E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Low Coolant

10-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
neovb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Low Coolant

Recently my car threw the "low coolant" warning. I called the dealer to make a service appointment, but the guy just said that "its normal" and that all BMWs go through coolant/oil. I was a bit skeptical, seeing as my car only has about 15k miles, but there wasnt much I could do. When I filled up the coolant, it took about 2 quarts to get it back up to level.

Has anyone else experienced low coolant levels? As far as I can tell, I dont see any smoke and there aren't any leaks that I can note on the garage floor.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

dont listen to the SA . take it to the dealer and have it checked, I havent hear anything on this, play it safe!!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

Using 2 quarts is not normal. There is minor loss of coolant over time as when the system occassionaly burps vapor out after building up pressure (cold to hot) some coolant is carried out. This is usually noticed when it turns cold and it triggers a low coolant warning at most once a year. But should only need to add a pint or so for this, not quarts.

Was the cooling system ever worked on?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Kamando
Captain
Rep
Drives: -

Back in September of 2010 I went to start my 335d and got the message "insufficient coolant engine damage may occur". I turned the car off and looked in the reservoir - bone dry! I called BMW Roadside and my car was flat bedded 90miles to the nearest dealership. Turned out to be a blown hose going to the auxiliary radiator. Never had a low coolant message or anything prior or since.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
neovb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Nope, the car has never been in for any service (other than the usual oil changes). And it didnt give me that critical failure message, just a simple "youre low on coolant".

I guess I'll call the dealer and see if they can take it in and check it out. I figured if it was a leaky hose or something like that there should be some visible stains on my garage floor....
Appreciate 0