E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Another cracked alloy

09-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
no golf clubs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0d SE Titanium Silver

Another cracked alloy

Just had my car in for some telematics dianogstics and the headlamp washers not returning flush (car a couple of weeks left of warranty).

I get a phone call from Douglas Park BMW apparently they have found that my nearside rear wheel is cracked. I had the off side replaced last month!

I had no tyre pressure loss and I got them to confirm 100% that the tyre was ok. Previous experience made me suspicious that they said my tyre was faulty. I had the service rep confirm that they would be able to swap over my existing tyre onto the new wheel.

Anyhoo, I have to pay a run out check of £25 which I am not happy with as I thought BMW had stopped charging for this.

I await a call to tell me if the crack is in spec or not....there wasnt a mark or a nick on the rim in anyway as far as I could see.

Also... washer cover fixed and No Fault Found on telematics....I made sure it is on my cars record as I have highlighted that this is an intermittent fault.

Will update shortly, hopefully a new wheel will be fitted and I will be good to go. (**crosses fingers**)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
no golf clubs
Private First Class
Rep

Bad news and I am LIVID!

They say that the crack is out with tolerance at 4mm and therefore must have been subject to pothole or speed bump damage! I can guarantee that it has NOT. I am nuts about avoiding these things!

They want £420 for a new Alloy, any advice appreciated. At this point I feel like trading the car somewhere, overreaction may be but this is ridiculous!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Ask the dealer to contact BMW UK for a goodwill gesture,remind them that the car is still under the manufacturers 3yr warranty period.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
takumichinoku
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I've been told the same thing. Same wheel same cracks. Absolute bollocks IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
no golf clubs
Private First Class
Rep

Called the helpline number on this forum, nice chap but sticking to the run out test is required and 2mm else they wont entertain it.

I will try another dealer for a second opinion, this really is an awful situation. If I buy a new genuine wheel at £420 this could happen as I drive off the forecourt. If I chop all wheels out for something else it is megabucks. I have a set of 18" winter alloys and tyres in my garage, I think I may just get these on early, it really is sickening.

Shame, I love the car really, but this is the kind of random expense and untenable situation that is unnacceptable. I KNOW that I did not hit any potholes recently. I have been anal about protecting these wheels.

Going to try another garage and see if they have a different view.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
no golf clubs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Ask the dealer to contact BMW UK for a goodwill gesture,remind them that the car is still under the manufacturers 3yr warranty period.
BTW they say at 4mm they wont entertain that as they ascertain it MUST have been a pothole, or a speed bump or something like that!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by no golf clubs View Post
BTW they say at 4mm they wont entertain that as they ascertain it MUST have been a pothole, or a speed bump or something like that!
Typical c*ntish attitude from BMW,you'd have thought with all the negative press they have had over the cracked wheels situation, and the latest fiasco over the OBD thefts, they would be a bit more understanding towards their customer base.

I'd put your winter wheels on,and get the cracked wheel weld repaired,there is absolutely nothing wrong with this method,despite what you may read.

Good luck

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

That's bad luck fella.

Out of interest, are they 225 or 313 wheels?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
no golf clubs
Private First Class
Rep

I think they are the 225 wheels.

At least I didnt get charged the run out fee when I collected the car.

Still no tyre pressure warning light on, but I guess that it is in the post, so to speak.

Now I have to evaluate my options

1) try another dealer for a second opinion and hopefully more helpful attitude.
2) buy a new wheel
3) buy a new wheel and replace ALL run flats.
4) change to my winter wheels and tyres combo now.
5) look for gumree/ ebay options that are not susceptible to this weakness.
6) get the offending wheel repaired
7) sell the car on and get away from BMW (the nuclear option).

All thoughts and opinions welcome.

Last edited by no golf clubs; 09-18-2012 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-Mv4-19...item3a79c5af5d

This one states it's genuine,however it also states the offset as ET27,it should be ET39,worth checking if you're interested.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-INCH-GE...item19d4aa6550

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
no golf clubs
Private First Class
Rep

^^ thanks for the above, they don't look the same as mine which are I am pretty 225's. the first link above looks like a polished finish.

I dont think I can consider having these wheels on my car going forward, I will be driving round every slight crack in the road like Button at Monaco. Reckon I have to seek different wheels and may need to get some copies as I doubt my budget will allow for a £2k swap out.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by no golf clubs View Post
^^ thanks for the above, they don't look the same as mine which are I am pretty 225's. the first link above looks like a polished finish.

I dont think I can consider having these wheels on my car going forward, I will be driving round every slight crack in the road like Button at Monaco. Reckon I have to seek different wheels and may need to get some copies as I doubt my budget will allow for a £2k swap out.
Bit puzzled now,as both the Ebay links are MV4 alloys which are '225' wheels.

Are your wheels 18" or 19"?

Are these the same as yours?

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/32096...bar&adtype=pla

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

If I were you, I'd ask the BMW dealer to replace the original wheel.
If the wheel was outwith the tolerance for replacement, therefore it is OK to go on the car. I doubt if the Dealer will go into print and say that the wheel is safe!! I'd then go aftermarket, get 4 new wheels and stuff BMW. The Dealer took off your perfectly serviceable wheel to gain profit. They must know the tolerances BMW work to - they are, after all, agents for BMW - so they should know what they are looking for and advise accordingly, not just change your wheel and hold you to ransom.

My 2p!!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
no golf clubs
Private First Class
Rep

Actually mine are just like the second one. The first looks polish but it could just be the pic.

bmw glasgow just refitted my wheel, no pressure loss (yet)....They say at 4mm they won't even approach bmw.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Check my post a page or two back on main thread, BMW said the runout test had been scrapped and they were replacing regardless - that came after watchdog, i would fight it
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #16
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'd fight it, they said the test was scrapped after watchdog, from the top of BMW:

BMW's Corporate Communications Manager Wieland Bruch said: "The root cause why these wheels crack to a higher degree in the UK whereas they are not conspicuous in other countries, is still under investigation."Customers who had visited their dealer earlier and had their wheels inspected will not need to do so again. Rather, they should just call the 0800 number."Customers experiencing a cracked alloy for the first time will be asked to see their local dealer for inspection," he added.The company has now scrapped the original test which it used to decide whether the alloys had suffered a major road impact. Wieland Bruch told Watchdog: "This restriction does no longer apply. We are having a closer look at all cracked wheels now, independently of the 0.3mm variation."BMW's customer helpline is 0800 777 129.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #17
no golf clubs
Private First Class
Rep

^^^ called that number. 2mm and run out charged apply.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 02:37 AM   #18
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Did you quote their Corporate Comms Manager and ask specifically if that is no longer the case? Seems iffy to me to go back on a very public promise - I'd still push it personally, kick it up the food chain until you have in writing that the decision to abolish the test was reversed and ask why that was
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #19
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
As I understood it they had scraped the run out test as long the wheel showed no outward sign of damage / impact?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #20
no golf clubs
Private First Class
Rep

Going to try another dealer but they are saying its 4mm cracked. Therefore this apparently shows that greater damage has been done by a pot hole or the like. Personally I think this is an utter disgrace I did NOT hit any frigging pothole and it just shows how crappy these rims are. I am seriously considering a move away from BMW Now.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #21
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

just get one off ebay.. this is very unlucky
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #22
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

to all you wondering if there is a design flaw... YES there is as you can see this brand new 225 style compared to a one date stamped August 27, 2009

http://www.photobucket.com/19inch
Appreciate 0