E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Tomtom mount (not vent clip or windscreen)

01-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
Zagor
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330i Touring

Garage List
Tomtom mount (not vent clip or windscreen)

(I wrote this text as a comment in another thread, but figured with pictures it deserved its' own thread.)

I've found a nice Tomtom holder made by a company called Brodit. It is a bracket called Pro Clip which you mount on the frame around the air vent, rather than in the air vent itself. This results in very secure mount. See pictures

In combination with that bracket, I got their tilt swivel tomtom holder. I then promply removed the swiveling part and instead screwed the tomtom fixture part directly to the bracket. This results in a very shallow mount that has no vibrations whatsoever. It can't tilt, but sits at a perfect angle so there is no need to.

This is what the mount looks like:

I removed the swivel part and added a third screw at the top, for extra stability:
Name:  brodit1.jpg
Views: 3070
Size:  53.9 KB

It's not a vent clip-on:
Name:  brodit2.jpg
Views: 2970
Size:  52.0 KB

No controls are obstructed:
Name:  brodit4.jpg
Views: 3286
Size:  46.2 KB

Very secure mount and very close to the dash:
Name:  brodit5.jpg
Views: 3189
Size:  46.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

i love tomtom, i had one in italy one time, and i was on this brand new highway that it didnt know about, and it kept telling me to make turns while i was on overpasses! it wanted me to jump off the overpass!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
bimmerFUD
Free Your Heel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335xi

Very nice! Looks like Brodit has a similar mount for all sorts of devices, such as Garmin GPSes, PDAs, etc. The mount is not limited to tomtoms.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
BartMack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe, 06 MINI CooperS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post
(I wrote this text as a comment in another thread, but figured with pictures it deserved its' own thread.)

I've found a nice Tomtom holder made by a company called Brodit. It is a bracket called Pro Clip which you mount on the frame around the air vent, rather than in the air vent itself. This results in very secure mount. See pictures

In combination with that bracket, I got their tilt swivel tomtom holder. I then promply removed the swiveling part and instead screwed the tomtom fixture part directly to the bracket. This results in a very shallow mount that has no vibrations whatsoever. It can't tilt, but sits at a perfect angle so there is no need to.

This is what the mount looks like:

I removed the swivel part and added a third screw at the top, for extra stability:
Attachment 55376

It's not a vent clip-on:
Attachment 55377

No controls are obstructed:
Attachment 55379

Very secure mount and very close to the dash:
Attachment 55380
Wow-- thank you so much for the tip!!

I ordered a TomTom GO700 holder for both my MINI Cooper S and my 335ci. That suction cup thingy that it comes with is a nightmare lol

On a trip last year I had the top down on the Cooper and the suction cup came loose, and the whole unit slid across the dashboard and nearly went out the passenger side of the car

2007 335i Coupe TiAg w/black+silver interior & sport package-Feb or March delivery ...
2006 MINI CooperS vert, Pepper White, Aerokit, ASA wheels & Helix 15% reduction pulley and CAI, Wetokole seatcovers, Sirius & other bits
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
shutterbug
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Do you find satellitle acquisition to be as fast as placing the device directly under the windshield? Also, does it bother you that the AC vent is now completely obstructed? I'm thinking about getting this for my Garmin Nuvi...
      01-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
BartMack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe, 06 MINI CooperS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
Do you find satellitle acquisition to be as fast as placing the device directly under the windshield? Also, does it bother you that the AC vent is now completely obstructed? I'm thinking about getting this for my Garmin Nuvi...
lol.. I don't have either the 335ci or the mounting bracket yet.. so I have no idea. It's gotta be better than a suction cup tho!

Zagor-?

2007 335i Coupe TiAg w/black+silver interior & sport package-Feb or March delivery ...
2006 MINI CooperS vert, Pepper White, Aerokit, ASA wheels & Helix 15% reduction pulley and CAI, Wetokole seatcovers, Sirius & other bits
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 11:54 PM   #7
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I'd put it on the passenger side. Why block MY side of the A/C
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 04:43 AM   #8
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Good one ... All the brodit clips are excellent.

I had the same set up in my e60

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #9
rob72
/dev/random
Rep
Drives: .

Of course
1) you loose the airvent
2) you still need to run the power cable, as the internal battery does not last very long

My wife has the exact same TomTom for her car, and I agree the suction cup, well, it sucks. Numerous times has the unit just fallen from the windscreen
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
Zagor
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I notice no difference in satellite acquisition. In fact, the gps still has the windscreen straight above it so I wouldn't expect any degraded performance.

As you see in the photos, the vent is not completely obstructed. It still lets plenty of air out, you just can't use it to direct "jets" of air. I don't do that very often anyway, so I'm not bothered by the obstruction.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
Zagor
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
I'd put it on the passenger side. Why block MY side of the A/C
Because the driver side air vent is a more comfortable position to have your GPS. If you want more air, simply "steal" the passenger airvent.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
shutterbug
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Nice tip. Just ordered my Proclip for the E90 and Garmin device! Just curious, do you ever remove the clip for safety reasons, such as not wanting to tip off potential thieves that you have something in the car? How easy would it be to do remove?
      01-23-2007, 01:39 AM   #13
Zagor
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just curious, do you ever remove the clip for safety reasons, such as not wanting to tip off potential thieves that you have something in the car? How easy would it be to do remove?
I always remove the GPS, but never the clip. If you think about it an empty clip doesn't mean there is a gps in the car, it merely indicates there has been a gps in the car.

It's fairly easy to remove the clip with the included "gap opener" wedge, but not so easy I'd want to do it every day.
Appreciate 0