E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How Did the N54 Win Engine of The Year?

02-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #45
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe E92 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
JB4 on map 5 my friend... you will love it!
Yea, I think I need to go ahead and buy a JB4 unit. My only concern is a 2007 car with 90k miles. I don't know if it is worth the risk, though it has no problems going flat out and driving hard.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #46
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDriveIt View Post
Yea, I think I need to go ahead and buy a JB4 unit. My only concern is a 2007 car with 90k miles. I don't know if it is worth the risk, though it has no problems going flat out and driving hard.
There is no risk other than you need to just change spark plugs every 25k miles. Your n54 is a very solid motor... i heard it won Motor of the Year...
Appreciate 3
      02-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #47
shuaige
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335is

Quote:
I was on a road trip with my wife when going on that 950 mile trek to IL from NJ. I had 2 spare RFT tires in the backseat (just in case), trunk was loaded with suitcases and gifts for visiting family and the back seats were packed (in and around the tires). Plus two adults in the front seats of the e90.

Speed was set using the cruise control stalk set at 10 mph over the speed limit (BMW Skew was not disabled) at all times. Tires were at a cold psi of 34 psi @ 10*F before setting off with normal compressed air. Full tank of gas at start of the commute and one refill on the route. I arrived at near empty tank.

Gear was set to "D" (I am a 6AT) and I did not have the Alpina flash at the time.
I got 19mpg on a 50mi highway drive this morning.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #48
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuaige View Post
I got 19mpg on a 50mi highway drive this morning.
Do you use the cruise control stalk? How much air do you run in your tires?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #49
shuaige
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Do you use the cruise control stalk? How much air do you run in your tires?
Nope, I don't use cruise control as I find having to maintain a varying pressure on the pedal keeps me more alert while driving.

The real problem for my gas mileage is my speed, but I might check my tire pressure as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #50
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
There is no risk other than you need to just change spark plugs every 25k miles. Your n54 is a very solid motor... i heard it won Motor of the Year...
Just the internals. The rest of the engine is shit!
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #51
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope, I don't use cruise control as I find having to maintain a varying pressure on the pedal keeps me more alert while driving.

The real problem for my gas mileage is my speed, but I might check my tire pressure as well.
Not sure about your personal commute, but I find myself using the cruise control stalk a lot as I am driving even in local drives. Its a great way to not get nailed by cops in areas that are prone to have cops camping out. I don't have any "alert" problems in my commute (short or long distance drives) in my e90... the cruise control is a great way to get great gas mileage.

I remember once watching Top Gear... they were making a joke about what is the #1 killer of MPG... it's not hard acceleration... its brakes. I actually find myself actively pressing the button to engage my pre set cruise control speed and canceling the cruise control to let the car roll to match the speed of the car in front of me or as I approach a red light. I'm rarely on my brakes since I'm a pretty good judge of distance and anticipating conditions. My front brakes lasted 99,500 miles before I changed the original pads and rotors. From time-to-time I might even use the paddles to down shift a gear or so as I come up to a red light to help with the decel.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #52
CookMaster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 TB

