E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > we need to fight for our right to have an air-to-oil cooler!!!

03-15-2007, 12:56 AM   #1
///M_owns_you
President
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

we need to fight for our right to have an air-to-oil cooler!!!

This is bullshit that some of us have a-t-a coolers and some not, wtf is that?! This is BMW not some lame ass other company, they're supposed to be know for their quality and consistency so wtf is this crap about some people having the cooler and others not. I am one of the un lucky who dont (atleast according to the post about the cooler and where to look for it and i looked into my lower air dams and saw nothing but ducts for my brakes). So can we have this oil cooler for our autos installed by our dealers at no charge? Fighting them by saying well it comes on all thier e92's! And they must have forgotten mine, call it a lemon i dunno but you need to install that shit asap, free of charge dude!
Black Sapphire 335i coupe/Saddle Brown leather/Aluminum trim-Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Navigation, PDC, Paddle shifters,Vishnu PROcede awaits, 20" iForged Essen, H&R springs, Milltek cat-back exhaust,side markers painted, 25% tint, V1 hardwired

Last edited by ///M_owns_you; 03-15-2007 at 01:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 01:46 AM   #2
Lost Cosmonaut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW 740iL E38 Alpinweiß

And this needed it's own thread... why?

- LC
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 03:18 AM   #3
///M_owns_you
President
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cosmonaut View Post
And this needed it's own thread... why?

- LC
what? why not...are you kidding me? I need to see if its a legit thing to do, see if it can be done, see what you guys are up to and think. What do people post threads for then? Its not just to annouce PROcede this and BOV that and I finally got my 335 pic, and whatever. You got a question, concern, or comment then post a thread, otherwise what makes this forum then?
Black Sapphire 335i coupe/Saddle Brown leather/Aluminum trim-Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Navigation, PDC, Paddle shifters,Vishnu PROcede awaits, 20" iForged Essen, H&R springs, Milltek cat-back exhaust,side markers painted, 25% tint, V1 hardwired
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 06:46 AM   #4
jrios_jr
First Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3333555

some guy is getting it installed by bmw for free. he loged it with bmwusa... read his steps and emails and do the exact same thing. I would def. be pissed off if i was in your pants. good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

mine works fine without it... if your car has never seen higher than 260F (like mine), then you probably dont need it either...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
Captain Oblivious
My car is for sale
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly for max fuel economy

I wasn't aware that having an air-to-oil cooler is a right. Is that right guaranteed somewhere?
      03-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #7
Jeeves915
Private
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 6AT Coupe

Can we have a link to the guy getting it installed?

Capt. Obv. I don't call it a RIGHT, but, it is a change that would definitely impact the vehicle. Me being slightly paranoid, I'd welcome having the oil cooler.
However, thats just my $0.03 (adjusted for inflation)
-Adam
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oblivious View Post
I wasn't aware that having an air-to-oil cooler is a right. Is that right guaranteed somewhere?
Numerous posts from BMWNA have stated that ALL 335 cars with option code 840 (AT and MT) with a production date after 11/30/06 have an oil cooler. I think we definately have a right to have them on our cars that meet the production date criteria and have the sport package. IMO, this is no different than paying for leather and not getting it.:mad:
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #9
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Search for oil cooler and a number of threads on this topic come up, including the one with the member who was offered a retrofit.

I don't know that I would say we have a "right" to the part. I would say we have some grounds to stand on when asking for it. Numerous BMW employees have mentioned that the part should have been installed but was not. The analogy to leather is a good one. If you opted for the sports package you paid for this part, so if you didn't get it then I would say it isn't unreasonable to be concerned about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 12:04 PM   #10
audiphile
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CORRADO SLC, 07 335i

Do all cats, Manual or Autos, have this missing cooler, possibly? I have a 10/06 production e90 335i with sport package, should mine have this cooler?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #11
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

I believe only the earlier automatics don't have this right? I think they're putting it in all models now, regardless of manual or auto.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #12
turbojet3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Oh your car didn't get the Turbos? BMW retains the right to make production changes, Sorry
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 01:19 PM   #13
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

I just received this current email from BMWNA. ANY 335i w/ Sport Package is to have the oil cooler.

Dear Mr. Clemens:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding parts in your 2007 BMW 335Ci. We appreciate your inquiry.

In addition to the standard coolant-to-oil cooler, any 335i with the 150-mph top-speed limiter (thus with the Sport Package)
has an air-to-oil cooler positioned in the right front wheelwell. I hope this information is helpful.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Bethany Sims
Customer Relations and Services
Representative
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
DrM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Blue E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet3 View Post
Oh your car didn't get the Turbos? BMW retains the right to make production changes, Sorry
The right of a car company to make production changes is widely established. The deleting of the turbos in your example is not the same type of change as BMW deciding to add or delete a small oil cooler. The literature describes the turbos as a feature of the car. Deleting the turbos would result in a substantial change in the operating characteristics of the car and would be inconsistent with advertised features. You would have a claim based on that change.

