E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding cigarette lighter power mode

12-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Coding cigarette lighter power mode

Cars have a couple different power modes - off, accessory, on, engine started, etc. And newer bimmers it's even worse, adding sleep and deep sleep to those (maybe more)? I'd love a chart if someone had it, but that's not why I'm here.

What I'd like to know is, has anyone ever coded what power modes the 12v outlet is active in? The reason I ask is that I just made a USB power injection cord for my Y cable so that the phone will properly charge when it's plugged in (well, it'll only go up to 500mA draw, which isn't full charge rate, but it's a start for sure), but the outlet is unpowered in all but on and engine start modes. So if I get in the car and plug in the phone, the cable and phone are drawing power from the MULF, the phone will only draw 200mA and display "charging not supported," and once the car is on and there's power to the charger is present, the phone won't start drawing >200mA without unplugging and replugging it.

Basically, I'd love to code the car so that the outlet is on if the key is in, so that I can go

unlock>enter>key in>phone in>start>drive

rather than

unlock>enter>key in>push ignition>phone in>start>drive

For that matter, I'd love to turn the outlet on in "off" mode (and have it turn off in sleep and deep sleep) so that I can go

unlock>enter>phone in>key in>start>drive

and never have to worry about in which order I plug in the phone. But it'd be pretty rational that such a thing wouldn't be supported for the sake of battery drain.

Although I suppose that's not really true, since the car enters sleep about a minute after the doors get locked if it's currently in off. so maybe that could be coded.

Anyway, now I'm just rambling. Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

might be easier to just get one of those ciggie lighter socket extensions and hook up to a constantly on power point at the fuse box.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well, or rewire the socket to one of those always on points. But that sort of defeats the purpose - I'd rather not have it come back to bite me with a dead battery when I leave something else in and forget about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

you could get one of this things.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Magic-...-/160707547931

it allows you to set the cut off time (after engine is off) or if low voltage (preset by yourself) is detected from car battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Good suggestion, but put it this way: it's not worth spending more money on. And anyway, I'd probably sooner just modify my MULF with a stronger 5v rail.
Appreciate 0