E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

05-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #7723
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
Anyone want to take a look at my logs I posted couple pages back? Thanks.
did anyone help you?

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #7724
jgoldsmith729
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
I'm happy to check these logs out after work, if your trims were indeed negative throughout the pull, that's certainly a good start.
That would be great. Correction, they were not negative throughout, but they did not exceed 34 when combined LT + ST.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #7725
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
did anyone help you?
i'd appreciate someone taking a look at mine...post 94:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696472
      05-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #7726
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I've been running stg 2+fmic fornthenlast week or so and just switched back to stg1+fmic, both sport on az91 with a couple gallons of e85. How much stronger should going FBO feel. I need to log when I get back from vacation but at the moment stage 1 just feels faster, or I can't feel much of a difference. Maybe I'm pulling timing like crazy and need to increase e85 content. How much of a difference did you guys feel? I'm fmic, dp , cbe, panel filter.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #7727
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykayelemenohpee View Post
I've been running stg 2+fmic fornthenlast week or so and just switched back to stg1+fmic, both sport on az91 with a couple gallons of e85. How much stronger should going FBO feel. I need to log when I get back from vacation but at the moment stage 1 just feels faster, or I can't feel much of a difference. Maybe I'm pulling timing like crazy and need to increase e85 content. How much of a difference did you guys feel? I'm fmic, dp , cbe, panel filter.
S2+ Sport is definitely more agg. than S1+ Sport. are you getting misfires? like you said, you are probably pulling timing like crazy, but not enough to misfire. 3 gallons of E85 should do the trick......but.....

DO A LOG...

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #7728
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
S2+ Sport is definitely more agg. than S1+ Sport. are you getting misfires? like you said, you are probably pulling timing like crazy, but not enough to misfire. 3 gallons of E85 should do the trick......but.....

DO A LOG...

I knowwwwwwwwwwwwww. Ive not thrown a single code and the car feels strong. I'll be driving it to Vegas for the weekend and when I'm back on Monday I'll do some logging in mexico.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #7729
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoldsmith729 View Post
Thanks for the help with parameters for datalogging. I went out tonight and did three 3rd gear pulls on COBB OTS E30 maps (v402). All pulls were done with the A/C off and DTC completely disabled. I have a 135i with the following mods:

-DCI
-DP
-FMIC
-Cobb

The weather was 81* and 80% RH. The first pull was uphill, the second was relatively flat, and the third was flat but the on an elevated section of highway with expansion joints causing a slightly rough ride.

I've recently replaced the clutch with a Spec 2+ and the turbos were replaced under warranty. The valves were cleaned 10k miles ago and plugs shortly thereafter. I put 4.25 gallons of e85 and topped off with 93 (~33% ethanol content).

I've attached the datalogs as txt files and was hoping someone could plot / provide insight. I appreciated any help y'all can provide!
Looks good, I wouldn't use much more E85 than that though, your LPFP is right at the limit where it's going to really fail to provide sufficient PSI. Everything else looks pretty clean though, I say keep running it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
i'd appreciate someone taking a look at mine...post 94:
I only looked at the flat ground log, but it looks pretty good for E30. Trims are OK, HPFP is keeping up, but you can see the LPFP struggling (not at all a surprise). Timing corrections are very clean with the added E85, and overall timing looks strong. AFRs are fine, boost is hitting requested amounts. I wouldn't try much more E85 than you're currently running, the LPFP is just about at the limit right now.
Looks OK overall. Are you running E85? Timing and boost look like a pretty modest map, AFRs take a second to richen up, but they're great at peak boost and i've seen a billion JB logs with pretty lean conditions. Charge temps?

Edit: I should add I only ask about e85 because you're logging trims, when the timing and boost look like a +1 or 2 map.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII

Last edited by 135Pats; 05-23-2013 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #7730
Florida650iGC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
What besides a better intake & CP/BV you consider FBO?

It's my understanding you'r already there forgoing those 2 items, and the CP/BOV wont even help power at all...

The Intake I can see maybe holding you back with FMIC, DP, CBE and S2+FMIC since everything else is so much higher flow than stock...
      05-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #7731
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335XI///M View Post
What besides a better intake & CP/BV you consider FBO?

It's my understanding you'r already there forgoing those 2 items, and the CP/BOV wont even help power at all...

The Intake I can see maybe holding you back with FMIC, DP, CBE and S2+FMIC since everything else is so much higher flow than stock...
CP and intake are all I'm missing. No boost leaks so no need to change cp yet. Held 18.5 psi fine. From what nice read the stock intake with a high flown filter is pretty decent. Since I'm in AZ I've been avoiding a DCI setup. Once I log I'll know form sure but I'd bet octane is my limiting factor and I should try 3 or 4 gallons of e85. Should post some logs Monday night.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #7732
Florida650iGC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
CP and intake are all I'm missing. No boost leaks so no need to change cp yet. Held 18.5 psi fine. From what nice read the stock intake with a high flown filter is pretty decent. Since I'm in AZ I've been avoiding a DCI setup. Once I log I'll know form sure but I'd bet octane is my limiting factor and I should try 3 or 4 gallons of e85. Should post some logs Monday night.
Lol, nice we should meet up and have a beer man. I'm in Phoenix, also running the stock box with a aFe dry drop in filter, mine loves about 3.1 Gal of E85 + the rest crummy AZ91 once the gas light comes on. I'm running the S1+ Sport maps and the car seems to love it.

