E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > ATTN: Recall update for e9x (Nov 18th)

11-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
rabble
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 330i M Sport

ATTN: Recall update for e9x (Nov 18th)

Last night my idrive messed up and caused me alot of problems (radio doesnt off even with car off and doors locked from the outside) so i called bmw today to book it in and the lady on the phone said there was a recall for certain parts on my 2008 e93 330i.

I cant remember the specifics because i was in a rush at the time but i remember somthing about 'intake silencer' and something which leads to reduced performance so they will rectify these on thursday.

Im not sure exactly which models are effected but i thought its worth while telling you guys as she did say this recall came on the 18th November.

Sorry about not knowing the specifics but if you have a car similar to mine, i think its worth you ringing your dealer or bmw uk to see if your car if effected.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Sounds interesting mate!!!! I will ask our resident E9x Expert.

Tony? Any more info buddy?
      11-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Convertible E93

Thanks for the tip!

I've been asking my garage for ages to check the air/fuel mixture settings since on the odd occasion it just hasn't felt right.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
This isn't a vehicle safety recall per soe, it is purely a workshop service action.

Sort of things to sort out niggles and small design faults during a service visit. Dealership staff shouldn't talk about them really, I would have thought they would remain a confidential document.
      11-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Thought re-calls were on something that was affecting so many cars that they make it a massive nation/world wide rectification process..Regardless of whether its a safety issue or not?
      11-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
evil_scooby
m340i owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ex Scoob, Ex S4, ex 335d m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabble View Post
Last night my idrive messed up and caused me alot of problems (radio doesnt off even with car off and doors locked from the outside) so i called bmw today to book it in and the lady on the phone said there was a recall for certain parts on my 2008 e93 330i.

I cant remember the specifics because i was in a rush at the time but i remember somthing about 'intake silencer' and something which leads to reduced performance so they will rectify these on thursday.

Im not sure exactly which models are effected but i thought its worth while telling you guys as she did say this recall came on the 18th November.

Sorry about not knowing the specifics but if you have a car similar to mine, i think its worth you ringing your dealer or bmw uk to see if your car if effected.

Hope this helps
Rabble, I take it you didnt have bluetooth connected? I find that on mine which I think is a little annoying, even if I switch to my phone source the radio stays on with the doors locked.
I think my issue is just a bluetooth one though, maybe not a fault
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Thought re-calls were on something that was affecting so many cars that they make it a massive nation/world wide rectification process..Regardless of whether its a safety issue or not?
Safety recalls are serious safety-related recalls of the affected vehicles with the help of VOSA/DVLA.
      11-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I don't have the exact information to hand and am going by the word of someone else who only had a quick scan of the recall notice, so I may not be 200% accurate, but I believe it's close enough. I will try to get the exact information tomorrow.

What I know so far is that there is no 'recall' as such, just a workshop service order as Dr Dave has pointed out. Recalls are limited to very serious items, normally linked to major mechanical failure or a failure in one of the safety systems.

The advisory I believe is something to do with the air filter - if the current part installed falls within a certain part index number, then it requires replacement to a modified part. I believe that this service advisory will only be implemented when the car is due in for service or if a car goes into an official BMW workshop for other work to be done.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Safety recalls are serious safety-related recalls of the affected vehicles with the help of VOSA/DVLA.
but a re-call does not have to be about safety, it could be about cracked wheels just to think of an example off the top of my head.
      11-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Manufacturers don't want recalls as it is bad for the brand image.
      11-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
but a re-call does not have to be about safety, it could be about cracked wheels just to think of an example off the top of my head.
So a cracked wheel is not a safety issue?

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Have you heard anything on a recall related to cracked wheels?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 06:32 AM   #13
rabble
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_scooby View Post
Rabble, I take it you didnt have bluetooth connected? I find that on mine which I think is a little annoying, even if I switch to my phone source the radio stays on with the doors locked.
I think my issue is just a bluetooth one though, maybe not a fault
My idrive is completely frozen so i cant control any of it including the radio, nav etc... the bluetooth on my phone does connect to the car but doesnt work. Its quite annoying but hopefully should be fixed soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
I don't have the exact information to hand and am going by the word of someone else who only had a quick scan of the recall notice, so I may not be 200% accurate, but I believe it's close enough. I will try to get the exact information tomorrow.

What I know so far is that there is no 'recall' as such, just a workshop service order as Dr Dave has pointed out. Recalls are limited to very serious items, normally linked to major mechanical failure or a failure in one of the safety systems.

The advisory I believe is something to do with the air filter - if the current part installed falls within a certain part index number, then it requires replacement to a modified part. I believe that this service advisory will only be implemented when the car is due in for service or if a car goes into an official BMW workshop for other work to be done.
Yep what you said sounds familiar to what the lady said but she also said somthing about an intake silencer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
This isn't a vehicle safety recall per soe, it is purely a workshop service action.

Sort of things to sort out niggles and small design faults during a service visit. Dealership staff shouldn't talk about them really, I would have thought they would remain a confidential document.
Yeah i think your right. Its definately not an essential safety recall but she did specificly say 'recall' on the phone which is why i put that on the title thread (i didnt think recall was purely based on safety only aspects). The woman was really nice, it took me by suprise!
Appreciate 0