E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > shop who has installed and understands HFS-4

07-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP e92 335i

shop who has installed and understands HFS-4

I know I know not another damn HFS-4 thread, but I guess this kit is harder to install than I or my shop thought. Here my problem the I have the howerton twin tank trunk set up with the standard hfs-4 unit it is now completely installed. I am now currently waiting for a tune, and meanwhile have been driving the car with the flow set low and 50/50 meth in the tank. The system sometimes down not turn off when I turn the car off n I hear the pump on at all times (not know of this is normal) and one time when I turned the car off I saw the flow netters jump up n it started injecting with the car off? Id really like to go to a shop who has experiance with my exact kit to take a look over it and possibly tune it.

Last edited by 3-Serious; 07-10-2012 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkg37s View Post
I know I know not another damn HFS-4 thread, but I guess this kit is harder to install than I or my shop thought. Here my problem the I have the howerton twin tank trunk set up with the standard hfs-4 unit it is now completely installed. I am now currently waiting for a tune, and meanwhile have been driving the car with the flow set low and 50/50 meth in the tank. The system sometimes down not turn off when I turn the car off n I hear the pump on at all times (not know of this is normal) and one time when I turned the car off I saw the flow netters jump up n it started injecting with the car off? Id really like to go to a shop who has experiance with my exact kit to take a look over it and possibly tune it.
aqua mist?

prime motoring link here, they are actually working very closely with the distributors of aquamist.

i mean, alex is there almost every other day lol, great guy.

tell them marty with the black 335i e90 lci sent ya.
      07-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post
aqua mist?

prime motoring link here, they are actually working very closely with the distributors of aquamist.

i mean, alex is there almost every other day lol, great guy.

tell them marty with the black 335i e90 lci sent ya.

I'll shoot them over an email, yeah its acquamist this kit seems to be the kind where.experiance with it is key! .And thanks!
      07-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep

Quote:
I'll shoot them over an email, yeah its acquamist this kit seems to be the kind where.experiance with it is key! .And thanks!
no doubt homie, mikes good people, hes the one that works on my car!

plus, if theres an issue, lol alex is 10-15 minutes away most days.

ps its best to call, i can pm u a number if you like.
      07-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Hfs-4 is a royal pain in the ass, be prepared to splice into your ecu. If you are going to pay someone, make sure they do it right because you're splicing wires you only get one shot with.
      07-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

It is not that hard to install. The easiest way is to buy the dme wires like you see in the piggy backs. It takes me about 15 minutes to wire it in or take it out if i need to. Just make jumpers. I'd offer to do it for you but I am in DC.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I ordered jumpers with my kit so no splicing an the kit is installed my shop is just having a hard time with it for some reason. So I was thinking maybe a shop who has done it before could over look the install job and help set failsafes and what not.
      07-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

If the pump is on and lights are going up during key out - it is not installed properly. The diagram is really straight forward. I have been wiring full standalones for a long time but the diagram on Jeff Howertons website makes it literally color by number style easy. I'd recommend going to a better shop. I wish I was closer as I usually don't even charge to help out locals
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLow335i View Post
If the pump is on and lights are going up during key out - it is not installed properly. The diagram is really straight forward. I have been wiring full standalones for a long time but the diagram on Jeff Howertons website makes it literally color by number style easy. I'd recommend going to a better shop. I wish I was closer as I usually don't even charge to help out locals
Yeah the pump never turns off! I talk to my shop today and there having another board sent from acquamist? It's been nothing bit a headache so far I didn't think it would be this much work! It's been 3 weeks still not flowing properly. I want to maybe try another shop bit I don't want to step on this shops toes there a friends friend.
      07-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep

theres a point where u need to walk though imho
      07-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post
theres a point where u need to walk though imho
I know I know and I just found out that the shop you recommended was friends with my shop! By the way I emailed them and they told me to give them a call which I might wind up doing.
      07-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
woptang22
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3