Did you notice a major difference with the DP & CBE? On my old A4 1.8t the damn downpipe made as big a difference as the tune did!
      05-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #7733
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol, nice we should meet up and have a beer man. I'm in Phoenix, also running the stock box with a aFe dry drop in filter, mine loves about 3.1 Gal of E85 + the rest crummy AZ91 once the gas light comes on. I'm running the S1+ Sport maps and the car seems to love it.

Did you notice a major difference with the DP & CBE? On my old A4 1.8t the damn downpipe made as big a difference as the tune did!
These motors get very octane hungry as you crank things up, E85 is so awesome

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #7734
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42
Quote:
Anyone want to take a look at my logs I posted couple pages back? Thanks.
did anyone help you?
Not yet but my cars at lt so ill have to make new logs when it comes back thanks though!

I could post my old logs but won't do me any good now.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #7735
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
nice my stock charge pipe holding up as well and im running e30 map! Good to hear. when do you guys think a cp replacement will be needed?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #7736
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
nice my stock charge pipe holding up as well and im running e30 map! Good to hear. when do you guys think a cp replacement will be needed?
The stock CP's cheapo rubber is of pretty poor design for high boost. I'd recommend changing it out as your next mod. Some guys get away with it for a log time but for some guys it leads to an occasional boost leak that becomes hard to track down.
      05-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #7737
Florida650iGC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
These motors get very octane hungry as you crank things up, E85 is so awesome
LPFP Aside you do you think long term it'll f*** anything else expensive up> Injectors, Lines, Etc?

Mine loves a couple gals per tank, but I dont know about running it on a permanent basis... Then again, i'm sure it's not good to run a map which timing retards out from too low octane either... What a long term quandary i'm in lol

Wish we just had good old 93 here in AZ
      05-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #7738
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LPFP Aside you do you think long term it'll f*** anything else expensive up> Injectors, Lines, Etc?

Mine loves a couple gals per tank, but I dont know about running it on a permanent basis... Then again, i'm sure it's not good to run a map which timing retards out from too low octane either... What a long term quandary i'm in lol

Wish we just had good old 93 here in AZ
I'm no expert when it comes to Ethanol, but anecdotal evidence suggests the car can handle pretty aggressive mixes without trouble, assuming it can keep up with the fueling demands (LPFP as you mentioned, and HPFP at stronger mixes). In Brazil all gas is minimum E20, and to my knowledge BMW did nothing to the fuel systems of N54s shipped over there, so they appear to be comfortable with at least modest mixes. Alot of people here run their cars with E30-greater, and you see very few instances of failure linked to ethanol usage (in fairness i'm not sure how one could conclusively link a hardware failure to ethanol). Tuners are also extremely receptive to tuning with it, though that's more for performance than anything. I wouldn't worry about it man.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #7739
blakdout335
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i LCI

I've been seeing a lot of talk about issues after flashing with Cobb. Just a "weird" coincidence or is something up? I've been seeing a lot of Misfire talk, so I am scared to flash mine right now. Just got the Cobb AP a couple weeks ago, and waited to install my FMIC first. Almost done but the AA FMIC is not exactly bolt on, running into some problems with fitment. Would love to hear some feedback on the AP.
      05-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #7740
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakdout335 View Post
I've been seeing a lot of talk about issues after flashing with Cobb. Just a "weird" coincidence or is something up? I've been seeing a lot of Misfire talk, so I am scared to flash mine right now. Just got the Cobb AP a couple weeks ago, and waited to install my FMIC first. Almost done but the AA FMIC is not exactly bolt on, running into some problems with fitment. Would love to hear some feedback on the AP.
Ir's not exactly coincidence... nor is it exactly the tunes fault. A tune pushes the car much harder than the stock mapping and if there is a weak point(plugs, coil or injector) than it will probably be exposed. However, aside from common maintenance items, the risk of something going wrong is EXTREMELEY low.

Long story short: install the AP and enjoy it. If you get a misfire then order a new set of plugs
      05-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #7741
JLiusifer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 & 2011 BMW X3

I replaced my plugs and the coil from the misfiring cylinder. No more problems!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #7742
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakdout335 View Post
Aenema covered it, id just add that the underlying values of OTS maps are rock solid, at this point Cobb has had half a decade to understand the DME and the n54s boost/load logic. I have never heard of the actual tune causing a critical motor failure, if a plug or coil etc "fails" its just a result of a worn out part. You cant really blame the tune for that. Obviously when you mess with ATR, youre on your own and results will vary depending on what you mess with.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #7743
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nema
Quote:
The stock CP's cheapo rubber is of pretty poor design for high boost. I'd recommend changing it out as your next mod. Some guys get away with it for a log time but for some guys it leads to an occasional boost leak that becomes hard to track down.
Well I guess im running stock till I have a boost leak haha
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #7744
blakdout335
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i LCI

Not to jack the post or subject, but has anyone installed an AA FMIC before? PITA as it was not direct bolt on replacement, like the HPF FMIC I saw. new hoses and pipe needed and not easy fitment.