E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Looking for Whitbread

03-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #23
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
Sure, not everyone has a budget for marketing. Especially folks who moonlight or are just starting a business, I was there at one time. But when your running a business as your main gig, and want to grow your business being able to reach your potential customers is a big deal. Business cards, websites, brochures, Facebook, logos, fonts all take time and money to develop. Heck I used to spend hundreds a month on google ads. In fact SEO marketers will tell you exactly how much key word ads cost. In my case in my market area it was estimated I need to spend $20K a month to make sure my page was at the top on google search results, and my ads were being shown to my target customers. Let that price tag sink in for a moment, I was shocked too.

Agreed, word of mouth is a powerful marketing tactic. However, it is not the only way to advertise. You miss out on connecting with potential customers who aren't part of your network. Not exploiting other marketing avenues leaves a lot off potential customers off the table.

I'll take me as an example. I've been participating in these forums for years as a D owner. I have no idea what whitbread sells, but I do buy stuff all the time from forum recommendations. He's missing out on me as a potential customer, and I'm sure a lot of others folks besides myself. Especially the casual browser.
I'm not saying you're wrong. Just that people like to invest their money in different ways. Whitbread's bread(lol) and butter is building some badass stuff. Not selling race pipes and vacuum lines. He's currently building an engine for one of our forum members that is going to be one of the fastest E90 335ds on the planet(And likely one of the fastest M57 powered vehicles). That's going to make way more money than selling small parts ever will, especially when his competition is some of the bigger, more well established vendors, like AARodriguez.

It's all opportunity cost. Sure, he could spend that money advertising, but in the end, will he break even because of his advertising? He'd stand a better chance if he wasn't up against some already well-established companies. But it's not likely that the advertising cost will pay off.

I also know of another forum member without a vendor account, and yet almost everyone knows the name.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #24
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
I'll take me as an example. I've been participating in these forums for years as a D owner. I have no idea what whitbread sells, but I do buy stuff all the time from forum recommendations. He's missing out on me as a potential customer, and I'm sure a lot of others folks besides myself. Especially the casual browser.
I see it as the other way around. I'm not a D owner and know of Whitebread. You as a customer should have done better research, asked questions and etc. What 32valves is doing now.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #25
32valves
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Quote:
I see it as the other way around. I'm not a D owner and know of Whitebread. You as a customer should have done better research, asked questions and etc. What 32valves is doing now.
Like he said and whitbread found me and was very knowledgeable about a problem I was having. And I'm thankful of it. I own a 335d and have tdi's still. And he works with both.
Appreciate 1
feuer4277.00
      03-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #26
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Matt doesn't need this forum to reach a loyal and rabid fan base.

Word of mouth has kept Matt extremely busy, and his reputation for quality, expert craftsmanship is why I'll drive 800 miles to his shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #27
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
... his reputation for quality, expert craftsmanship is why I'll drive 800 miles to his shop.
...Twice. In the snow.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #28
ASBSECU E93
Rep

on summer tires....that was the best part
Quote:
Appreciate 1
Torqu3321.50
      03-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #29
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

DWR and I drove to his place 3 hours each way just to meet him and see his new shop. Besides his dedicated work and great knowledge, he's just a super nice guy. I wish the admins wouldn't be so restrictive on who to ban.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #30
ASBSECU E93
Rep

My car about 30 minutes from his house....that's as far as I could make it on PSS tires

Pic of my car the next morning covered in 8" of fresh powder!

FWIW - that's a TDi swapped Mazda truck pulling my little vert....
Attached Images

Quote:
Appreciate 0