E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > AutoX 328i automatic

12-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #1
tdavis42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 328i ZSP AT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
AutoX 328i automatic

Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone with an automatic transmission thinking they can't autox.

If you have a way to shift into second at a dead stop then you can autox. I took my car out yesterday for the first time and had a blast. I have the sport option with steering wheel paddles and did just fine. It actually works out well because in an automatic tranny first gear is useless and you can launch pretty well in second. The biggest benefit is you never need to shift through the whole track, just keep it in second and use the gas to navigate the course.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #2
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis42 View Post
Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone with an automatic transmission thinking they can't autox.

If you have a way to shift into second at a dead stop then you can autox. I took my car out yesterday for the first time and had a blast. I have the sport option with steering wheel paddles and did just fine. It actually works out well because in an automatic tranny first gear is useless and you can launch pretty well in second. The biggest benefit is you never need to shift through the whole track, just keep it in second and use the gas to navigate the course.
The drawback is classification. SCCA classifies the car in FS:
- E90 chassis, all (incl. 335, M3)
- Camaro (incl. SS)
- Mustang (incl. GT)

Giving up 200hp & 2" tread width per tire leaves you struggling to be within 5 seconds of the fast car in class. That said, for an underpowered, understeering, overweight sedan, it does pretty well at putting a smile on your face.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
tdavis42
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
The drawback is classification. SCCA classifies the car in FS:
- E90 chassis, all (incl. 335, M3)
- Camaro (incl. SS)
- Mustang (incl. GT)

Giving up 200hp & 2" tread width per tire leaves you struggling to be within 5 seconds of the fast car in class. That said, for an underpowered, understeering, overweight sedan, it does pretty well at putting a smile on your face.
Ya I'm not worried about winning just getting out there and safely driving my car at its max without the fear of hurting myself, someone else, or my car on a curb. I hear they might reclass the M3 out at least next year. I race STX class. I have gotten rid of all understeer and added a few more HP's. Out here the BRZ/FRS are the cars to have in STX class. We don't see any Camaro's on the track but plenty on the street and most Mustangs are modded out of STX class.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
... I have gotten rid of all understeer and added a few more HP's.
Would you mind sharing your secrets? (regarding understeer)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 07:53 PM   #5
tdavis42
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
Would you mind sharing your secrets? (regarding understeer)
I upgraded the front arms to M3, installed the M3 front sway bar for E90 or E92 not the bigger E93 M3, and stiffened up the rear subframe with the whiteline subframe inserts. I also have the sport package with MSport suspension.

All of that with a little more power really helps even things out. Like I said my tires were on their last leg and I couldn't keep the back end planted but still had control of the car with controlled slides and front tires taking me where I wanted to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #6
Faredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Ya I'm not worried about winning just getting out there and safely driving my car at its max without the fear of hurting myself, someone else, or my car on a curb.
Thats what im talking about! Our local autoX isnt SCCA and classes are a little different. Hell I have a Lincoln continental in my class. Hes not very fast but he whips that boat like Sea Biscuit.
Did you replace upper AND lower with M3 control arms?
Mods related to trouble shooting posts: Stock Turbos, MHD OTS V7 stage 2+ 93 oct, VRSF Downpipes, VRSF Relocated inlets, CTS Turbo 7" Intercooler, Tial BOV with upgraded line 5.56mm, index 12 injectors, A/T OEM Flash.
Appreciate 0