However, if BMW decides that the car needs or doesn't need an oil cooler, this is a minor change and is completely up to BMW to decide. Especially if the cooler isn't advertised as a feature of the car.

Some of you may be able to convince BMW to retrofit your car with a cooler, but they are certainly not obligated to do so. Hopefully, they will come out with a consistent policy on this issue. When some people get the retrofit and others don't that creates PR problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #15
Ccatznip
Cat
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Space Grey

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2004 330i  [0.00]
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
If the oil temp isnt off the charts, i would not consider it a big deal. Now, if my oil temps read over what BMW considers "normal operating temp" i would push for the retrofit.
      03-15-2007, 02:00 PM   #16
Ccatznip
Cat
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2004 330i  [0.00]
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M_owns_you View Post
This is bullshit that some of us have a-t-a coolers and some not, wtf is that?! This is BMW not some lame ass other company, they're supposed to be know for their quality and consistency so wtf is this crap about some people having the cooler and others not. I am one of the un lucky who dont (atleast according to the post about the cooler and where to look for it and i looked into my lower air dams and saw nothing but ducts for my brakes). So can we have this oil cooler for our autos installed by our dealers at no charge? Fighting them by saying well it comes on all thier e92's! And they must have forgotten mine, call it a lemon i dunno but you need to install that shit asap, free of charge dude!
Also, you might have left a "bad taste" in the mouth of this forum (i.e. your multi-repost).....might explain some of the bad feedback from your thread.
      03-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #17
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Code:
Performance and Efficiency
3.0-liter dual overhead cam (DOHC), 24-valve inline turbocharged 300-horsepower 6-cylinder engine with twin-turbo technology and Double VANOS steplessly variable valve timing
Electronic throttle control
6-speed manual transmission
Handling, ride and braking
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), including Brake Fade Compensation, Start-off Assistant, Brake Drying, and Brake Stand-by features, with Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)
Extensive aluminum componentry, including front suspension components (forged-aluminum lower arms, steering knuckle); subframe; steering rack; and brake components
Double-pivot type front and five-link rear suspension
5-link rear suspension with cast-aluminum upper transverse arms
Front and rear anti-roll (stabilizer) bars
Twin-tube gas-pressure shock absorbers
Sport suspension calibration
4-wheel ventilated anti-lock disc brakes with Dynamic Brake Control (DBC)
Engine-speed-sensitive, variable-assist power steering
Exterior
Light-alloy wheels; 17 x 8.0, Star Spoke (Style 185), 225/45R-17 run-flat1 all-season tires
Tire Pressure Monitor
Xenon Adaptive Headlights with auto-leveling
Halogen free-form front foglights
Heated dual power mirrors and heated windshield washer jets
Interior seating
8-way power front seats with 2-way manual headrests and driver memory with 2 pre-sets for seat and exterior mirror positions
Leatherette upholstery
3-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel with audio and hands-free phone5 controls
Front seatback storage nets
Split fold-down rear seats
Comfort and convenience
Engine Start/Stop button
Automatic climate control – includes micro-filter, automatic air recirculation, left/right temperature control, temperature- and volume-controlled rear outlets, windshield misting sensor, maximum air conditioning, heat at rest, more powerful fan, and recall of individual user settings
2-way power glass moonroof with “one-touch” operation, sliding interior sunshade, and wind deflector
Retractable door storage pockets with covers
Front-seat center armrest with climate-controlled storage compartment
Front passenger cupholders (dashboard-integrated)
Rear-seat with fold-down center armrest with dual cupholders and storage bin with retractable cover
Tilt/telescopic steering wheel column
Power front windows with "one-touch" up/down operation
Dynamic Cruise Control
BMW Ambiance interior lighting along doors and side of rear cabin
Courtesy lights – include fade in/fade out, actuation from remote, automatic switch-on when engine is turned off, separately controlled left/right front and rear reading lights, front footwell lighting, and illuminated vanity mirrors
Ground lighting located in bottom of exterior door handles
Automatic safety belt assistant
Locking glovebox
Electric interior trunk release
Rain-sensing windshield wipers and Automatic headlight control
Pre-wiring for BMW center installation of mobile phone, alarm system
Audio system
Logic7 Surround Sound anti-theft AM/FM stereo CD/MP3 player audio system with 13 upgraded speakers (including 2 subwoofers), Digital Sound Processing (DSP), Radio Data System (RDS), Auto-Store and 3-channel FM diversity antenna; displays MP3 song title and artist
Auxiliary audio input for portable music players located in the center armrest
Pre-wiring for BMW center installation of 6-disc CD/MP3 changer, satellite radio
Instrumentation and Controls
Service Interval Indicator with miles-to-service readout
Check Control vehicle monitor system with pictogram display, oil status display, and Condition Based Service indicator
On-board computer with check control - provides feedback on the vehicle's operating status: oil level indicator and distance to next service appointment/oil change, as well as other detailed information such as spark plug and micro-filter status. It also provides travel information – travel range on remaining fuel, external temperature, and more.
Safety and Security
Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
Adaptive Brake Lights
MRS5 centralized safety control system
Front and rear Head Protection System (HPS)
Automatic safety belt pretensioners and load-limiters at front seating positions
Driver’s and passenger’s front airbag supplemental restraint system (SRS) with “smart” dual-threshold, dual-stage deployment and sensor to help prevent unnecessary passenger’s airbag deployment
Seat-mounted front side-impact airbags
Front passenger seat-occupation recognition with Passenger’s Airbag Off indicator
Interlocking door anchoring system to help protect against door intrusion in side impacts
Central locking system with center console switch (leaves gas filler door unlocked), double-lock feature and 2-step unlocking
Coded Driveaway Protection
Automatic-locking retractors (ALR) on all passenger safety belts for installation of child-restraint seat
LATCH attachments on child-restraint safety installation
Crash sensor that automatically turns on hazard lights and interior lights, and unlocks doors
Programmable daytime running lights
Fiber-optics-based MOST-BUS architecture for safety systems
BMW Ultimate Service™
BMW Ultimate Service is a collection of services that comes with all new BMWs, at no charge, for four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. It includes the BMW Maintenance Program, which covers all factory-recommended maintenance and items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear; unlimited-mileage Roadside Assistance; and a New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

