E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > will intercooler, bov, intake void warrenty?

06-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #23
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flem View Post
It is up to the dealer to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure/problem before they void your warranty.
that's right, however some mods are much more easily blamed for problems than others. I would put a BOV, a FMIC, and an intake into the category of more easily blamable, rather than say some new springs or an exhaust system.

Quote:
How is a BOV a waste of money? Especially when it will come with a hard pipe to replace the upper IC pipe?
How isn't it a waste of money? It's a damned noisemaker for Christ's sake.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #24
ohaywood
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 JB/Saddle E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I really wouldn't worry about the intercooler. The BOV could cause some problems, but I really don't know about the intake, since its such a common mod on so many cars.
      06-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #25
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Does the OP have the Dinan flash? If so doesn't Dinan void their warranty if you install any other performance parts that are not Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #26
flem
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
How isn't it a waste of money? It's a damned noisemaker for Christ's sake.
A BOV itself could be considered a waste of money... But when you get a hard pipe with it instead of the plastic pipe and rubber coupler BS that BMW put under the hood I do not consider it a waste...
      06-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #27
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
It is up to the dealer to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure/problem before they void your warranty.
I love when someone makes this statement. While it may be true, that's not how the real world works.

BMW and the dealership can give your warranty the finger at any point they want. It is then up to you to file a lawsuit and prove them wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #28
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
An intercooler also lets more air in. That's the whole reason for getting one. It cools the intake charge, making it denser, allowing more air to fill the same space, putting more air into the engine.
If your aftermarket parts cause your problem, then it's not covered. Same as if you filled up your engine with water from a hose (an yes, I've had a car towed in for that very reason). If you have an aftermarket intercooler, blow off valve, intake manifold, or other, and come in with an underboost code, we're going to charge you diagnosis to check it out. If the underboost is being caused by the aftermarket part, or the installation of that part, then you have to pay. That's only fair.
Do you actively seach for aftermarket parts as a first step? Care to enlighten us a bit?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #29
Octet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, E90

My dealer dose not have an issue with aftermarket intakes, the bov I've heard
other dealers flag, the fmic, I'm unsure, though I believe that assists lowering
pressure on the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #30
flem
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I love when someone makes this statement. While it may be true, that's not how the real world works.

BMW and the dealership can give your warranty the finger at any point they want. It is then up to you to file a lawsuit and prove them wrong.
If they make a habit of doing this they will have a class action lawsuit on their hands
      06-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #31
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Quote:
A BOV itself could be considered a waste of money... But when you get a hard pipe with it instead of the plastic pipe and rubber coupler BS that BMW put under the hood I do not consider it a waste...
Plus its alot stronger than the weak factory diverter valves.
      06-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #32
flem
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
Plus its alot stronger than the weak factory diverter valves.
exactly...
      06-23-2009, 01:02 AM   #33
littleyellowm3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR E90 M3

I have a JB2R, a custom dual cone intake, and solenoid bypass.

I brought my car into servicing for the first time after modding, and my SA and the tech basically gave me the green flag to modify my car how I want. He said BOV, IC, version 3 of JB or Vishnu (he mentioned them by name), catted dp, or exhaust is cool with them as long as I keep my end of the deal by not throwing a fit if my modifications directly cause whatever issue may arise. They even told me, because of the build date of my car, that if my fuel pump fails, they will replace it under warranty... get this, even after it expires, regardless of tunes.

PM me if you are in the midwest and would like to know what wonderful dealership this is.

The original user of the animated Bert and Ernie avatar. Except no substitutes.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 01:44 AM   #34
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

The HPFP warranty has been extended to 120k miles and 10yrs or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #35
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philritter21 View Post

I brought my car into servicing for the first time after modding, and my SA and the tech basically gave me the green flag to modify my car how I want. He said BOV, IC, version 3 of JB or Vishnu (he mentioned them by name), catted dp, or exhaust is cool with them as long as I keep my end of the deal by not throwing a fit if my modifications directly cause whatever issue may arise. They even told me, because of the build date of my car, that if my fuel pump fails, they will replace it under warranty... get this, even after it expires, regardless of tunes.

PM me if you are in the midwest and would like to know what wonderful dealership this is.
This is how the dealerships should actually be working. They should only deny a warrantied part if the mod had direct influence on that part failing.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 12:52 AM   #36
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

335i's weren't meant to run with Blow off valves. Putting one of those on your car COULD lead to problems. That is a waste of money since it adds no hp to your car and simply makes a woosh sound when shifting. The car wasn't designed with them so don't put them on the car. It is the easiest way to see if a car is modded. If you hear the whistle/woosh sound than you know something isn't right in Kansas.

As for the original question, I say any mod you do outside of Dinan will have a chance at causing some problem but this is the same for any car company. BMW just has more concerns since people are dialing up the boost to almost double the PSI and if something breaks they want BMW to fix it. Is that really fair? That's what I thought too.
      06-24-2009, 01:19 AM   #37
Blue Streak
Gunny
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i 6MT, 2016 F10 535