I think folks are missing the major point of this engine, it was the first BMW mass produced direct injection engine. Why? DI produces more HP per liter than the old style port fuel injection. That's why this engine has been lauded because it pushed the envelope and produced an engine that was equally matched to the car/weight ratio. Sure, there are always growing pains with the support equipment that was part of this package, but that is true of any leading edge technology. Add to the DI, the twin turbos for the engine, you have a incredible package for performance even at the base level. There wasn't anything comparable to the N54 powered cars except for M cars at much higher prices. Every iteration of the N54, N55 now B58 engines have been incredible. You can talk about the cheap reliability of Japanese cars, but they can't match the whole car concept that BMW provides. Does it cost? Yes, but you can be happy in knowing that your vehicle is better than nearly 95% on the road. Enjoy your ride!
      02-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #53
Maranello455
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 09'M-3,99'M3,02'M-3,88'M6,74'T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookMaster View Post
I think folks are missing the major point of this engine, it was the first BMW mass produced direct injection engine. Why? DI produces more HP per liter than the old style port fuel injection. That's why this engine has been lauded because it pushed the envelope and produced an engine that was equally matched to the car/weight ratio. Sure, there are always growing pains with the support equipment that was part of this package, but that is true of any leading edge technology. Add to the DI, the twin turbos for the engine, you have a incredible package for performance even at the base level. There wasn't anything comparable to the N54 powered cars except for M cars at much higher prices. Every iteration of the N54, N55 now B58 engines have been incredible. You can talk about the cheap reliability of Japanese cars, but they can't match the whole car concept that BMW provides. Does it cost? Yes, but you can be happy in knowing that your vehicle is better than nearly 95% on the road. Enjoy your ride!
Well said.
      02-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #54
shuaige
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Not sure about your personal commute, but I find myself using the cruise control stalk a lot as I am driving even in local drives. Its a great way to not get nailed by cops in areas that are prone to have cops camping out. I don't have any "alert" problems in my commute (short or long distance drives) in my e90... the cruise control is a great way to get great gas mileage.

I remember once watching Top Gear... they were making a joke about what is the #1 killer of MPG... it's not hard acceleration... its brakes. I actually find myself actively pressing the button to engage my pre set cruise control speed and canceling the cruise control to let the car roll to match the speed of the car in front of me or as I approach a red light. I'm rarely on my brakes since I'm a pretty good judge of distance and anticipating conditions. My front brakes lasted 99,500 miles before I changed the original pads and rotors. From time-to-time I might even use the paddles to down shift a gear or so as I come up to a red light to help with the decel.
I agree with you; it's just that, unfortunately, if you intend to drive significantly faster than traffic and not be stuck behind an idiot in a Prius in the left-most lane, you'll have to deal with significantly worse gas mileage.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #55
Boost4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E63S AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDriveIt View Post
Nice. I get 22mpg on the highway in my stock 07 335i coupe.
I got 27mpg all highway going 80mph when my 335i was all stock, & 30mpg when I was going 65mph.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #56
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you; it's just that, unfortunately, if you intend to drive significantly faster than traffic and not be stuck behind an idiot in a Prius in the left-most lane, you'll have to deal with significantly worse gas mileage.
Oh no doubt, more boost means you need to match it with more fuel and more spark to make MORE POWER

But once again... acceleration doesn't kill your gas mileage... it's the braking. Even when I gun my car, I try as much as I can to let the car roll to my desired speed and then lock in the cruise control. I can't always be gunning it from red light to red light (living my life 1/4 mile at a time)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #57
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe E92 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy415 View Post
I got 27mpg all highway going 80mph when my 335i was all stock, & 30mpg when I was going 65mph.
Nice, mine does not do that haha. Just goes to show what age does to a car.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #58
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Any more thoughts on the engine? Seems to be more of a legend with the power they are putting out now.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 10:15 PM   #59
antonmn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Recently hit 230,000 miles on my stock n54. Doesn't burn a drop of oil, and since I've replaced every seal - at least once - it doesn't have any drips.

Recently have had some really jerky 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. A throttle adaptation reset has made it better, but not sure what's up.

Same hpfp for 150k. Same cooling system for 120k. Replaced some injectors. LOTS of suspension bits.

But the motor has just been a beast. I've been thinking about a newer 340, but this one still performs so well. My overall average mpg (100% urban, maybe 22 mph avg) is 18. Maybe hit 25-27 on road trips where I'm averaging 78 mph.

This engine really has been wonderful. Not as sublime as an m54, but so much more spirit.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 01:25 AM   #60
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
I was starting to worry that BMW peaked (at least performance wise...for that typical BMW I6 feel I believe the turbo motors leave a lot to be desired, but I digress) at the N54, and that nothing would come close again. The N55 is not bad or incapable by any means, especially the MPPK one with the upgraded crank, rods, and latest revision HPFP, but the stock turbo is a bit more of a limitation as compared to the N54. However, the B58 and S58 are absolute monsters and are worthy successors to the N54/N55. Glad to see it continuing on.
Appreciate 0