Quote:
Yeah the pump never turns off! I talk to my shop today and there having another board sent from acquamist? It's been nothing bit a headache so far I didn't think it would be this much work! It's been 3 weeks still not flowing properly. I want to maybe try another shop bit I don't want to step on this shops toes there a friends friend.
This sounds all too familiar. My car has been at a shop for 3 weeks awaiting the meth install and pro tune. THe meth kit is installed but as soon as you start the car, the meth starts flowing and doesnt stop until you shut it off with the power. THey spoke to aquamist and they are sending a new board saying the one that was installed was bad. By the way mine is the HFS-3 not HFS-4. THis is weird that this is happening. The shop my car is at has been a aquamist dealer for years and has their name on the aquamist kit made for the Nissan GTR. So I know they know how to install a meth kit. But just confused as to why this is taking such a long time.
      07-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #13
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
This sounds all too familiar. My car has been at a shop for 3 weeks awaiting the meth install and pro tune. THe meth kit is installed but as soon as you start the car, the meth starts flowing and doesnt stop until you shut it off with the power. THey spoke to aquamist and they are sending a new board saying the one that was installed was bad. By the way mine is the HFS-3 not HFS-4. THis is weird that this is happening. The shop my car is at has been a aquamist dealer for years and has their name on the aquamist kit made for the Nissan GTR. So I know they know how to install a meth kit. But just confused as to why this is taking such a long time.
Yeah I'm no genius but the instructions look pretty straight forward! And yeah my pump stays on at all times! From the time I start it up until I turn it off and when I turn the car off sometimes it wont go off unless I turn the car back on then back off. I'm probably going to give this other shop a shot, and will call them tomorrow. If I make and head way Ill keep you posted, and if you make any please let me know! This kit is driving me crazy If i knew it would of been this big of a pain in the ass I would of just ordered the JB4 with its meth kit and had it work with my cobb!
      07-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I'm no genius but the instructions look pretty straight forward! And yeah my pump stays on at all times! From the time I start it up until I turn it off and when I turn the car off sometimes it wont go off unless I turn the car back on then back off. I'm probably going to give this other shop a shot, and will call them tomorrow. If I make and head way Ill keep you posted, and if you make any please let me know! This kit is driving me crazy If i knew it would of been this big of a pain in the ass I would of just ordered the JB4 with its meth kit and had it work with my cobb!
Yes its really stressful when your car is sitting at a shop for a month waiting for a meth kit and tune. But I guess thats what happens sometimes. I know people have issues with meth kits, but not 3-4 weeks worth. Im not sure what to do at this point. Im kind of confused as how two different shops would have the same issues, and aquamist sends them new circuit boards. My shop was supposed to get the new board today but I dont know if they did or not. It just seems like everyday something new comes up and the car doesnt get done. But Im sure when its all figured out, things will be nice. But If I hear anything Ill keep you informed. Please do the same if you find a fix.
      07-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #15
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep

Quote:
I know I know and I just found out that the shop you recommended was friends with my shop! By the way I emailed them and they told me to give them a call which I might wind up doing.
pm me the name?
      07-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22 View Post
Yes its really stressful when your car is sitting at a shop for a month waiting for a meth kit and tune. But I guess thats what happens sometimes. I know people have issues with meth kits, but not 3-4 weeks worth. Im not sure what to do at this point. Im kind of confused as how two different shops would have the same issues, and aquamist sends them new circuit boards. My shop was supposed to get the new board today but I dont know if they did or not. It just seems like everyday something new comes up and the car doesnt get done. But Im sure when its all figured out, things will be nice. But If I hear anything Ill keep you informed. Please do the same if you find a fix.
Well I talk to Richard from acquamist great guy! He told me that the two places he knows that hey know his system are Akuma and EFI logics. I also asked about your car cause I'm pretty sure your cars at Akuma and he told me that in your case it was the board it self. So he gave me a few things to check over myself and I will be callin Akuma in a little bit to set something up hopeully.
      07-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #17
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well I talk to Richard from acquamist great guy! He told me that the two places he knows that hey know his system are Akuma and EFI logics. I also asked about your car cause I'm pretty sure your cars at Akuma and he told me that in your case it was the board it self. So he gave me a few things to check over myself and I will be callin Akuma in a little bit to set something up hopeully.
Yes my car is at Akuma. They seem like a great bunch of guys that know their stuff. Id recommend them for sure. And after they are done my car they are going to have a group buy for COBB ATP Pro Tuning. So stay tuned for that. My issue is its just taking too long. And I dont mean its Akumas fault. They spent alot of time trying to troubleshoot the issue when it ended up being a bad board. Thats not their fault. But after nearly a month I just want my car back. But Id say check them out, John Shafer and his guys seem to produce nothing but excellent work. Let me know what happens.
      07-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Akuma = COBB ProTuning for the N54 =
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #19
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm going in on tuseday to have my install checked over! Wish me luck and woptang I hope your cars done soon! I can't wait to see your numbers! Hopefully when I bring my car in yours will be done so I can see it.
      07-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm going in on tuseday to have my install checked over! Wish me luck and woptang I hope your cars done soon! I can't wait to see your numbers! Hopefully when I bring my car in yours will be done so I can see it.
Awsome man. Im glad your bringing your car in to Akuma. There are a great bunch of guys. By the way, check out the owner John Shafers background, you wont be disappointed. I actually received an email from John a bit ago with tracking info for my new circuit board and it seems as if it was just delivered. So Im hoping it gets installed asap. Im really looking forward to seeing what they can do with the power. Im just a bit worried about the intake valves being caked up causing less power. Im at almost 40,000 miles and never had a walnut shell blasting. But Im thinking the car will rip......haha
      07-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #21
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Akuma = COBB ProTuning for the N54 =
Dam skippy, lol looks like we have a few BMW guys trying to get some ATP Pro Tuning done at Akuma. Lets keep it going with more tri state area members. I think everyone will be happy in the end.
      07-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #22
woptang22
Major
Rep

John at Akuma is writing the custom map as we speak,. I cant wait. Ill keep everyone posted for results.