If your vehicle is a model year 2007 or later and is equipped with the BMW Assist™ and Bluetooth® system either as an option or as part of the Premium Package, you’ll also receive a four-year, unlimited mileage subscription to the BMW Assist Safety Plan. Among the features is TeleService, an exclusive benefit that allows your vehicle to contact your BMW center directly when it needs service or maintenance.

cntrl f, oil cooler... dont see it... soo its not your right
      03-15-2007, 02:06 PM   #18
Ccatznip
Cat
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2004 330i  [0.00]
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
Code:
Performance and Efficiency
3.0-liter dual overhead cam (DOHC), 24-valve inline turbocharged 300-horsepower 6-cylinder engine with twin-turbo technology and Double VANOS steplessly variable valve timing
Electronic throttle control
6-speed manual transmission
Handling, ride and braking
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), including Brake Fade Compensation, Start-off Assistant, Brake Drying, and Brake Stand-by features, with Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)
Extensive aluminum componentry, including front suspension components (forged-aluminum lower arms, steering knuckle); subframe; steering rack; and brake components
Double-pivot type front and five-link rear suspension
5-link rear suspension with cast-aluminum upper transverse arms
Front and rear anti-roll (stabilizer) bars
Twin-tube gas-pressure shock absorbers
Sport suspension calibration
4-wheel ventilated anti-lock disc brakes with Dynamic Brake Control (DBC)
Engine-speed-sensitive, variable-assist power steering
Exterior
Light-alloy wheels; 17 x 8.0, Star Spoke (Style 185), 225/45R-17 run-flat1 all-season tires
Tire Pressure Monitor
Xenon Adaptive Headlights with auto-leveling
Halogen free-form front foglights
Heated dual power mirrors and heated windshield washer jets
Interior seating
8-way power front seats with 2-way manual headrests and driver memory with 2 pre-sets for seat and exterior mirror positions
Leatherette upholstery
3-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel with audio and hands-free phone5 controls
Front seatback storage nets
Split fold-down rear seats
Comfort and convenience
Engine Start/Stop button
Automatic climate control – includes micro-filter, automatic air recirculation, left/right temperature control, temperature- and volume-controlled rear outlets, windshield misting sensor, maximum air conditioning, heat at rest, more powerful fan, and recall of individual user settings
2-way power glass moonroof with “one-touch” operation, sliding interior sunshade, and wind deflector
Retractable door storage pockets with covers
Front-seat center armrest with climate-controlled storage compartment
Front passenger cupholders (dashboard-integrated)
Rear-seat with fold-down center armrest with dual cupholders and storage bin with retractable cover
Tilt/telescopic steering wheel column
Power front windows with "one-touch" up/down operation
Dynamic Cruise Control
BMW Ambiance interior lighting along doors and side of rear cabin
Courtesy lights – include fade in/fade out, actuation from remote, automatic switch-on when engine is turned off, separately controlled left/right front and rear reading lights, front footwell lighting, and illuminated vanity mirrors
Ground lighting located in bottom of exterior door handles
Automatic safety belt assistant
Locking glovebox
Electric interior trunk release
Rain-sensing windshield wipers and Automatic headlight control
Pre-wiring for BMW center installation of mobile phone, alarm system
Audio system
Logic7 Surround Sound anti-theft AM/FM stereo CD/MP3 player audio system with 13 upgraded speakers (including 2 subwoofers), Digital Sound Processing (DSP), Radio Data System (RDS), Auto-Store and 3-channel FM diversity antenna; displays MP3 song title and artist
Auxiliary audio input for portable music players located in the center armrest
Pre-wiring for BMW center installation of 6-disc CD/MP3 changer, satellite radio
Instrumentation and Controls
Service Interval Indicator with miles-to-service readout
Check Control vehicle monitor system with pictogram display, oil status display, and Condition Based Service indicator
