E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Clutch slipping - going to dealer - how should they test it?

01-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Clutch slipping - going to dealer - how should they test it?

Hi guys

Stock e92 335i performance-wise (no tune) and the clutch is slipping on WOT pulls from 2,000-2,500 RPM in tall gears (3-6). The RPMs jump up and you can hear/feel the slip and then they come back down and the car resumes pulling.

I have a dealer appointment soon - how should they be testing my clutch?

It's impossible to detect this slipping under normal around-town driving. When I asked about this at a previous dealer visit I took a ride with a tech who rode with me, saw the RPMs oscillating like that, said it could be "turbo lag" and that he was watching my speed not my RPMs. W. T. F.

I have CPO warranty and extended maintenance (clutch is covered under extended maintenance) and I want to make sure I get this fixed properly.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
      01-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Tell them to test the car doing a low rpm WOT pull in 5th. That's what I told them to do when I had mine replaced. That tech is an idiot if he thinks that is turbo lag.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
That tech is an idiot if he thinks that is turbo lag.
No kidding. I certainly didn't want him "fixing" it after that.

Thanks for the advice
      01-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkr335 View Post
Hi guys

Stock e92 335i performance-wise (no tune) and the clutch is slipping on WOT pulls from 2,000-2,500 RPM in tall gears (3-6). The RPMs jump up and you can hear/feel the slip and then they come back down and the car resumes pulling.

I have a dealer appointment soon - how should they be testing my clutch?

It's impossible to detect this slipping under normal around-town driving. When I asked about this at a previous dealer visit I took a ride with a tech who rode with me, saw the RPMs oscillating like that, said it could be "turbo lag" and that he was watching my speed not my RPMs. W. T. F.

I have CPO warranty and extended maintenance (clutch is covered under extended maintenance) and I want to make sure I get this fixed properly.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Are you sure that is not the CDV?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Are you sure that is not the CDV?
Yep. Removed it long ago

**edit ** correction - replaced it with a gutless one long ago.
      01-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
Big Tom
Banned
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i n54 e92 MT

This is why I don't like the eBay Clutch Stop...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
This is why I don't like the eBay Clutch Stop...
This is why I didn't like the original owner putting 31,000 miles on it in a year and a half in Delaware/Phila traffic with the stock CDV in.

Ebay clutch stop has no effect on how the clutch engages - simply removes a bit of extra pedal travel.
      01-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
Shellacked135i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 09 335xi

If its slipping in a 3rd gear pull, then have them replicate it in a 3rd gear pull. Simple enough.
The car has good torque down low, so 3 or 4th down low on the highway should get it to slip if its slipping.
If its only slipping on a 3-4 shift at WOT, then I would be hard pressed to tell them its slipping yet, cause they wont be going 100+ to see if its slipping. You would need to wait for it to get worse.
I cant believe the tech said turbo lag.... is he dumb?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

I assume to really be able to check it, they need to crack open the space and get a gauge on the plates for thickness and wear?
      01-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
Shellacked135i
Banned
Rep

Oh and I would put back the CDV and take away the clutch stop. They will easily try to blame it on something you did if they can.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

2nd on putting the stock CDV back in and the clutch stop. They can point at the stop and say that the clutch wasn't fully disengaging and this is why it's toast or they could get curious and check your CDV to make sure it's still stock.
      01-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by My E90 View Post
2nd on putting the stock CDV back in and the clutch stop. They can point at the stop and say that the clutch wasn't fully disengaging and this is why it's toast or they could get curious and check your CDV to make sure it's still stock.
Yeah I thought about that but two things:

a) It's widely accepted at this point that the stock CDV actually increases clutch wear by introducing artificial "slip" and, as you know, in order to deny coverage they have to prove your part could plausibly have caused the problem. With the CDV removal (or modification - and btw the replacement looks exactly like OEM and has been in there for ages, no one will ever look at it), the effect is manifestly the opposite - it increases clutch life.

b) The clutch stop speaks for itself. It either interferes with the clutch disengaging or it doesnt. Mine doesn't. It's not some sort of variable like adding a tune that "might" cause premature wear.

Anyway, back to the original question - does anyone know if the dealer driving it on the road is the only way to test it?

Is there not some way to test how the clutch holds without getting on the highway and stepping on it? Or without disassembling it to check actual wear?
      01-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
Shellacked135i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkr335 View Post
Yeah I thought about that but two things:

a) It's widely accepted at this point that the stock CDV actually increases clutch wear by introducing artificial "slip" and, as you know, in order to deny coverage they have to prove your part could plausibly have caused the problem. With the CDV removal (or modification - and btw the replacement looks exactly like OEM and has been in there for ages, no one will ever look at it), the effect is manifestly the opposite - it increases clutch life.

b) The clutch stop speaks for itself. It either interferes with the clutch disengaging or it doesnt. Mine doesn't. It's not some sort of variable like adding a tune that "might" cause premature wear.

Anyway, back to the original question - does anyone know if the dealer driving it on the road is the only way to test it?

Is there not some way to test how the clutch holds without getting on the highway and stepping on it? Or without disassembling it to check actual wear?
I wont pry too much, but what us as enthusiast accept, like clutch stop and CDV, BMW sees it as a modification, and its technically a modification which can interfere with the car, in this case the clutch.

They will quickly look to save a dime if they can, not to mention they will not have a tech putting in a clutch for a half a day. Ive worked at dealers for years including a SA at one point myself, again, if I was you, I would put back the CDV and stock clutch stop. In regards to your last question, IDK, but if the clutch is slipping its slipping on the road.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
EastBayE90
Formerly (-(ellblazer420
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i M/T, 15 F80 M3 DCT

Garage List
Shellacked135i is right a dealership will try to get out of doing a warranty replacement on the clutch if they can. Why give them a reason to turn you down. Take out the clutch stop at the very least before taking the car in. As far as testing the clutch for slippage there is a way. The car can be placed in gear preferably 3rd gear or 4th gear. With the e-brake pulled up and engaged act as if you were trying to slip the clutch and take off in 3rd gear or 4th. If the clutch is worn your rpm's will go up and you will almost be able to fully release the clutch. If the clutch is still in good shape it should kill the engine and stall out the car. Simple test just don't rev too hard and drop the clutch. Just smoothly release the clutch with light throttle.
Appreciate 0