E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Adaptive Headlight warranty issue...HELP!

03-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
zesus-3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Adaptive Headlight warranty issue...HELP!

Hey guys, okay so heres the deal, I have a 07 335i 6mt, loaded with 39k miles on it.... 46k miles on it now. Purchased it used with an existing BMW warranty about 6 months ago....(thinking about getting the extended warranty.) Clean tittle, everything checked out, everything was good. I had warranty work done at another BMW dealership and never had an issue with my car.

So this past weekend I was starting my car, and my driver side headlight did not do the auto leveling sequence, the pass side was 100% ok no problem. My driver side light actually got stuck a bit higher than the passenger side as well, but it eventually went back down. Before then, this leveling sequence always worked fine upon start-up. The adaptive turning thing works fine, it just seems that the leveling mech has an issue. I also tried to re-aim the light manually but it did not move. I then scheduled an appt with another dealership closer to me this time.

So today I went to Open Rd BMW in Edison NJ, for what I thought was a faulty driver side adaptive headlight mechanism....Dropped the car off and that was that.

An hour later, the service advisor called me and explained that the modules in the headlight were good, no codes were showing but that my car was apparently in some kind of front end collision and that the internal mechanisms were broken in the light and it would not be under warranty because of this supposed accident. Now the carfax was clear when I purchased my car, and this headlight function worked fine up until this past weekend.....(could have been bad roads in NJ that jarred or broke it, i really dont know) He then explained to me that i needed a new light and that the light would be 1700 with labor, I said hell no.....

I am thinking of taking to the other dealership I was going to because IMO it is rediculous, how can they assume the damage was from an accident?? I am going back to BMW to have the tech show me the signs that my car was in an accident because I dont believe what they are saying.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do? Is this service request going to be on file now when I go to the next dealership? And lastly, does anybody know how I can fix the internals without buying a new headlight, or does anybody have a headlight for sale???? lol

Thanks for any help/
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
nguyen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

i had the same issue with it not auto leveling, dealership replaced the whole headlight assembly no charges under warranty

sounds like bs, start bitching or take to another dealership
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

They're 100% bullshitting you. How do they explain that all modules check out, and the light is original and unharmed on the outside, but a collision (that never happened) was enough to mess up the inside?

Dealerships are ridiculous. Go to a different one.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
zesus-3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Thanks guys....I just picked up my car, and two techs and my service advisor came out to show me what was damaged from a "supposed" accident. The tech plucked off this black plastic cover that is on a bolt under the hood right on top of the chanel that the driver side fender is bolted to....He said that the fender was removed and/or painted, and then he showed me how a the chanel that this above said fender bolt sat in was not the same as the driver side.

He said it looked like the chanel where the top fender bolts are secured was clear coated??? I was like wtf? I told these idiots that I had no issues with the headlights as long as I owned the car and everything was functioning properly, how is this not covered under warranty? One of the tech guys said that I could have hit a pothole and damaged it....I responded with "are you fucking joking me, I have 19's on the car with a 35 tire, dont you think that I would have damaged my wheels, or damaged the leveling sensor, or even the lower control arm before the headlight? He had nothing to say to that.....He then suggested that they could try and replace the broken part instead of replacing the whole headlight for $1700...i declined and left

So I am taking my car back to the original dealership I always go to tomorrow. I am concerned that this might be on my service record, but my advisor said it will not be....Is that true???

Lastly, nothing electronic was broken, apparently the adjusting rod broke, can this be purchased seperately? Is there any fix to this like they had for the e46 adjuster rods? (a company made aftermarket stainless ones from what im hearing)

Any information would be awesome.....thanks
Appreciate 0