On-board computer with check control - provides feedback on the vehicle's operating status: oil level indicator and distance to next service appointment/oil change, as well as other detailed information such as spark plug and micro-filter status. It also provides travel information – travel range on remaining fuel, external temperature, and more.
Safety and Security
Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
Adaptive Brake Lights
MRS5 centralized safety control system
Front and rear Head Protection System (HPS)
Automatic safety belt pretensioners and load-limiters at front seating positions
Driver’s and passenger’s front airbag supplemental restraint system (SRS) with “smart” dual-threshold, dual-stage deployment and sensor to help prevent unnecessary passenger’s airbag deployment
Seat-mounted front side-impact airbags
Front passenger seat-occupation recognition with Passenger’s Airbag Off indicator
Interlocking door anchoring system to help protect against door intrusion in side impacts
Central locking system with center console switch (leaves gas filler door unlocked), double-lock feature and 2-step unlocking
Coded Driveaway Protection
Automatic-locking retractors (ALR) on all passenger safety belts for installation of child-restraint seat
LATCH attachments on child-restraint safety installation
Crash sensor that automatically turns on hazard lights and interior lights, and unlocks doors
Programmable daytime running lights
Fiber-optics-based MOST-BUS architecture for safety systems
BMW Ultimate Service™
BMW Ultimate Service is a collection of services that comes with all new BMWs, at no charge, for four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. It includes the BMW Maintenance Program, which covers all factory-recommended maintenance and items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear; unlimited-mileage Roadside Assistance; and a New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

If your vehicle is a model year 2007 or later and is equipped with the BMW Assist™ and Bluetooth® system either as an option or as part of the Premium Package, you’ll also receive a four-year, unlimited mileage subscription to the BMW Assist Safety Plan. Among the features is TeleService, an exclusive benefit that allows your vehicle to contact your BMW center directly when it needs service or maintenance.

cntrl f, oil cooler... dont see it... soo its not your right
I love this guy!!!!
      03-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #19
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccatznip View Post
I love this guy!!!!
well its the truth, its not like bmw promised him an oil cooler, and thats got a crap load of stuff on it, i dont even know what half of it is

"coded driveway protection"
      03-15-2007, 02:18 PM   #20
Ccatznip
Cat
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2004 330i  [0.00]
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
well its the truth, its not like bmw promised him an oil cooler, and thats got a crap load of stuff on it, i dont even know what half of it is

"coded driveway protection"
I am not bagging on you at all. i just like your "tell it like it is and no bullshit" replies. It is nice to see that.
      03-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #21
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

You guys are hilarious in your defense of BMW. Only a specific set of cars between certain dates didn't get the cooler. They re-added it in December; that says to me the car needs it. Not only that, but when contacted they are telling customers that *all* ZSP cars have it, which is clearly not true. As for this having a "significant" effect; there have been 4 known reports of overheating 335i's, all 4 involved automatic cars with no oil cooler. Do the math.

I don't see this oil cooler as "it's my right", I see it as, at this point, something BMW should offer as a courtesy to those of us with AT and ZSP. The cars should have it, they don't. The number of cars effected is not large, and the retrofit is not expensive; so it makes little sense to me to have customers who feel ripped off.

Pasting a list of features and saying since it isn't on there it isn't included is absurd. I don't see "gas cap" on there, or "front windshield"...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #22
Barat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

can someone please confirm that this is the case only for SOME AT cars. I have a 6mt looked for the oil cooler but couldn't seem to find it (granted i didn't look very hard)

thanks
Appreciate 0