E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E91 xenon bulb change

11-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

E91 xenon bulb change

Right,I've just bought some of the led bulbs that Ish is selling.
That's the easy part.I think that I may have underestimated what a p.i.a. job the bulb change might be.
Has anyone done the change on a pre lci E91?
Different sources say it may be either a bumper off job or it may be via the arches.
Anyone know anything definitive,before I start ballsing things up!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
Right,I've just bought some of the led bulbs that Ish is selling.
That's the easy part.I think that I may have underestimated what a p.i.a. job the bulb change might be.
Has anyone done the change on a pre lci E91?
Different sources say it may be either a bumper off job or it may be via the arches.
Anyone know anything definitive,before I start ballsing things up!
Okay so:

Standing in front of car start with the left headlight ...you have a little more room to get the "feel" for it

- twist the cover on the back of the headlight clockwise (you are facing the engine compartment)

- very gently remove the electric connector of your oem h8 bulb by using a very little screwdriver or plastic trim tool to release the "greyish" safety clips (be careful - don't break them)

- the back of your oem h8 bulb is shaped like a "L" ... you will feel the back of the bulb pointing up and towards the outside of the engine bay (fender)

- twist the oem bulb (again you are standing in front of the vehicle facing the engine) clockwise (towards the right "driver-side" headlight)

- lay the bulb down on a towel EXACTLY IN THE POSITION you took it out => as reference when you install the LED => referring to the lineup of the little notches in the bulb holder inside the headlight

- using a little screwdriver (an automotive mirror or any small mirror and a bright flashlight will come in handy at this point) push the little rubber grommet out of the way .. refer to this link http://luxangeleyes.com/guides/LUX_H...ll_E90_LCI.pdf

- install/insert holding the LUXH8 in the exact same way you removed the oem h8 bulb ... here comes the PITA part ... it will require a substantial amount of "finegeling" to get the LED inserted just right and it will take a lot of cussing to twist into place ... you will have to twist the bulb counter clock wise (towards the fender) ... use your index finger and thumb and become hulk for about 2 seconds to twist and "shout"

- reconnect the electrical connectors and with care insert the little black box ... i suggest you place them inside the headlight housing towards (position) the opposite headlight (more room due to the interior routing of the "glass" tubes for the ae-rings)

- close headlight by twisting the cover counter clock wise (towards the fender)

... now the driver side .... what a pain in the @@@ ... less room to work with ... but no worries ... the after math is worth it

... general rule: removing the oem bulbs: twist towards the grille - installing: twist towards the fender

(CREDIT: ELECTRICJET)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep

Ish-thanks very much for the links-I'll take a look and see if they are the same as the E91.Working over the next few days,but hopefully I'll get a few minutes during the daylight hours...
I wish everyone was as good with their customer service as yourself!
-H
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey

Quote:
Ish-thanks very much for the links-I'll take a look and see if they are the same as the E91.Working over the next few days,but hopefully I'll get a few minutes during the daylight hours...
-H
Thanks very much!

If you're stuck please dont hesitate to give me a shout!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Quote:
-H
Yup, totally agree regarding Ish

I've put my feckin back out in the gym yesterday - can't even attempt to fit my led's until that's sorted!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
-H
Billyray, here's some more help/info courtesy of Jules59 from another thread (a handy tip in bold, re the driver's side).

"I changed my H8 LEDS on my 2009 E91. Its LCI but uses H8 for the Angel eyes. Access is via the engine bay.

You unscrew, anticlockwise, the round plastic back cover from the rear of each headlight unit.
You can now see the back of the H8 bulb.
The H8 is a sort of L shape and should be in a near vertical plane with wires at the top. To unlock the H8 bulb you need to rotate the bulb unit approx 45 degrees - but each side in different directions. The drivers side bulb (RH side) rotates anti-clockwise when viewed from its rear and the passenger side (LH side) rotates clockwise to unlock it.
The LED units dont have an L shape. Compare the size and position of the 3 locking taps with those on the H8 bulb to insert the LED in the correct position to engage the tabs. Then rotate in the reverse direction for each side to lock them in place.

Sorry not pics but hope it helps. Its awkward if you have fat fingers like me. I lifted the top of the air filter box off to be able to see into the RH headlight unit. The LH side is easier"
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep

Cyprio
That's great-thanks for the info.Ill post up how easy it was...or wasn't,ASAP!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
Billyray, here's some more help/info courtesy of Jules59 from another thread (a handy tip in bold, re the driver's side).

"I changed my H8 LEDS on my 2009 E91. Its LCI but uses H8 for the Angel eyes. Access is via the engine bay.

You unscrew, anticlockwise, the round plastic back cover from the rear of each headlight unit.
You can now see the back of the H8 bulb.
The H8 is a sort of L shape and should be in a near vertical plane with wires at the top. To unlock the H8 bulb you need to rotate the bulb unit approx 45 degrees - but each side in different directions. The drivers side bulb (RH side) rotates anti-clockwise when viewed from its rear and the passenger side (LH side) rotates clockwise to unlock it.
The LED units dont have an L shape. Compare the size and position of the 3 locking taps with those on the H8 bulb to insert the LED in the correct position to engage the tabs. Then rotate in the reverse direction for each side to lock them in place.

Sorry not pics but hope it helps. Its awkward if you have fat fingers like me. I lifted the top of the air filter box off to be able to see into the RH headlight unit. The LH side is easier"
I found a pic I had taken using a mirror.
Attached Images

11-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Jules.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
Billyray911
Brigadier General