and dinan stuff is covered and when BMW puts out its performance parts for the 335(mostly e46 stuff for now) is that stuff gonna void your warranty also....stop scaring people for no reason...bolt on exhaust or welded is not gonna void your powertrain warranty.... and neither will suspension.. how the hell would your suspension void your powertrain warranty....you have lost all credibility just for that post let alone a million others and the terry tuner aka GHETTO tuner... and i have an e34 540ia dinan 5 with 2 chips stage 1 koni suspension and free flow exhaust the full bit except diffs and never once did they have any problems and questioned my mods as causing a problem or affecting any warranty that was left or previous work done!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #65
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
HEY TERRY exhaust and suspension doesn't blow your power train warranty....i would never buy a product from you for that reason alone...you don't seem to know a whole lot about these cars....and you come out with some ghetto rigged tuner... i have talked to my SA(who is a friend as well) and he said they work on tons of exhaust and suspension mods over the years and not one of them was ever rejected for a powertrain warranty and dinan stuff is covered and when BMW puts out its performance parts for the 335(mostly e46 stuff for now) is that stuff gonna void your warranty also....stop scaring people for no reason...bolt on exhaust or welded is not gonna void your powertrain warranty.... and neither will suspension.. how the hell would your suspension void your powertrain warranty....you have lost all credibility just for that post let alone a million others and the terry tuner aka GHETTO tuner... and i have an e34 540ia dinan 5 with 2 chips stage 1 koni suspension and free flow exhaust the full bit except diffs and never once did they have any problems and questioned my mods as causing a problem or affecting any warranty that was left or previous work done!!!!
I think he meant something like...put an LSD in ..void your drivetrain warranty...put in coilovers..void your suspension warranty..etc. I accept this risk...even if my car is a leased car. It has never bitten me in the butt yet.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #66
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post

So naive... If something expensive breaks and you show up with mods they may decide to fix it, or may deny coverage. When you modify the car, any part, you put yourself at risk.

Say you blow your transmission and roll in with a catback exhaust, they can claim the extra power from the exhaust put unnecessary stress on the transmission, or engine, or turbos, or anything else. It doesn't matter if they are right or wrong, they have all the power and you'll be stuck with a huge diagnostic bill for just taking the car in even if you don't pay them to fix it. Don't hate the messenger but its happened to me and lots of friends over the years.
Appreciate 0