E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Active Autowerke Review

01-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Active Autowerke Review

In December I purchased a set of PLM Downpipes, and after a lot of fitment issues and what not I discovered you really do get what you pay for, and I paid for cheap downpipes that ended up rubbing on my frame etc.

On Friday 14th of January I was almost certain I wanted ar design downpipes as everyone had perfect fitment and zero issues, but due to a long lead time Mike@N54Tuning persuaded me to go with some Active Autowerke 3" Catless downpipes which when compared to the ar downpipes are almost IDENTICAL.

So i ordered the Active autowerke downpipes, and on monday went ahead and drove over to Miami to the Active Autowerke Showroom to collect them.

The trip to miami was actually very short, only an hour and half or so and I was so excited as their shop looks great online so I was very excited to get over there and see for myself!

When I arrived I felt like a kid walking into a candy store! I couldn't stop smiling and Viral, a salesman at active, introduced himself and immediately was at my attention to help me with everything! He started my having my downpipes all boxed up for me and while this was being done took me on a tour of the showroom and their garage. Everyone there was really friendly and I managed to get a few goodies while i was in and my license plate is now representing for them

I managed to see 2 Stage 2 supercharged E9X M3's they had in, one E90 on some AMAZING ADV1. Rims which was jaw-dropping. I also managed to get to see a few of their race cars they had such as the race across america car and their Sebring track car.

I discussed a few things with Viral and he was definately the most helpful car person I have ever dealt with, he discussed every car they had and definately knew what he was talking about so after such a great few hours at Active Autowerke I decided that I was going to do them a favour and right up a review for them!

Heres a couple pics I snapped at the showroom before I go into my review on the downpipes

Okay so now onto the downpipes!

I had them installed on the Tuesday, so yesterday, and I was very nervous but at the same time very excited to finally have a great product with garaunteed fitment! I took a couple pictures while they were just finishing up the install! The fitment appeared to be perfect! There was over half an inch between the frame and the downpipe, where as on the PLM there was -3MM. There was also space between the pipes so they werent rubbing or anything!

Here is a picture i took at active autowerke of the downpipes, then a couple of my install

After the install was done I took it for a spin, and WOW the sound was amazing, I am running stock catback for now, and the sound was much deeper, not intrusive but I just kept wanting to get on it! The power was also much improved over stock, the throttle response was much better and more responsive.

So Just my .02 cents on Active Autowerke, their great products and great Service!

By the way install was done at Debold Motorsports in South Florida, and also a big thanks to Mike@N54Tuning who has been a great help throughout my project so far MORE TO COME SOON!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Forcefed3
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [1.00]
That's such an awesome shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
They look like their touching/very close to touching. I've held a few different brands of downpipes in my hand & I can tell you those look nothing like AR's

Nice shop though!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
alexc93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieira24 View Post
They look like their touching/very close to touching. I've held a few different brands of downpipes in my hand & I can tell you those look nothing like AR's

Nice shop though!

That was before they were twisted for perfect fitment but figured i'd throw that picture up anyways!

No they dont look "appearance" anything like ar but fitment and shape and bends just like them.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
Shellacked135i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 09 335xi

Surprised you had a bad experience with the PLM, I heard nothing but good. Maybe their quality control isnt up to par.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
alexc93
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellacked135i View Post
Surprised you had a bad experience with the PLM, I heard nothing but good. Maybe their quality control isnt up to par.

They are great for the 135 because i guess there is a little more room to play between the frame and the dp but on the 335 its way too tight
Appreciate 0