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
I can clearly hear the turbos spooling and the diverter valves blowing off pressure with just an intake. Why bother with a blow off valve then? I don't think it sounds much different than if it had blow off valves.
2007 E90 335i 6MT, ZSP, Nav, PDC, CA, Montego Blue, Terra Dakota leather, CDV, clutch-stop, E46 M Shift Knob, Logic HVI, JB4 PnP, MS 3" downpipes, Koni Yellow adjustable sport shocks, RE 12mm(f)/BMS 15mm(r) spacers, Blacklines, LUX 5.0 LED halo ring lights, DAEOS (Vista) harness, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, 35% sides-20% rear tint, matt black kidney grill, matt black 335i trunk badge
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 01:41 AM   #38
AKbmw
Brigadier General
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post
I can clearly hear the turbos spooling and the diverter valves blowing off pressure with just an intake. Why bother with a blow off valve then? I don't think it sounds much different than if it had blow off valves.
its just MUCH louder which some people prefer (like myself)

im on the same boat, im debating weather or not to take off my BOV to take it in to the dealership. the only reason why i dont want to take it off is because i broke the little nipple on the manifold while installing it and had the body shop fix it for me. so i really dont want to F*ck around with that nipple uninstalling it and installing it over and over again. but then again if it comes down to keeping my warrenty, i will gladly take the chance of taking it out.
      06-24-2009, 02:27 AM   #39
Blue Streak
Gunny
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i 6MT, 2016 F10 535

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKbmw View Post
its just MUCH louder which some people prefer (like myself)

im on the same boat, im debating weather or not to take off my BOV to take it in to the dealership. the only reason why i dont want to take it off is because i broke the little nipple on the manifold while installing it and had the body shop fix it for me. so i really dont want to F*ck around with that nipple uninstalling it and installing it over and over again. but then again if it comes down to keeping my warrenty, i will gladly take the chance of taking it out.
Well... I can see your point. I like the sound of it too, but I think I like the more subtle sound from just the diverter valves "blowing off" through the intake. I might want to just make sure that nipple thing is back to stock (or like stock) and secure, but I would put it all back to factory for any service. I hate having to replace my intake, tune and everything for simple service visits (because of the time, effort and extra beer), but I think it's got to be worth the peice of mind.

I'm even debating whether I need to remove my DAEOS (Vista) wiring harness because of the fact that the wire taps are so obvious at each of the light plugs and the that it goes into the ECU and taps into one of the wires there. It shows that I've obviously cracked open the ECU compartment and tapped into one of those highly technical, sensitive wires and they might not like that too much. I would feel comfortable leaving an aftermarket intercooler or suspension installed though.
2007 E90 335i 6MT, ZSP, Nav, PDC, CA, Montego Blue, Terra Dakota leather, CDV, clutch-stop, E46 M Shift Knob, Logic HVI, JB4 PnP, MS 3" downpipes, Koni Yellow adjustable sport shocks, RE 12mm(f)/BMS 15mm(r) spacers, Blacklines, LUX 5.0 LED halo ring lights, DAEOS (Vista) harness, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, 35% sides-20% rear tint, matt black kidney grill, matt black 335i trunk badge
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #40
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post
335i's weren't meant to run with Blow off valves. Putting one of those on your car COULD lead to problems. That is a waste of money since it adds no hp to your car and simply makes a woosh sound when shifting. The car wasn't designed with them so don't put them on the car. It is the easiest way to see if a car is modded. If you hear the whistle/woosh sound than you know something isn't right in Kansas.

As for the original question, I say any mod you do outside of Dinan will have a chance at causing some problem but this is the same for any car company. BMW just has more concerns since people are dialing up the boost to almost double the PSI and if something breaks they want BMW to fix it. Is that really fair? That's what I thought too.
The car was also designed to run on 255x35 rear tires, so don't put 275's back there. BMW designed the car to run on runflats that bubble constantly, so make sure you stay with them. BMW designed the car to run on a HPFP that fails on tons of cars. The bottom line is that just because the BMW came with the DVs doesn't mean putting a BOV on the car is bad. We have a T-MAP car and there is no "could" about it, a BOV cannot damage your engine. That is not an opinion, but a fact. If you don't like the sound then so be it, but please lets stop the misinformation about BOVs.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #41
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post

I hate when people add nonsense to the forum especially when this has been discussed a million times over. A bov will not do anything to your car, it is a tmap car. The car doesn't care if its diverted in or vent to atmosphere. a BOV is just another option for the car if you want something stronger than the weak factory diverter valves and you can enjoy the whoosh. The air you are diverting back in will not help those little snails spool any faster or help in performance. A bov does not hinder performance or make the car run any worse at all so please can we knock this off.
      06-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #42
golfinz
Captain
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
I hate when people add nonsense to the forum especially when this has been discussed a million times over. A bov will not do anything to your car, it is a tmap car. The car doesn't care if its diverted in or vent to atmosphere. a BOV is just another option for the car if you want something stronger than the weak factory diverter valves and you can enjoy the whoosh. BMW put dv on the car for noise issues not because it was made to work only with the motor. The air you are diverting back in will not help those little snails spool any faster or help in performance. A bov does not hinder performance or make the car run any worse at all so please can we knock this off.
+1...this man speaks the troof. These crazy "bov will cause issues" thoughts go along with my theory that most* bmw owners don't know much about how cars work and bank on online forum hearsay...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #43
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianthegreat View Post
Do you actively seach for aftermarket parts as a first step? Care to enlighten us a bit?
Do I actively search? I'll look around if I suspect something. If you have an undeboost fault, then the obvious first step is to do a visual inspection. Any hoses blown off? Anything there that shouldn't be?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #44
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post

Exactly right! They don't have to prove anything to you. And despite what all the fanboys think about how their mods "improve" BMW's design, I seriously doubt you would win even a lawsuit with DP's or IC, or a tune. And realistically, other than people who are students or who sit at home writing iPhone apps for a living, who has time for that? Are you really going to go to court for a <$1000 HPFP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philritter21 View Post

Sounds like your dealer's service department has a much more of an enthusiast's attitude - good for you. I would be aware that one SA's opinion might not grandfather you into unlimited mods should he not be there in the future or if the service manager takes a harder line on mods at some point in the future.
Appreciate 0