E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Good aftermarket Alarm?

08-30-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
SIN_CITY_TROLL
Livin the Dream!
United_States
Rep
Drives: EVERYTHING

Good aftermarket Alarm?

Has anyone installed a good aftermarket alarm in the newer 09+ e90's?

Preferably something simple that wont screw up the factory wires and something where I don't have to carry around another damn key fob...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
giovane
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i, 2008 e70 3.0si

Buy the oem, 260$ in parts, install it by yourself (1hr job if you take it easy) and have it coded by somebody here in the forum. that's the best thing to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car.

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
the OP has a 2011, 2011's do not come prewired for alarms.

OP,
you can get a CAN-BUS alarm system from DEI and it wire taps into the CAN bus system. Its very very basic protection like the factory system. It's just a few wire taps and you'll maintain your factory remote.

I had it installed in my car. i also installed a RemoteKey+ to blink the mirror LED so between the two its about as close as you can get to factory system.

if you need it i can go digging for the DEI model number...
      08-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

3901V or T. V is probably disco.

For a really sweet alarm, you need a 3302X Clifford and the DLPK data interface for the BMW. I'd add the SmartStart module just for notifications.

But that's just me
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
SIN_CITY_TROLL
Livin the Dream!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-737 View Post

OP,
you can get a CAN-BUS alarm system from DEI and it wire taps into the CAN bus system. Its very very basic protection like the factory system. It's just a few wire taps and you'll maintain your factory remote.

I had it installed in my car. i also installed a RemoteKey+ to blink the mirror LED so between the two its about as close as you can get to factory system.

Sounds good to me, thats what I'm looking for. How much did it run you?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
SIN_CITY_TROLL
Livin the Dream!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
3901V or T. V is probably disco.

For a really sweet alarm, you need a 3302X Clifford and the DLPK data interface for the BMW. I'd add the SmartStart module just for notifications.

But that's just me

Just for giggles, do you have a good site to look at these or should I just google it
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
SIN_CITY_TROLL
Livin the Dream!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

OP,

Oh one last thing, does your car "BEEP" now when you lock or unlock. This is the part I hate the most, I can never tell when my car locks...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
The DEI can-bus alarm will chirp if you program it to do so, but its a lock unlock chirp only, and its coming from the alarm siren so it sounds different than the BWM beep. the alarm unit has only very basic features that you can customize. it has no remote so you just use your factory one which is what i was aiming for.

my car does do the BMW Beep on "lock only", it unlocks 'quiet'. but this is a function of the RemoteKey+ module. the RK+ is wired in along with the alarm, it includes a little speaker that does the BMW beep. the RK+ module is configured either through the car or simply by plugging your laptop into the units USB port, opening the program and setting the features exactly how you want them such as; "windows down / up with FOB buttons" "folding mirrors from FOB" "beep on lock only" "beep on unlock only" or beep for both, and a few other settings... it will always flash the mirror LED when the car is locked as well.

the alarm model... look for either the DEI 3901T / 3902T / 3903T
the manual i have saved in my phone is for those units so my version must be one of the above. im out of the country, when i get home i will see exactly which one i have...
VP eluded to the fact it might be discontinued though

The RK+ is made by Mods4Cars you can google them. they are a fantastic company who do a really good job supporting their products. They do stuff for Mercedes Benz ect... They are headquartered right here in NJ too.

the alarm and the RK+ are both pretty cheap, and will come in less than the BMW alarm kits ( i think) or close to it. the DEI can-bus alarm will run you $200 or less, and the RK+ i think is around $250....
      09-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

3901T would be correct. The 3901C/V may be the disco'ed ones ...

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #10
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
3901T would be correct. The 3901C/V may be the disco'ed ones ...
lol this
thx Don
the man himself!
      09-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #11
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
as an aside...
and VP eluded to this...
you can go for a hubba bubba real alarm with smart start. i actually have the 'convenience' side of this on my other car but not the alarm module. for the same or less money you can have a car that you can auto start / stop, and control from your smart phone. your car will text you updates if the alarm is triggered, gps locating and more! its really, really cool.

but with that alarm system comes its own remote, you'll have to stash a keyfob buried under the dash for the car to read for auto starting. you'll also have to install its proprietary LED somewhere maybe in the mirror windshield trim. the 'package' is way cool and has every feature imaginable but i didnt want to go that crazy while the car was still under warranty.

if you picked this route you could keep the factory BMW keyfob, ditch the DEI one, and use your smart phone for all advanced features.... (just thinking out loud)
      09-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #12
KN| BMW
Lieutenant
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: E90LCI to GTRS5 WideBody M3

Any detail or website available?? Im also interested in it! thx
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...products&cat=3

http://www.xpresskit.com/product.aspx?productid=22
      09-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #14
SIN_CITY_TROLL
Livin the Dream!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
as an aside...
and VP eluded to this...
you can go for a hubba bubba real alarm with smart start. i actually have the 'convenience' side of this on my other car but not the alarm module. for the same or less money you can have a car that you can auto start / stop, and control from your smart phone. your car will text you updates if the alarm is triggered, gps locating and more! its really, really cool.

but with that alarm system comes its own remote, you'll have to stash a keyfob buried under the dash for the car to read for auto starting. you'll also have to install its proprietary LED somewhere maybe in the mirror windshield trim. the 'package' is way cool and has every feature imaginable but i didnt want to go that crazy while the car was still under warranty.

if you picked this route you could keep the factory BMW keyfob, ditch the DEI one, and use your smart phone for all advanced features.... (just thinking out loud)
HMMM that sounds pretty sweeeeetttt. You mentioned the factory warranty... would this void it? Also how much did all this cost if you dont mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #15
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [7.26]
i believe that if your taking the car in for service there is a jumper that can be moved to make the whole system invisible. But i do know that BMW does not take stashing an extra key fob under the dash lightly. our cars are very secure with the system theyve set up, when you start messing with that its safe to say all bets are off.

When my warranty is up, i plan on doing this, but our cars heat up so quickly i havent found it to be a big inconvenience yet. however, added range would be nice.

I love being able to control my truck with my iphone or the long range remote, but warming up the truck is a priority because thats the vehicle i use in VT when its five below zero in the early AM.

I did not get the alarm features added into my truck just the convenience side, 'flashing alarm led', remote start with smart start ect, and it was around $300 i think. but the system as a whole, iphone integration is very polished, and the supplied remote is not obtrusive. these are not the systems of yesteryear, they've come a long way.

my reservations as it applied to our cars was that it was a bit more involved than i was willing to gamble.

after work im usually walking to my car (or truck)with about 50 pounds of luggage, in both my hands. I like being able to unlock (manage) my truck from the comfort of the employee bus right from my phone. Not setting my luggage down and fidgeting for an unlock button in the rain / snow is really nice, something i cant do with my 328.

Last edited by B-737; 09-09-2011 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #16
SIN_CITY_TROLL
Livin the Dream!
United_States
Rep

thanks for all your time and knowledge Very helpful
Appreciate 0